Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 4:23 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Ex Spouses~Child Support Claims Question

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 11 years ago by USAF Girl.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
San Diego
United States
Member #36354
April 1, 2006
10 Posts
Posted: April 9, 2006, 12:49 am - IP Logged

When I win the $189 Mega Millions jackpot this coming Tuesday, is there anyway my husbands' ex-spouse can claim any portion of the jackpot for child support for their two children?

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
    Michigan
    United States
    Member #22395
    September 24, 2005
    1583 Posts
    Posted: April 9, 2006, 12:59 am - IP Logged

If you file a joint return and the child support collection is at the IRS level, then I say yes.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
      Member #2338
      September 17, 2003
      2063 Posts
      Posted: April 9, 2006, 12:59 am - IP Logged

Most likely. You would really need a good lawyer for that trust. When you marry someone with children then those are the risks you take.

st.germain's avatar - Tarlor
        chicago ill.
        United States
        Member #3600
        February 4, 2004
        337 Posts
        Posted: April 9, 2006, 10:32 am - IP Logged

I wouldn't worry about that because I plan on winning the whole amount  by myself.  Claiming it under a trust is another way of saying that you don't trust anyone else with your money.  White Bounce

four4me's avatar - gate1
          MD
          United States
          Member #1701
          June 18, 2003
          8360 Posts
          Posted: April 9, 2006, 10:38 am - IP Logged

When I win the $189 Mega Millions jackpot this coming Tuesday, is there anyway my husbands' ex-spouse can claim any portion of the jackpot for child support for their two children?

I'm sure it's only your blood relatives you need to deal with. Your husbands ex isn't entitled to anything of yours.

four4me's avatar - gate1
            MD
            United States
            Member #1701
            June 18, 2003
            8360 Posts
            Posted: April 9, 2006, 10:41 am - IP Logged

I wouldn't worry about that because I plan on winning the whole amount  by myself.  Claiming it under a trust is another way of saying that you don't trust anyone else with your money.  White Bounce

i have dibs on the jackpot win also. Glad to see you posting again St.rermain. See Ya!

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
              Member #5344
              June 30, 2004
              23641 Posts
              Posted: April 9, 2006, 10:50 am - IP Logged

If your husband is behind on childsupport, probably..

When TN first started scratch offs.. A man won $7,000 on Lucky 7's.. He drove to Nashville to Collect and was given $2.68.  The rest was for Child support.  He was behind and the state was taking care of his children.

If you have any fines, taxes.. etc not paid.. State sees to it that those are paid first.

As far as sharing with the children.. Trust funds could be set up for them..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

chicago ill.
                United States
                Member #3600
                February 4, 2004
                337 Posts
                Posted: April 9, 2006, 10:53 am - IP Logged

i have dibs on the jackpot win also. Glad to see you posting again St.rermain. See Ya!

I'm getting back in the swing of things again. Always good to hear from you. I read every one of your posts. Your one very intelligent guy here . I Still hold my promise to you to start up your motorcycle "chop" shop when I win. LOL!!!Party

four4me's avatar - gate1
                  MD
                  United States
                  Member #1701
                  June 18, 2003
                  8360 Posts
                  Posted: April 9, 2006, 11:06 am - IP Logged

Thank's for your offer. I looked at a building the other day 1300 a month plus utilities. 2 floors 1800 sq foot each floor. I'm almost tempted to go for it. But i havent put the whole plan together it isn't something i could do all by myself. Need to find employees that are willing to get into a startup mode and suffer some losses until we get profitable. Still it's good to dream maybe that will come true maybe not. Meanwhile i'll keep looking for a cheaper building.

chicago ill.
                    United States
                    Member #3600
                    February 4, 2004
                    337 Posts
                    Posted: April 9, 2006, 11:14 am - IP Logged

How about starting up a motorcycle "driving education" course at first and then from your enthusiasts you may be able to get some to enter  into your dream with you? You'll need a couple of acres for your obstacle course..with stopsigns and stoplights..mannequin pedestrians and that sort of stuff.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                      MD
                      United States
                      Member #1701
                      June 18, 2003
                      8360 Posts
                      Posted: April 9, 2006, 11:29 am - IP Logged

I think we have a couple of those here in Md. I know the state MVA has a program. i am not interested in teaching people how to drive MC's. Or dealing with the states rules and regulations reguarding such a venture. Eventually my mind will wander into an area that will get me going again until then i'll keep dreaming about stuff.

4 things you need to start a buisness

1- goods or services
                      2- the building
                      3- the employees
                      4- capital to start and maintain business
                        LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                        Tennessee
                        United States
                        Member #7853
                        October 15, 2004
                        11338 Posts
                        Posted: April 9, 2006, 6:13 pm - IP Logged

very good chance you'll pay something......

San Diego
                          United States
                          Member #36354
                          April 1, 2006
                          10 Posts
                          Posted: April 9, 2006, 6:32 pm - IP Logged

I'm sure it's only your blood relatives you need to deal with. Your husbands ex isn't entitled to anything of yours.

Thanks for all the insight!

I have determined that I like FOUR4me response the best and I'm going with that one.

He doesn't owe any back child support - they have equal custody. 

So, I am going to establish a TRUST, file taxes separately from my spouse and get the best lawyer money can buy!

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                            Wandering Aimlessly
                            United States
                            Member #25360
                            November 5, 2005
                            4461 Posts
                            Posted: April 9, 2006, 6:37 pm - IP Logged

I don't understand the question. Why not? Every state has different laws, but a parent needs to provide a certain percentage of his income and that income would change. How old are "his" children? Honestly, I'm not passing judgment here, but if you were in her situation, you'd want the best for your children too. So if they are young, I would think he'd want to help out his kids, set up trust funds for college, weddings and make sure his grandchildren also have a good life. That's a lot of money to worry about your husband sharing with his own children. As far as the ex goes, she isn't entitled to a dime unless he already owes her money. I know that a lot of people feel a woman often blows child support on her own needs, but the key word in "child support" is "child" so when someone asks "would his ex get" the answer that comes to mind is "no" but the "child" should get what he deserves.

San Diego
                              United States
                              Member #36354
                              April 1, 2006
                              10 Posts
                              Posted: April 9, 2006, 7:04 pm - IP Logged

I don't understand the question. Why not? Every state has different laws, but a parent needs to provide a certain percentage of his income and that income would change. How old are "his" children? Honestly, I'm not passing judgment here, but if you were in her situation, you'd want the best for your children too. So if they are young, I would think he'd want to help out his kids, set up trust funds for college, weddings and make sure his grandchildren also have a good life. That's a lot of money to worry about your husband sharing with his own children. As far as the ex goes, she isn't entitled to a dime unless he already owes her money. I know that a lot of people feel a woman often blows child support on her own needs, but the key word in "child support" is "child" so when someone asks "would his ex get" the answer that comes to mind is "no" but the "child" should get what he deserves.

With all due respect, I am not saying *not* to support the kids ages 11 and 13. They have 50/50 custody.

If I never win the lottery the children's education will still be provided for. If I never win the lottery we will still pay for the weddings.

When we get to the grandchildren, then that's a different story. I still want my lineage to have values about money, and they should still get a job, go to college and become a productive, contributing member to society and not depend on *free* money(as the children).

I'm thinking ahead--- that if his money grubbing ex comes after my money then I want to know what my rights are and what I should have done or planned ahead of time. I see how she acts with smaller amounts of money, then how will she act if she thinks **he won it? She would be even more crazy.

If my current income is not factored into the equation of child support, then why would my winnings be factored in?

Some children get things and instead of being appreciative towards it, they lose it, don't thank you or take it for granted, therefore when I do win a sizeable amount of money, I will not change their standard of living or gratitude by "buying" them or "giving them more", when I see how they act now.     I would love to buy them a house to live in, that would be in their best interest as opposed to moving from apt to apt. But I want to do things on my own terms, not because some one thinks they are entitled to my winnings by virtue of marriage.

The best things I want for the children are values, honesty, hardwork and success, things you can't buy and are long-lasting, not temporary like money. I want to teach them to fish, not fish for them.