Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 2:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

is powerball really worth it?

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 11 years ago by wealth7.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
Tennessee
United States
Member #7853
October 15, 2004
11338 Posts
Posted: April 12, 2006, 8:07 pm - IP Logged

since they keep raising the matrix and making the game harder and harder driving up the jackpot it causes more people to buy tickets because they want that 250 million.i'm really disapointed in MUSL computerizing hot lotto.now they got rid of one the two 5x multipliers as uncle jim has stated.i don't like the way things are headed here lately and i think they have made a couple bad decisions but thats my opinion.you hear that more and more people are winning nothing.they have changed the way the annuities are paid out.what do you think??

NASHVILLE, TENN
    United States
    Member #33372
    February 20, 2006
    1044 Posts
    Posted: April 12, 2006, 8:18 pm - IP Logged

Since I don't play PB or MM, I really don't care.  I much prefer jackpots I have a chance of winning versus those with astronomical odds that ligtning would have to strike me twice, then run over by a city bus, and, finally, be beaten with a cane by a blind senior citizen just to come close.

Tennessee
      United States
      Member #7853
      October 15, 2004
      11338 Posts
      Posted: April 12, 2006, 8:21 pm - IP Logged

lotto 5 is our best chance gasmeterguy.i feel like i have a real good shot with it.on pick 5 games this year on the prediction board i have 4 out of 5 right at least 50 times.chances are i'm going to hit 5 out of 5 in the next couple years on the board here.i'd like to hit 5 out of 5 on the lotto 5.i'd be happy with 200 or 300 thousand dollars......

Indiana
        United States
        Member #29196
        December 29, 2005
        280 Posts
        Posted: April 12, 2006, 8:23 pm - IP Logged

Mike I agree with you completely.  I dislike the changes Powerball has made and I think it's just a matter of time before they go to a RNG.

Jim 

Money frees you from doing things you dislike.  Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy.  - Groucho Marx

Tennessee
          United States
          Member #7853
          October 15, 2004
          11338 Posts
          Posted: April 12, 2006, 8:26 pm - IP Logged

thanks jim.here is what they are up to.they keep seeing what they can get away with and they do it because most of the powerball buyers don't keep up with the details.....

NASHVILLE, TENN
            United States
            Member #33372
            February 20, 2006
            1044 Posts
            Posted: April 12, 2006, 8:26 pm - IP Logged

I know you do.  And I printed out your predictions.  And I ran them thru my computer with the flimsy system I have develped.  I use your predictions as a map, guiding me thru the mist.  Hopefully I will be the first, the first I say, to develop a system that puts every lottory out of business.  LOL.

I have noticed that you do not go beyone the number 29.  From my meager data and with the power of Excel, I found that 75% of the time, the highest number drawn is over 29.  But that 25% window just might bring one fame and fortune.  One never knows in this business.

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
              Wisconsin
              United States
              Member #1303
              March 27, 2003
              1508 Posts
              Posted: April 12, 2006, 10:47 pm - IP Logged

since they keep raising the matrix and making the game harder and harder driving up the jackpot it causes more people to buy tickets because they want that 250 million.i'm really disapointed in MUSL computerizing hot lotto.now they got rid of one the two 5x multipliers as uncle jim has stated.i don't like the way things are headed here lately and i think they have made a couple bad decisions but thats my opinion.you hear that more and more people are winning nothing.they have changed the way the annuities are paid out.what do you think??

I think it's worth a dollar. Before they raised the matrix, it was worth a dollar. Personally, it has never been worth a lot of time to me spent trying to figure it out. There are simply (and have been) too many numbers in the matrix, and therefore, way too many combinations.  It's never going to be "cracked" by wheeling by one person. A large enough syndicate, maybe.

But its worth a buck, just to play.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                Member #2338
                September 17, 2003
                2063 Posts
                Posted: April 12, 2006, 11:15 pm - IP Logged

The matrix is the only right decision they made. I think the megaplexer/powerplay is a waste of money since I play for the jackpot. If you cover all the powerballs most states end  their liability close to what you would win anyways. Before the matrix change they were stuck in months of pots below 100 million. At that range you would have better luck at a state lottery.

Their bad decisions were several. A terrible annuity that pays a pitance of what it's advertised prize level is. Winners are in for a big surprise when they see the difference between the actual little check and the useless ceremonial big check. I would like it if a game finally had the courage to just offer a cash prize then ridicule the other game for using inflated annuities.

The cap has also limited their sales. I don't know any other game where the focus is on the second prize and not the first. Games with problems focus on second place, well structured games don't.

New Mexico
                  United States
                  Member #12305
                  March 10, 2005
                  2984 Posts
                  Posted: April 12, 2006, 11:16 pm - IP Logged

Hi Mike:

I played the numbers when the game was run by the mob.  I'll probably keep playing Powerball, even though I believe the game was run more honest by the hoods who were hoods, rather than whatever these call themselves.

But the while I spent buying powerplay is over.  I forked out an extra buck per ticket for several months after they changed  it by sleight of hand during the matrix hoopla, but this new change clinches it for me.

Good luck on your pick 5s.

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

Morrison, IL
                    United States
                    Member #4657
                    May 13, 2004
                    1884 Posts
                    Posted: April 13, 2006, 12:50 am - IP Logged

Lottomike, I remember back when Powerball got hit every other week, you were wishing you lived closer to a Mega Millions state. The game isn't THAT much harder to win than it was before they added the two balls, but at least the jackpots won are now more appropriate for the odds than when it was getting hit every other week.

Tennessee
                      United States
                      Member #7853
                      October 15, 2004
                      11338 Posts
                      Posted: April 13, 2006, 12:54 am - IP Logged

i went through a phase where i was really into powerball but i grew out of it and started playing the state pick 5....

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                        Member #2338
                        September 17, 2003
                        2063 Posts
                        Posted: April 13, 2006, 1:02 am - IP Logged

Yes but inspite of Mega having the highest odds it still can't roll once it breaks 300. It already distinguished itself by having the worst annuity since Pepsi Billions.

Morrison, IL
                          United States
                          Member #4657
                          May 13, 2004
                          1884 Posts
                          Posted: April 13, 2006, 1:56 am - IP Logged

lol I guess it is sad that the only way they could justify a higher opening jackpot and rollovers to go with the increased combinations was by inflating the annuity. Unlike Mega Millions, they can't justify it off the strength of their own player base. Also, Mega Millions will roll when it gets past $300 million sometime; it just hasn't happened yet. However, since its sales at high jackpot levels are slipping as well, a $400 million MM jackpot will happen sooner than you think. The only way Powerball did it twice is because it has less combinations purchased in proportion to the total number of combinations it has than Mega Millions has, so it has more of a chance of rolling so many times; Mega is setting the higher increases per roll record though.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                            MD
                            United States
                            Member #1701
                            June 18, 2003
                            8392 Posts
                            Posted: April 13, 2006, 2:02 am - IP Logged

The Question: is powerball really worth it?

It is if your the one holding the winning ticket.

Tennessee
                              United States
                              Member #7853
                              October 15, 2004
                              11338 Posts
                              Posted: April 13, 2006, 2:10 am - IP Logged

The Question: is powerball really worth it?

It is if your the one holding the winning ticket.

the chances of me holding that winning ticket is about as good as me replacing mick jagger in the rolling stones........it could happen! lol