Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 8:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why not a lottery that goes "wide"?

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10353 Posts
Posted: April 16, 2006, 12:39 pm - IP Logged

dvdiva

Very true, but we're talking 20,000,000 (six number games), and 575,000 to one odds (5 /39) to one odds as oppossed to 176,000,000 to one odds.  

I'm saying just increase the potential number of winners. 

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
    Member #2338
    September 17, 2003
    2063 Posts
    Posted: April 16, 2006, 12:49 pm - IP Logged

Yes, you are talking about a jackpotless game. Again there is no interest. El Gordo is only popular because it procedes modern lotteries and it's popularity is declining in the face of Euro millions. Just because YOU don't want someone to win a jackpot or get rich doesn't mean that it's a popular idea. The fact of life is that many in the US are rich and for the lower to middle class the lottery is your only chance of getting there. Powerball makes a focus on the second place but their sales reflect the jackpot and not changes in whatever harebrained scheme they come up with for the second prize.

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
      FEMA Region V Camp #21
      United States
      Member #520
      July 27, 2002
      5699 Posts
      Posted: April 16, 2006, 1:53 pm - IP Logged

I agree with Coin Toss. I don't play MM or PB for all the reasons mentioned above, so their marketing scheme of advertising a huge jackpot doesn't work for me. If the second and third tier prizes were substantially higher I might consider playing those games.

As a potential customer their present payout structure is not appealing and therefore they don't get my money. I don't care if the jackpot goes to one billion dollars I still wouldn't play the game.

As RJOh said, the sales are from the hype of a huge jackpot. And lemmings run off cliffs to their deaths don't they? So the lottery gurus are casting us all as a bunch of idiots that will increase their sales.

Boycott the game if you don't like the way it is set up. Don't be a blind lemming.

Speaking of how the lottery thinks we're all a bunch of dummies, check out the odds on the back of a scratch off ticket. The IL lottery came out with a new game...Monopoly or something. For a $3 ticket you have a chance of winning $30,000 at the odds of 660,000 to one. For a $1 ticket you have a chance of winning a minimum of $100,000 in the state's pick 5 game....and that's if it hasn't rolled over. I believe it's $375,000 today...with odds of 575,750 to one. Go figure.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10353 Posts
        Posted: April 17, 2006, 7:50 pm - IP Logged

From the book Infinite Financial Freedom
        What To Do Before And After You Win The Lottery
        Rob Sanford CFP

p 10 

The World's Largest Lottery

By far the World's largest single lottery evebt is Spain's so-called Navidad (El Gordo).

As you might suspect from its name, this lottery is held a few days prior to Christmas every year in Madrid, Spain.

Over the span of just a few days, Spain awards over, $1,000,000,000 (in U.S. dollars) in prizes.

Over 90 individual prizes each totalling over $2,500,000 apiece (again in U.S. dollars) are given away as part of the celebration.

In some cases, the citizens of an entire town pool thier funds to buy into the Navidad.

p 10