Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 2:32 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do all lottery winners end up being...

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 11 years ago by dnroth.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Entertaiment Capital
United States
Member #37800
April 19, 2006
302 Posts
Posted: April 21, 2006, 7:43 pm - IP Logged

...miserable?

I can think of only one winner who avoided the misery: a Pakistani guy who was a cabbie in DC, who won big and returned to his homeland.

I always hear stories about winners going broke, getting shot or committing suicide. Or maybe the most of them just disappear from public eyes.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
    Dump Water Florida
    United States
    Member #380
    June 5, 2002
    3114 Posts
    Posted: April 22, 2006, 12:29 am - IP Logged

There are thousands of winners every year and we hear about a couple of dozen who cause enough trouble to get into the news.  If you think you will be one of those people, stop playing the lottery at once !!!

I on the other hand believe there is nothing wrong with me money can't cure.

BobP

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
      Tennessee
      United States
      Member #7853
      October 15, 2004
      11338 Posts
      Posted: April 22, 2006, 12:46 am - IP Logged

bob is right.the media only talks about the nutcases.they don't talk about all the happy winners.....

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: April 22, 2006, 12:47 am - IP Logged

If someone is an idiot now, he's going to be an idiot when he gets rich.  The one blessing for which I'm grateful is that I've made so many stupid mistakes in my life and learned from them BEFORE winning the lottery, so the wisdom gained has prepared me for a big win and I won't screw that up!

As far as being miserable, I don't think money can cure everything. However, if given the choice of being poor and miserable or rich and miserable, I'd choose the latter.

atlanta
          United States
          Member #33559
          February 22, 2006
          65 Posts
          Posted: April 22, 2006, 1:20 am - IP Logged

Winning a big jackpot is like nothing else. The way I look at it is you’ll all by yourself once you win. Rich people will not respect you because you got rich by winning the lottery not working your way up and middle class and poor isn’t going to like you either because they think it should have been them or they will only use you for your money. Not saying everyone is like that but the majority, there is going to a lot of smiles in your face but hate when you turn back. I can see why there are so many lottery winner failures. Best way 2 live happy after a huge jackpot win is to keep your name and face out of the news. That way if people ask how you got your money you can make something up.

All my tickets are winners, atleast until the draw proves me wrong. 

Indiana
            United States
            Member #29196
            December 29, 2005
            280 Posts
            Posted: April 22, 2006, 1:34 am - IP Logged

Here's the basic rule:

If you are dysfunctional before you win the lottery you will be dysfunctional after you win the lottery.

Here's the next rule...the so-called Whittaker rule:

If you are not dysfunctional before you win the lottery...you may become dysfunctional after you win the lottery.

Then of course there's the Universal rule:

If you are not dysfunctional before you win the lottery...and you are not dysfunctional after you win the lottery...rest assured...dysfunctional people will find you after you win the lottery.

And finally there's the Media rule:

If we can't make you appear dysfunctional after winning the lottery...you are of no value even after winning the lottery.

Jim 

Money frees you from doing things you dislike.  Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy.  - Groucho Marx

Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: April 22, 2006, 2:21 am - IP Logged

Jim, do you know anyone who isn't dysfunctional?  He must be very lonely! 

Alt1, I'm not so sure about your comment regarding rich people. What's the difference between all the Trust Fund brats and someone who wins the Lottery? It's not as if they earned it just by being born into a wealthy family. Also, look at all the people in Hollywood who make several million in just one year. Jay Leno, for example, makes $30 million a year according to Forbes, and he's a happily married guy, just one with hundreds of classic cars and motorcycles.

It is true that people can be outcasts because they are very rich. I remember reading about Barbara Hutton, one of the most famous miserable rich people who was called the "Poor Little Rich Girl" but I think a lot has to do with your personality, family history, self-esteem and attitude. Paris Hilton is having a blast acting like sleazy White trash.

Baton Rouge, LA
                United States
                Member #4602
                May 7, 2004
                700 Posts
                Posted: April 22, 2006, 10:44 am - IP Logged

The ones who get the publicity are the ones who do foolish things. I think it's best to live a quiet life after winning. Some winners go on wild spending sprees, others try to rub people's faces in it, and the list goes on. My plans after winning to live a quiet life and a quiet place.

PrisonerSix

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                  adelaide sa
                  Australia
                  Member #37136
                  April 11, 2006
                  3316 Posts
                  Posted: April 23, 2006, 5:08 am - IP Logged

I never told a soul after my big win, and i never will.

... erm wheres the delete buttonLurking 

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                    Member #5344
                    June 30, 2004
                    23641 Posts
                    Posted: April 23, 2006, 7:28 am - IP Logged

Winning a big jackpot is like nothing else. The way I look at it is you’ll all by yourself once you win. Rich people will not respect you because you got rich by winning the lottery not working your way up and middle class and poor isn’t going to like you either because they think it should have been them or they will only use you for your money. Not saying everyone is like that but the majority, there is going to a lot of smiles in your face but hate when you turn back. I can see why there are so many lottery winner failures. Best way 2 live happy after a huge jackpot win is to keep your name and face out of the news. That way if people ask how you got your money you can make something up.

That way if people ask how you got your money you can make something up.

If someone ask me a question like that .. I would come back with  "Why do you ask?"

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

Litebets27's avatar - power
                      Maryland
                      United States
                      Member #10465
                      January 14, 2005
                      6065 Posts
                      Posted: April 23, 2006, 8:46 am - IP Logged

Here's the basic rule:

If you are dysfunctional before you win the lottery you will be dysfunctional after you win the lottery.

Here's the next rule...the so-called Whittaker rule:

If you are not dysfunctional before you win the lottery...you may become dysfunctional after you win the lottery.

Then of course there's the Universal rule:

If you are not dysfunctional before you win the lottery...and you are not dysfunctional after you win the lottery...rest assured...dysfunctional people will find you after you win the lottery.

And finally there's the Media rule:

If we can't make you appear dysfunctional after winning the lottery...you are of no value even after winning the lottery.

Jim 

I Agree!

Oh, so true.

litebets

Feeling,  PRICELESS!!!Banana

Come on Jackpot!!!

Coastal Georgia
                        United States
                        Member #2653
                        October 30, 2003
                        1866 Posts
                        Posted: April 23, 2006, 4:23 pm - IP Logged

Remember, you can't fix stupid...

No amount of money can fix stupid. You can fix ignorance, but not stupidity.

DD

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
                          Wisconsin
                          United States
                          Member #1303
                          March 27, 2003
                          1508 Posts
                          Posted: April 23, 2006, 5:26 pm - IP Logged

...miserable?

I can think of only one winner who avoided the misery: a Pakistani guy who was a cabbie in DC, who won big and returned to his homeland.

I always hear stories about winners going broke, getting shot or committing suicide. Or maybe the most of them just disappear from public eyes.

It's kind of like when the old Soviet Union was still around.  You never saw people trying to break into the Soviet Union. 

And you never see really wealthy people trying to become poor by giving it all away.

That tells you something.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

United States
                            Member #17555
                            June 22, 2005
                            5582 Posts
                            Posted: April 23, 2006, 6:06 pm - IP Logged

I hate that statement of "Money won't buy you happiness". Give me a break. I wish I had that problem.

I made my own original statement years ago, to reply to that idiotic statement above.

"I'd rather be rich and unhappy than poor and unhappy. Atleast I can afford really expensive psychiatrists".....LOL

Alot of people I meet everyday are like Mina birds. They repeat alot cliches without thinking it out for themselves. If they really took the time and thought about how ridiculous the above statement is, maybe they would wake up, and not have to work like a dog everyday for someone else, making their boss rich.

If you're looking at money to ultimately heal you spiritually, then the statement above would be correct. But in the meantime, most of life is physical in nature, and demands physical expectations, such as total healthcare, never worring about bills, a decent house in a good neighborhood, being able to provide for your parents and close family, donating generously to your local charity, riding in a Porche instead of a Dodge. LOL

So.... the money won't help make people spiritually happier with their conscience, which I think lies in the flaw of that quote, but it does provide for the physical needs of humans. The flaw is that most people interpret the meaning of happiness in a generic form. What they perceive as happiness.

I can live guilt free while I donate to charities. See how simple that was....?LOL

At the end though, health is the number one on the list, way before riches. All the money in the world, won't do anybody good if they're lying on a hospital bed. 

Wandering Aimlessly
                              United States
                              Member #25360
                              November 5, 2005
                              4461 Posts
                              Posted: April 23, 2006, 6:06 pm - IP Logged

...miserable?

It's kind of like when the old Soviet Union was still around.  You never saw people trying to break into the Soviet Union. 

And you never see really wealthy people trying to become poor by giving it all away.

That tells you something.

Ambelamba - I think when I read that story on this board, it sounded as if everything wasn't so wonderful for this man. He did great things for some people in Pakistan with the money, but it still wasn't enough because he was labeled as a man who won "The Lottery" and he could only do so much with his prize money.

Badger - I agree with the comment "you never see really wealthy people trying to become poor" but there are many people with money who are generous and give a very large portion of their money to charity. I think if money is managed wisely, you can accomplish both being rich and giving your money away. If I won a very large jackpot like the MM or PB, after helping my immediate family I would probably make investments and then take the profits or interest from those investments to help people, and I'd work and donate my income. I mean, even with "only" $50 million at 5%, you could give away over $2 million every year and still have your principal. However, since I can't take it with me when I leave this world, I doubt if I'd ever care about having $50 million invested in the first place!

(Oops, I just noticed you said "giving it all away."  As Emily Latella on SNL used to say "Never Mind!")