Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 5:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do all lottery winners end up being...

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 11 years ago by dnroth.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: April 23, 2006, 6:16 pm - IP Logged

"At the end though, health is the number one on the list, way before riches. All the money in the world, won't do anybody good if they're lying on a hospital bed."

Pac, we were posting at the same time so I didn't see your post. Look at the time logged on both and the fact that we are strangers on the same board posting exactly at the same second in Bonita Springs, FL!! 

Anyway, I sort of agree and disagree with your statement about health. It's true that money cannot cure AIDS or cancer and it won't stop Alzheimer's, but it will certainly make being ill a lot more comfortable for the afflicted.  Have you ever been a patient in a hospital ward? Not a pretty sight. What about all those people who died in those Nursing Homes in New Orleans? Had they been living in a nice home with private care, the people in Saint Rita's probably wouldn't have drowned in their beds.

United States
    Member #33085
    February 18, 2006
    744 Posts
    Posted: April 23, 2006, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

Here's the basic rule:

If you are dysfunctional before you win the lottery you will be dysfunctional after you win the lottery.

Here's the next rule...the so-called Whittaker rule:

If you are not dysfunctional before you win the lottery...you may become dysfunctional after you win the lottery.

Then of course there's the Universal rule:

If you are not dysfunctional before you win the lottery...and you are not dysfunctional after you win the lottery...rest assured...dysfunctional people will find you after you win the lottery.

And finally there's the Media rule:

If we can't make you appear dysfunctional after winning the lottery...you are of no value even after winning the lottery.

Jim 

I Agree!

Oh, so true.

litebets

That's the best quote of the year so far...

lotterybraker's avatar - pyramid
      mississippi
      United States
      Member #34478
      March 3, 2006
      5906 Posts
      Posted: April 23, 2006, 7:34 pm - IP Logged

I have to agree with the Unclejim Quote..that is just to funny..I am still laughing about it..and whats even worse..its true..lol ...Best quote gets my vote..lol

Morrison, IL
        United States
        Member #4657
        May 13, 2004
        1884 Posts
        Posted: April 23, 2006, 11:59 pm - IP Logged

Someone in this thread said rich people won't respect lottery winners because they didn't have to earn it. While that is true, then how are lottery winners different from a lot of those rich people who inherited their wealth? Coming across great wealth by inheritance or luck are both referred to as "easy money." I do suppose that a lot of people who have inherited their riches work to keep it that way so they can pass it to the next generation though, and I guess as another example Paris Hilton continues to make herself even richer by working to gain the respect of her fellow richies as well (as opposed to the former image of her living off her "daddy's money").

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
          Member #2338
          September 17, 2003
          2063 Posts
          Posted: April 24, 2006, 1:56 am - IP Logged

Remember, you can't fix stupid...

No amount of money can fix stupid. You can fix ignorance, but not stupidity.

DD

Well at least you can fix as in neuter and spay so as to prevent the continuation of stupidity. Unfortunately breeding like rabbits goes with stupidy in too many cases.

dnroth's avatar - pryd

United States
            Member #37110
            April 10, 2006
            43 Posts
            Posted: April 24, 2006, 7:31 pm - IP Logged

Someone in this thread said rich people won't respect lottery winners because they didn't have to earn it. While that is true, then how are lottery winners different from a lot of those rich people who inherited their wealth? Coming across great wealth by inheritance or luck are both referred to as "easy money." I do suppose that a lot of people who have inherited their riches work to keep it that way so they can pass it to the next generation though, and I guess as another example Paris Hilton continues to make herself even richer by working to gain the respect of her fellow richies as well (as opposed to the former image of her living off her "daddy's money").

There is a culture specific to the rich, especially the old rich, where money is simply inherited (i.e. the coupon clippers).  Suddenly rich people like lottery winners simply do not know the cultural protocols to fit in with the coupon clippers.

Then again, who would want the respect of a bunch of stuck-up spoon-fed morons, anyhow?

If you're that desperate to fit in with the coupon clippers, there are those that offer classes so you can learn the behavior.  Once rich, I'm sure you could afford them.

To each their own.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
              adelaide sa
              Australia
              Member #37136
              April 11, 2006
              3316 Posts
              Posted: April 25, 2006, 12:00 am - IP Logged

a good response to the topic start, is how many lottery players end up rich and miserable?

how many end up rich at all?

the odds are against u ever winning, but if u do it looks like there are prob only 20% or so that end up wishing they had never won. 

buying the old slum i used to live in, if i ever win , if ever i feel misserable, emptying out my wallet, and staying there for a week would clear my soul.

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
                Member #91
                January 19, 2002
                12009 Posts
                Posted: April 25, 2006, 1:19 pm - IP Logged

Better to have "won and lost" a lottery than never to have won at all !!!

Dolce, Illinois
                  United States
                  Member #26462
                  November 18, 2005
                  50 Posts
                  Posted: April 25, 2006, 3:42 pm - IP Logged

I read someplace awhile back that several of the lottery winners stay in touch, and have their own networking scheme to assist each other.  I'd imagine they would know and understand the problems of sudden jackpot wealth better than most. 

It's also wise for them to remain underground to some extent.  One big winner said that people assume all lottery winners are more accessible than regular rich people, and are easier to reach and bother.  He said that, at first, especially where he lived (in a regular middle class area) his family was just overwhelmed with money seekers, some of them not very nice.  They decided to move, far away, and stay connected only with close friends or family.

That same winner also said he had to use security at times to protect his family.

It seems that most winners, althought changed a bit, live rather normal lives and stay out of trouble.  Some don't.  There are no tests required to play, so, hence, any legal adult with a buck can win.  Given that, and that fact that winning itself can bring on many problems, its amazing so few end up like Big Jack in WV.

dnroth's avatar - pryd

United States
                    Member #37110
                    April 10, 2006
                    43 Posts
                    Posted: April 25, 2006, 5:57 pm - IP Logged

I read someplace awhile back that several of the lottery winners stay in touch, and have their own networking scheme to assist each other. I'd imagine they would know and understand the problems of sudden jackpot wealth better than most.

Ah yes, a special club for the lottery winners.  Reminds me of the Stonecutters on the Simpsons...