Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 11:27 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lotto Documentary

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 11 years ago by BevsPicks.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
Washington State
United States
Member #33973
February 26, 2006
347 Posts
Posted: April 27, 2006, 12:58 am - IP Logged

hermmermferm said "Don't you question your own motives for playing lottery?"

I don't question my own motives in the least.  I play primarily because, in addition to a bit of recreation, in the remote chance I should win a large jackpot, the lottery would provide me an opportunity to greatly expand my philanthropy.  How's that for blowing any stereotype you might have had?  And BTW, I live in one of the nicest areas of the city; view property.

Oh, and try not to judge what people are really like or really have by how they dress or look.  If someone saw me leave the grocery or hardware store in my bleach stained old clothes and get into my 20-year-old vehicle, they might reach the conclusion that I'm another down-and-outer spending my grocery money on lottery tickets, too.  A lot of us who are older no longer care that much about putting on airs.  Think about it.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
    Tennessee
    United States
    Member #7853
    October 15, 2004
    11338 Posts
    Posted: April 27, 2006, 1:20 am - IP Logged

your right uff da! i would dress in a t-shirt and jeans even if i had millions.there are plenty of people who dress comfortable no matter what the financial status.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
      Member #2338
      September 17, 2003
      2063 Posts
      Posted: April 27, 2006, 1:41 am - IP Logged

The only reason I drive a 20+ year old car is because I don't want brand new car payments. That and a 20+ year old diesel gets 30+mpg and with current gas prices that's important.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: April 27, 2006, 2:18 am - IP Logged

"A lot of us who are older no longer care that much about putting on airs." Uff Da!

So true. Although I've been that way most of my adult life. I've often thought "there must be something wrong with me" because I have no desire for lots of jewelry or fancy clothes. I get the strangest stares when I say if win the lottery, I'm going to buy a new Camry.

I do agree there are many people who buy lottery tickets who probably should spend the money on groceries. However, in this country $1 doesn't buy much and most people are unaffected by a few bucks a week for a chance at a big win.  It certainly is healthier than buying a pack of cigarettes or a 6-pack of beer. I'm sure if you search hard enough you can always find a horror story about some poor soul who sold a kidney to buy lottery tickets. Funny thing is that the poorer people I know just play the Cash-3 or Play-4 once in while, so they're not even going after a huge win. My neighbor is on social security and drives a $400 clunker, but so far he's done pretty well playing pick-3. I think that's how he bought his last car.

Oh, BTW there is a press release today for the FL Fantasy 5 4/22 game that is heartwarming. An 83 year old man won and said his late wife sent it to him.

"This is a miracle," Cirigliano said. "This was an answer from the Lord."

Cirigliano, who lost his wife to cancer two years ago, attributes his luck to her.

"My wife did this," Cirigliano said. "I know she's watching over me."

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10348 Posts
          Posted: April 27, 2006, 2:35 am - IP Logged

hermmermterm

Rather a person is dirt poor or a blue collar or white collar working slob (which most people are) the lottery is their only real hope of ever breaking out of the rut they find themselves in.

As someone said, the only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

Like BobP said,  where else does $1 have the potential to return millions?

NY
            United States
            Member #23835
            October 16, 2005
            3474 Posts
            Posted: April 27, 2006, 4:18 am - IP Logged

As you can see from responses you've already gotten, asking questions here isn't necessarily going to give you answers you'll find helpful. I expect that part of it is that it's a lot harder to get your point across accurately in writing than it is face to face, especially when you've only made your opening statement and there hasn't been a chance to clarify any confusion that people have. If you'd said you wanted to go to a Ford assembly plant and talk to all of the black workers, I expect that some people would figure that you thought all the workers were black and others would figure that's the demographic you wanted to focus on. Similarly, some would assume your motives were racist and others would figure there was some other reason you wanted to focus on.Maybe a few would try and answer your questions.

Other than 100% of the people here having internet access, I don't imagine there's much difference between the people here and the lottery players you'll find in stores, assuming you go to a variety of areas. With that in mind, if I was in your shoes I'd just wade in and get started. To get the information you need you'll have to ask a lot of questions, so it should be easy enough to start out with innocuous questions and let things develop from there. Unless you just want to take a poll you shouldn't want to ask everyone the same questions in the same order anyway.

I expect that one of the things you'll find is that different people have different ideas about what the "American dream" is in the first place, and the destination you start with may not be where you end up. Personally, I don't see why anyone who thinks they've already got their dream would play the lottery (other than a gambling problem or some other issue), so I don't see how they'd fit in a documentary abut instant riches and the American dream.  Clearly there are other people for whom the lottery really is the only (though very unlikely) way of acheiving their (financial) dreams. I'm guessing, though I'm not necessarily convinced, that most players fall somewhere in the middle.

If it helps any, here's my personal take on the lottery and the dream. I'm pretty sure that when I'm on my deathbed I won't be laying there wishing I'd worked harder. If I wanted to spend more time busting my ass and not having the time to enjoy what that brings me I could have more money and be more successful the way some people define success. A bigger house might be nice, but no amount of money will buy a house with the kinds of thinsg I'm most interested in. The world is full of all sorts of fun things, and there's never enough time to do everything you'd like to do. Some require money, and they all require time.  I know my chances of winning the lottery are  extremely small, but it is my only chance of having the kind of money that would let me do about anything I could realistically want to do and have the time to try and do most of it. Just because I see my cup as half full doesn't mean I don't know it only has half of what it could hold.

dnroth's avatar - pryd

United States
              Member #37110
              April 10, 2006
              43 Posts
              Posted: April 27, 2006, 6:32 pm - IP Logged

Hi All,

I'm begining research for what I imagine to be a short documentary on lottery.  If all goes according to plan I also "hope" to tie lottery to a larger examination of the american dream. 

To begin, I would like to start small.  I would like to conduct interviews at my local convience store with all the older, poorer people that habitually buy lottery tickets.  However, I'm concerned with the way in which I should approach the subject with them.  I certaintly don't want to come off as cynical and/or offensive.  Are there any questions that I should avoid?  I'd rather not make the interview about lottery but more focused towards their own personal reasons for playing lottery.. their own prospects of fortune.. what they would do with the money won...  have they lost hope in their own achievements and skills that they feel their only way to get ahead is to play lottery?  Of course I don't want to ask these kind of questions without first knowing what is or isn't appropriate. 

Thanks for your time and consideration..

Best Regards,

Josh 

Just what the doctor ordered:  Another artist playing ethnographic sociologist.

Real sociologists are annoying enough.

United States
                Member #33085
                February 18, 2006
                743 Posts
                Posted: April 27, 2006, 6:38 pm - IP Logged

No offense, but I don't think you'd make a very good investigative reporter.  You have already made up your mind as to who plays the lottery and why.

To stereotype lottery players is a tired, worn out message that we are all bored with.

Of course, I am speaking about your reference to "the older, poorer people that habitually buy lottery tickets", as well as your other slanted points. 

Please stay far away from the subject of lottery games and players, as your documentary would be filled with stereotypes and mis-informed ideas. 

Again, no offense, but you sound like a social-engineering type who thinks you know what is best for people.  You don't.

Well Said Todd!