Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:44 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lotto Documentary

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 11 years ago by BevsPicks.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
ny
United States
Member #38293
April 26, 2006
3 Posts
Posted: April 26, 2006, 8:40 pm - IP Logged

Hi All,

I'm begining research for what I imagine to be a short documentary on lottery.  If all goes according to plan I also "hope" to tie lottery to a larger examination of the american dream. 

To begin, I would like to start small.  I would like to conduct interviews at my local convience store with all the older, poorer people that habitually buy lottery tickets.  However, I'm concerned with the way in which I should approach the subject with them.  I certaintly don't want to come off as cynical and/or offensive.  Are there any questions that I should avoid?  I'd rather not make the interview about lottery but more focused towards their own personal reasons for playing lottery.. their own prospects of fortune.. what they would do with the money won...  have they lost hope in their own achievements and skills that they feel their only way to get ahead is to play lottery?  Of course I don't want to ask these kind of questions without first knowing what is or isn't appropriate. 

Thanks for your time and consideration..

Best Regards,

Josh 

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23259 Posts
    Posted: April 26, 2006, 8:47 pm - IP Logged

No offense, but I don't think you'd make a very good investigative reporter.  You have already made up your mind as to who plays the lottery and why.

To stereotype lottery players is a tired, worn out message that we are all bored with.

Of course, I am speaking about your reference to "the older, poorer people that habitually buy lottery tickets", as well as your other slanted points. 

Please stay far away from the subject of lottery games and players, as your documentary would be filled with stereotypes and mis-informed ideas. 

Again, no offense, but you sound like a social-engineering type who thinks you know what is best for people.  You don't.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
      Tennessee
      United States
      Member #7853
      October 15, 2004
      11338 Posts
      Posted: April 26, 2006, 8:50 pm - IP Logged

Hi All,

I'm begining research for what I imagine to be a short documentary on lottery.  If all goes according to plan I also "hope" to tie lottery to a larger examination of the american dream. 

To begin, I would like to start small.  I would like to conduct interviews at my local convience store with all the older, poorer people that habitually buy lottery tickets.  However, I'm concerned with the way in which I should approach the subject with them.  I certaintly don't want to come off as cynical and/or offensive.  Are there any questions that I should avoid?  I'd rather not make the interview about lottery but more focused towards their own personal reasons for playing lottery.. their own prospects of fortune.. what they would do with the money won...  have they lost hope in their own achievements and skills that they feel their only way to get ahead is to play lottery?  Of course I don't want to ask these kind of questions without first knowing what is or isn't appropriate. 

Best Regards,

Josh 

you don't know too much about the average lottery player.looks like you are lost in regards to this topic.i'm middle class,young and i habitually buy lottery tickets,lol.

Coastal Georgia
        United States
        Member #2653
        October 30, 2003
        1866 Posts
        Posted: April 26, 2006, 8:52 pm - IP Logged

No offense, but I don't think you'd make a very good investigative reporter.  You have already made up your mind as to who plays the lottery and why.

To stereotype lottery players is a tired, worn out message that we are all bored with.

Of course, I am speaking about your reference to "the older, poorer people that habitually buy lottery tickets", as well as your other slanted points. 

Please stay far away from the subject of lottery games and players, as your documentary would be filled with stereotypes and mis-informed ideas. 

Again, no offense, but you sound like a social-engineering type who thinks you know what is best for people.  You don't.

I Agree!

Why don't you talk to people that buy lottery tickets, period -- and try to pretend that you don't have a clue what their social status is or how much money they have ? 

Thoth's avatar - binary
          Findlay, Ohio
          United States
          Member #4855
          May 28, 2004
          400 Posts
          Posted: April 26, 2006, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

"To begin, I would like to start small.  I would like to conduct interviews at my local convience store with all the older, poorer people that habitually buy lottery tickets."

There was a skit on the Carlos Mencia Show the other day: "What do you feed your kids lady??? Losing Lotery Tickets...lol.  Then there was also an article I once read that called the lottery a "tax on stupid people."  Lotto players seem to get stereotyped for some reason.

Most everyone I know who buys lotto tickets is middle class, but then again, I have seen people buy ten dollars or more worth of scratch off tickets that would have been better off spending their money on a bar of soap and a toothbrush!!

~Probability=Odds in Motion~

ny
            United States
            Member #38293
            April 26, 2006
            3 Posts
            Posted: April 26, 2006, 9:19 pm - IP Logged

exactly what i was afraid of..  so let me rephrase:

I live in a poor neighborhood of NYC and the people who play lottery at my corner store are poor.  They play lottery and pay for food with food stamps. 
             I realize that lottery for most people is a game and I am perfectly fine with this. 

I appreciate your comments and I know that questioning people on how they spend their money is a sensitive subject.  The fact that I first posted on this message board should inform you of how aware I am regarding this subject. 

I came to this message board for useful advice and your own personal comments/history on the topic of lottery.  Don't you question your own motives for playing lottery?  Please understand that I would like to explore this subject with the utmost respect for those who play the game and those who don't.

Sincerely Sincere,

Josh 

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
              Charlotte NC
              United States
              Member #17406
              June 18, 2005
              4053 Posts
              Posted: April 26, 2006, 9:22 pm - IP Logged

Hi All,

Best Regards,

Josh 

What?Are you doing college internship, amateur film maker for a film festival/contest entry? 

takeemtothebank

ny
                United States
                Member #38293
                April 26, 2006
                3 Posts
                Posted: April 26, 2006, 9:27 pm - IP Logged

I am a professional film editor in NYC.  This documentary is a personal project of mine, inspired by my own "hopes and dreams."  In all truth I plan to only use lottery as a springboard for an examination on "the american dream."

LAVERNE MALONEY's avatar - smallgirl

United States
                  Member #1987
                  August 5, 2003
                  8968 Posts
                  Posted: April 26, 2006, 10:02 pm - IP Logged

Hello there Hemmermferm: 

Perhaps you should look at this thread (link below), another poster posted a topic dealing with a lottery documentary.

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/129725

LAVERNE MALONEY's avatar - smallgirl

United States
                    Member #1987
                    August 5, 2003
                    8968 Posts
                    Posted: April 26, 2006, 10:26 pm - IP Logged

I live in a poor neighborhood of NYC and the people who play lottery at my corner store are poor.  They play lottery and pay for food with food stamps. 
                     I realize that lottery for most people is a game and I am perfectly fine with this. 

I appreciate your comments and I know that questioning people on how they spend their money is a sensitive subject.  The fact that I first posted on this message board should inform you of how aware I am regarding this subject. 

I came to this message board for useful advice and your own personal comments/history on the topic of lottery.  Don't you question your own motives for playing lottery?  Please understand that I would like to explore this subject with the utmost respect for those who play the game and those who don't.

Sincerely Sincere,

Josh 

Standard Member
                    Standard Member

ny
                    United States
                    Member #38708
                    April 26, 2006
                    3 Posts
                    Quote hermmermfermReport Inappropriate ContentTop of pagePosted: Today, 9:27 pm - IP Logged

I am a professional film editor in NYC.  This documentary is a personal project of mine, inspired by my own "hopes and dreams."  In all truth I plan to only use lottery as a springboard for an examination on "the american dream."

Hermmermferm: you said you "live in a poor neighborhood in NYC" & then you say that you are "a professional film editor".

I looked at some of those salaries, they start at least $20k, then after 5 years $53k & then after 10-15 years in the business $70K.

I don't understand that.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                      Member #2338
                      September 17, 2003
                      2063 Posts
                      Posted: April 26, 2006, 10:30 pm - IP Logged

Hi All,

Best Regards,

Josh 

Being cynical and offensive guarantees you a job with the national press core. I would avoid asking any questions. Just make it up. You could ask old people, preferably living in the south and in a trailer about the lottery but make sure to misquote them. To get plenty of misquotes just tell them in advance that the equipment doesn't work to well and make sure there are plenty of takes.

As far as what's approprate - why care. "Are those real?"(in reference to a woman's chest), "Are those your real teeth?", "Are you stupid or just unintellegent?" It's all fair game. Of course if you are doing your interviews in the south, in trailer parks make sure your first question is "Are you an inbred racist hick?". That should really put you off on a good start.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                        Member #5344
                        June 30, 2004
                        23641 Posts
                        Posted: April 26, 2006, 10:31 pm - IP Logged

"To begin, I would like to start small.  I would like to conduct interviews at my local convience store with all the older, poorer people that habitually buy lottery tickets."

There was a skit on the Carlos Mencia Show the other day: "What do you feed your kids lady??? Losing Lotery Tickets...lol.  Then there was also an article I once read that called the lottery a "tax on stupid people."  Lotto players seem to get stereotyped for some reason.

Most everyone I know who buys lotto tickets is middle class, but then again, I have seen people buy ten dollars or more worth of scratch off tickets that would have been better off spending their money on a bar of soap and a toothbrush!!

ThudWell said.. I have seen lots of those..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                          Chief Bottle Washer
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #1
                          May 31, 2000
                          23259 Posts
                          Posted: April 26, 2006, 11:00 pm - IP Logged

Sincerely Sincere,

Josh 

It's pretty much useless to rephrase, because any documentary of this type about the lottery is always wrong-headed and filled with stereotypes.  Every single one.

People like to gamble, and the lottery is the only legitimate form of gambling readily available to them.  How hard to understand is that?

Any kind of reading into the situation beyond that is nonsense, and that is where people start stereotyping.  They need to look for "angles" to fill their time slot, and out pop the stereotypes.

Of course you see poor people playing if you live in a poor neighborhood.  DUH!

If you lived in a rich neighborhood who do you think you would see playing?

The subject is only sensitive because players do not like people like you trying to inject stereotypes into their love of the games.  It's not sensitive because -- e-gads -- someone happened to mention poor people.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                            Tennessee
                            United States
                            Member #7853
                            October 15, 2004
                            11338 Posts
                            Posted: April 26, 2006, 11:04 pm - IP Logged

Lurking

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                              Dump Water Florida
                              United States
                              Member #380
                              June 5, 2002
                              3102 Posts
                              Posted: April 27, 2006, 12:24 am - IP Logged

hermmermferm: Begin your search for information here http://www.naspl.org/faq.html

Work these facts into your documentory and you'll have the basis for a balanced report.

Then keep in mind, the lottery is perhaps the only one dollar investment with a possible return of millions of dollars. 

Buying a lottery ticket keeps hope alive long after the reality of one's situation has otherwise crushed the human spirit. 

Also remember poor people have the same right to spend their money as they see fit as anyone else. 

BobP