Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 3:33 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What VALIDATE TICKET means?

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Stack47.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
derek7's avatar - speedykat
IL
United States
Member #34578
March 4, 2006
198 Posts
Posted: May 3, 2006, 10:45 pm - IP Logged

Hello, ok here is the story.

One day I won 80 USD (Pick 3 box) and the clerk said "I am sorry I do not have 80 USD in register" (well, it was early morning...)"

What would happen if he/she scans my ticket first... machine would print some "please pay" tickets.. and then what?

Ticket would be validated/claimed and I would have no money....?!? Hmmm...

But my real question is what would happen if I win 800 USD for example...?

The clerk would scan the ticket and tell me what...? You need to go to headquarters (however ticked would seem scanned already) 

or to NOT scan and just go to headqarters...? 

If I would go to headqarters they would send me back to validate it? No?

Anyone knows...? Is there a difference between validation and claim...?

What?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19825 Posts
    Posted: May 3, 2006, 10:58 pm - IP Logged

A few years ago I matched 5of6 in the Ohio Super Lotto for $1500.  I had the store manager run and validate my ticket.  She then made out a form with the store number and validation code and I went to the closest authorized bank with that form and collected my winnings.  I use to check when ever I cashed in winners for more than $50 to make sure the store had enough cash to pay, but now I buy and cash my tickets at gas stations and they always have enough money.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

tweetietoo's avatar - lady narrisa.png
      Georgia
      United States
      Member #18517
      July 13, 2005
      1256 Posts
      Posted: May 3, 2006, 11:21 pm - IP Logged

My husband won off a instant ticket and took it to the clerk to have them cash it in. She ran the ticket and tore it, then told him that she did not have the cash to pay the ticket. she then taped it and gave it back to him. He then went to another store and they ran it told him that it was already paid out. He said no it was not. So I took the ticket and mailed it in to the lottery headquarters it took forever for then to responed, they sent the ticket back with the validation code and store number and told us that this store at this time with this number had cashed the ticket in. So I ask the clerk all the time before I cash in any thing if they have the money first. ...

Bryan's avatar - Lottery-002.jpg
        Mid-Missouri
        United States
        Member #644
        August 31, 2002
        4271 Posts
        Posted: May 3, 2006, 11:30 pm - IP Logged

Hi Derek,

If it is anything like Missouri you can get your ticket scanned to see if it is a winner without it being a problem. MO retailers are trained to scan ticket first to see if it is a winner. If so, and it is within the stores means to pay it then they hit the pay button and scan the ticket again. At this point, the ticket must be paid. If it is paid, the clerk is suppose to take the ticket and tear it up or put them in the draw and not leave it with the person that brought it in. That helps reduce any problem with people trying to take a ticket to multiple places to cash a ticket in. If it is a winner and is over the $600 limit (on Pick3) the machine will read, "must be redeemed at a lottery office". As long as the clerk doesn't hit the pay button you can get them checked with no problems. If you run into a problem where the clerk hit the pay button first and then didn't have enough to pay you. I would talk to a manager and make sure they called the lottery office right then and there and make them explain the situation.

I hope somewhere in that message your question was answered,

Best of Luck,

Bryan  :)

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19825 Posts
          Posted: May 3, 2006, 11:40 pm - IP Logged

In Ohio instant or scratch-off tickets are hand scanned to confirmed what the player should already know.  I usually check these types of tickets before leaving the property of the retailer so if it has been scanned and I just bought it, I can report it to the management or the lottery commission right away.  So far that has never happened to me.

I once bought some instant tickets in Kentucky and I was told they had to be validated and payed where purchased.

Evil Looking       

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
            Member #24380
            October 21, 2005
            623 Posts
            Posted: May 3, 2006, 11:52 pm - IP Logged

My husband won off a instant ticket and took it to the clerk to have them cash it in. She ran the ticket and tore it, then told him that she did not have the cash to pay the ticket. she then taped it and gave it back to him. He then went to another store and they ran it told him that it was already paid out. He said no it was not. So I took the ticket and mailed it in to the lottery headquarters it took forever for then to responed, they sent the ticket back with the validation code and store number and told us that this store at this time with this number had cashed the ticket in. So I ask the clerk all the time before I cash in any thing if they have the money first. ...

Whhhaaaaaaattttt?????

tweetietoo's avatar - lady narrisa.png
              Georgia
              United States
              Member #18517
              July 13, 2005
              1256 Posts
              Posted: May 4, 2006, 12:01 am - IP Logged

Thanks Bryan I wish I would have known that, but hey I do now.... Thanks and that makes better sense to me. I think the girl must have needed the $$$....I hope it blessed her....

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                Member #2338
                September 17, 2003
                2063 Posts
                Posted: May 4, 2006, 1:26 am - IP Logged

I save tickets up for the lottery purchase. That way I don't have to care if they have the money or not. If it's more than $500 then I'm going to a state lottery office to claim it.

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
                  Tx
                  United States
                  Member #4570
                  May 4, 2004
                  5180 Posts
                  Posted: May 4, 2006, 3:47 am - IP Logged

You have to be careful some clerks want to keep the money themselves.

You should get the results and then check the ticket yourself, if it is more than $599 you might have to go to a state lottery office.

If itis less than that ammout go anywhere where they can pay you either cash or with a money order, make sure that you tell the clerk how much money you won and ask if him or her has enough money to cash it before you give your ticket.

It is best to always go to a more or less well known and trusted clerk, to the same one that you always go to, make friends with one or more of them.

Scratch off tickets need to be validated by the store before they are put up for sale in their box container.

Other tickets such as pick 3 and those of jackpot games are printed by the lottery terminal and then sold as they are without any prior validation.

If you win on either of the two kinds above then the ticket is scanned and on scratch offs a code is also hand entered into the lottery terminal, on pick 3 and jackpot game tickets nothing is entered by hand, but the ticket is scanned 2 times, once to see the winning ammount and the other to "Validate" it, or maybe just one time and if the store can pay it then the pay key pressed.

Something like that, these things might change some or a little from one state to another.

Always remember where you bought your tickets at if you buy them at more than one place, also try to remember who sold them to you.

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
                    Tx
                    United States
                    Member #4570
                    May 4, 2004
                    5180 Posts
                    Posted: May 4, 2006, 4:00 am - IP Logged

There might be places where they have self-serve lottery terminals where you can buy your lottery tickets at and also where later you can check them for winning numbers all by yourself, before you go to the clerk to cash them, it is much better to do it in this way, if you can.

If you win a lot of money it would not hurt to also make a copy of the ticket before you go to cash it, just in case as you never know, there might be some dishonest clerks out there.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                      Wandering Aimlessly
                      United States
                      Member #25360
                      November 5, 2005
                      4461 Posts
                      Posted: May 4, 2006, 4:03 am - IP Logged

A few years ago I matched 5of6 in the Ohio Super Lotto for $1500.  I had the store manager run and validate my ticket.  She then made out a form with the store number and validation code and I went to the closest authorized bank with that form and collected my winnings.  I use to check when ever I cashed in winners for more than $50 to make sure the store had enough cash to pay, but now I buy and cash my tickets at gas stations and they always have enough money.

Interesting.  In FL you can only collect up to $599 at a store and anything over $600 must be claimed at a District Lottery Office.  However, the same validation form is available at any authorized retailer.

I haven't won enough to worry about it, but I would never go to small convenience store to collect money. We have lots of supermarkets here, so I'd just go to Publix. 

csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
                        Member #15309
                        May 13, 2005
                        307 Posts
                        Posted: May 4, 2006, 12:29 pm - IP Logged

Very informative thread.  Now, I'll be aware more than ever, in the event I claim something.  Thanks all.

pigsNtrees's avatar - pigsNtrees
                          Mallorn trees of Lothlorien
                          United States
                          Member #26084
                          November 14, 2005
                          199 Posts
                          Posted: May 4, 2006, 1:35 pm - IP Logged

I use a grocery store if the prize is more than $20.00, because I know they have lots of cash on hand.

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
                            Member #12618
                            March 18, 2005
                            2060 Posts
                            Posted: May 4, 2006, 1:50 pm - IP Logged

I use a grocery store if the prize is more than $20.00, because I know they have lots of cash on hand.

I do to. But I haven't really won anything big yet, so I guess I 've never run into a situation were the clerk didn't have enough money.

Dance like no one is watching.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19825 Posts
                              Posted: May 4, 2006, 11:14 pm - IP Logged

Interesting.  In FL you can only collect up to $599 at a store and anything over $600 must be claimed at a District Lottery Office.  However, the same validation form is available at any authorized retailer.

I haven't won enough to worry about it, but I would never go to small convenience store to collect money. We have lots of supermarkets here, so I'd just go to Publix. 

These are the rules on the Ohio Lottery website.

If you win up to $599, you can collect from any lottery retailer.

If you win between $600 and $5,000, the lottery retailer will check your ticket and give you a PAY TO BEARER ticket and a claim form to take to a bank-cashing location in your area where you can receive payment by presenting proper identification. The bank will charge a processing fee of $10 for this service.

If you win more than $5,000, you have to contact the nearest Lottery Regional Office and make arrangements to file a claim in person.

Evil Looking