Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 8:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

MyComputer got Hacked!!

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Clairvoyance.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
lotterybraker's avatar - pyramid
mississippi
United States
Member #34478
March 3, 2006
5903 Posts
Posted: May 5, 2006, 12:42 pm - IP Logged

I keep getting these windows that pop up and say spyware has been put on my computer..and last nite..a window popped up and said my files were being transmitted to another computer...I called betslips to see if they could get into my account and they said no..something weird here is going on and I dont know enough about computers to do anything..I cant even launch my internet explorer from my desk top anymore..some stupid page comes up wanting me to scan for something and wanting me to buy some software of some crap..anybody out there have any suggestions to get that page gone ?..

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

onenumber's avatar - swordgirl
    Chicago, IL
    United States
    Member #8354
    November 2, 2004
    1580 Posts
    Posted: May 5, 2006, 12:49 pm - IP Logged

Todd's on line maybe he can help, send him a PM

bob27's avatar - chakra man1.jpg
      chicago
      United States
      Member #34162
      February 28, 2006
      315 Posts
      Posted: May 5, 2006, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

2 things: get antispyware software,and install window washer.install it,clean it,and done.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
        Member #14
        November 9, 2001
        31361 Posts
        Posted: May 5, 2006, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

2 things: get antispyware software,and install window washer.install it,clean it,and done.

been happy with pc dr.    what's a  window washer?

love to nibble those micey feet.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
          Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23273 Posts
          Posted: May 5, 2006, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

I keep getting these windows that pop up and say spyware has been put on my computer..and last nite..a window popped up and said my files were being transmitted to another computer...I called betslips to see if they could get into my account and they said no..something weird here is going on and I dont know enough about computers to do anything..I cant even launch my internet explorer from my desk top anymore..some stupid page comes up wanting me to scan for something and wanting me to buy some software of some crap..anybody out there have any suggestions to get that page gone ?..

It usually happens when people click on files that arrive through e-mail or on a web site somewhere.  Your PC was not "hacked" -- you clicked on a bad file that you shouldn't have.  You should not jump to the incorrect assumption that a site like Betslips or Lottery Post was involved.  These are not sites with files to click on.  You need to do some thinking about where you could have tried to open a file.  Probably e-mail.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

mississippi
            United States
            Member #34478
            March 3, 2006
            5903 Posts
            Posted: May 5, 2006, 1:34 pm - IP Logged

Todd..I wasnt saying I got it here or at betslips..I just called betslips to make sure noone could get into my account is all..to tell you to the truth..I dont know where it came from..or how to get rid of it..bob27's suggestion seems to make sense to me..thanks everyone..

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

Hampton,VA
              United States
              Member #32721
              February 15, 2006
              88 Posts
              Posted: May 5, 2006, 2:56 pm - IP Logged

I had sometheing similar. Get spysweeper you can download a demo version. Check your windows/temp folder. If you have a lot of files that are winxx.temp.exe where xx is a number. You must first download spysweeper and run in safemode because the program will keep running hidden and it will not remove it. I had to run it a couple of times along with ewido which you can get a demo of too run both in safe mode( safe mode only allows basic operation  of your computer) to insure that the spyware is not running or else nothing will remove it. that removed everything from my computer. As so with spysweep I got a free six months out of them when I called for tech support.

Good Luck 

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23273 Posts
                Posted: May 5, 2006, 2:59 pm - IP Logged

Here are a couple of great programs: Spybot Search & Destroy (everyone should have a copy of that one), and Ewido Anti-Malware (finds many hard-to-destroy programs).  Both can easily be found at download.com.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
                  FEMA Region V Camp #21
                  United States
                  Member #520
                  July 27, 2002
                  5699 Posts
                  Posted: May 5, 2006, 3:47 pm - IP Logged

Every once in a while, we use the Restore disk that came with the computer. It eliminates any unwanted EXE. programs on there.

The files we want to save (none of which are internet-generated) we send to a secure computer and then download those files after the Restore process.

It's a hassle but it will improve your internet experience.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

konane's avatar - wallace
                    Atlanta, GA
                    United States
                    Member #1265
                    March 13, 2003
                    3333 Posts
                    Posted: May 5, 2006, 3:54 pm - IP Logged
                    Free  virus scan
                    Free   Spyware Scan 
                    Free    virus scan

Good luck to everyone!

United States
                      Member #17555
                      June 22, 2005
                      5582 Posts
                      Posted: May 5, 2006, 4:36 pm - IP Logged

I received this from Microsoft a week ago, when I had  a malware called "surfsidekick" in my system. She gave a link that you download, and it automatically goes into the registry, in DOS, and removes the problems from many different worms.

http://www.simplytech.it/ETRemover/

When clicking on the link, scroll down to where you see the following:

Downloads:

To download the *new* version 2.1.2 of the program click here!

The picture in the box is a floppy disk.

You'll need Winzip to unzip the file.

Once you have downloaded it, run it only in safe mode.

mississippi
                        United States
                        Member #34478
                        March 3, 2006
                        5903 Posts
                        Posted: May 5, 2006, 4:53 pm - IP Logged

Thanks everyone for the info..I did a complete system recoverey..it seems to be working better now..at least I can access my internet explorer on my desk top now..that was kinda freaky last nite when the little window popped up and said my files were being transmitted to another computer..I disconnected my cable from the modem real quick..lol..to tell you the truth I am not sure what information of mine is actually stored on my computer..but anyway..thank all of you for the advice..I am not to swift with the computer..to bad it isnt numbers..lol

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                          Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: May 5, 2006, 4:57 pm - IP Logged

Pac, looks like you already got some good advice, but do you run Hijack this?  It will tell you exactly what's running when you open your browser, but I wouldn't delete anything without checking with someone first.  BTW, there is a Yahoo board that is very helpful called CHAD. (computer help and discussion) Lots of techs who get bored at work give free advice. I once sent the hijack log to the moderator and he sent me a private email telling me exactly what to do and my trojan was removed. I had tried every anti-spyware program available. When I had an old desktop with Win 95, they walked me through several problems. My laptop is only 9 months old and came with a free year of Norton anti-virus and I use Microsoft anti-spyware (which is free) and a firewall. The MS program is called Windows Defender. You can get it on the MS official website.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

Edited comment: Oops! I just reread the posts and I should have directed this to LotteryBraker, but now I see you're doing just fine.

United States
                            Member #17555
                            June 22, 2005
                            5582 Posts
                            Posted: May 5, 2006, 5:37 pm - IP Logged

Pac, looks like you already got some good advice, but do you run Hijack this?  It will tell you exactly what's running when you open your browser, but I wouldn't delete anything without checking with someone first.  BTW, there is a Yahoo board that is very helpful called CHAD. (computer help and discussion) Lots of techs who get bored at work give free advice. I once sent the hijack log to the moderator and he sent me a private email telling me exactly what to do and my trojan was removed. I had tried every anti-spyware program available. When I had an old desktop with Win 95, they walked me through several problems. My laptop is only 9 months old and came with a free year of Norton anti-virus and I use Microsoft anti-spyware (which is free) and a firewall. The MS program is called Windows Defender. You can get it on the MS official website.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

Edited comment: Oops! I just reread the posts and I should have directed this to LotteryBraker, but now I see you're doing just fine.

I have windows defender. None of my tools were able to remove "surfsidekick". That's why I got that tool above. It doesen't just arbitrarily remove stuff from your registry. I know what you're talking about removing things from the registry, it can ruin your computer, however, this just looks for malware programs that are lodged in your computer, and is able to remove them, rather than me going in their and doing it myself manually in DOS.

Before, I tried all those geek.coms out there, but I don't have a printer, and didn't want to manually write down 2 pages of instructions. So I called Microsoft, and they got rid of "surfsidekick".

But now I have 2 more "dangerous" malware programs in my computer which the above tool is not able to remove. They're called "download coach" and "Adware max search". I will have to call Microsoft tommorrow and find out how to remove those also. The bull crap doesen't end.

I currently have Mcafee, registry doctor, trend micro, windows defender, error doctor, no adware, and a couple of other ones. None of them seem to work, so Ill have to call Microsoft again.

Clairvoyance's avatar - eye storm.jpg

United States
                              Member #26882
                              November 23, 2005
                              1404 Posts
                              Posted: May 9, 2006, 11:08 pm - IP Logged

My Question is where are you people picking up all these malware and trogons at?

Seriously, I want to know so that I can stay away from those sites?

I have been on the Internet many years and the only thing I caught in all those years was the my doom virus which I put on floppy so it did not cause much damage and that was my dumb fault!

I have had some spy ware on my computer but that was easily taken off. Also I go into my registery and remove it myself which I don't recommend to others.

Thanks and Blessings!