Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

MyComputer got Hacked!!

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Clairvoyance.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
rabbitfoot's avatar - 8ball

United States
Member #620
August 25, 2002
205 Posts
Posted: May 9, 2006, 11:39 pm - IP Logged

After you download one of those free spyware remover programs avoid clicking on FREE downloads in general.  Usually, at the end of the download you have to agree to their license agreement.  This is how a lot of junk gets loaded into your registry.  By accepting their terms, you open up your computer for them to dump on.  As pointed out by others here, it gets very difficult at times to clean out unwanted entries in your registry. I currently run 2 spyware removal programs and Doctor Norton to keep my computer clean.

I play to dream and dream of winning a major jackpot!

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
    Member #2338
    September 17, 2003
    2063 Posts
    Posted: May 10, 2006, 1:36 am - IP Logged

Mistype anything as a url and you can get something.

The most important thing is to keep windows up to date by running Windows Update at least every two weeks. (Click start -> All programs -> Windows update)

I use firefox and noscript. Once you get used to it, it's the safest way to surf.

Best programs for spyware are windows defender (search for it at microsoft) and spybot (www.spybot.info) 

Make sure to update both those programs and to immunize in spybot.

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
      Member #9517
      December 10, 2004
      1271 Posts
      Posted: May 10, 2006, 5:27 am - IP Logged

Perhaps you should start to use Firefox or Opera instead?

Using Internet Explorer is like an open invitation for all kinds of malware to infest your  computer.

Clairvoyance's avatar - eye storm.jpg

United States
        Member #26882
        November 23, 2005
        1404 Posts
        Posted: May 10, 2006, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

Hi Everyone,

I have spybot and AVG virus scan. Those are the only 2 free things I think I have ever downloaded LOL! If I want some type of program I usually just go buy it at the store.

As for explorer my Internet server has a browser as well and I use it. I was just wondering how in the heck these people get so many malware and trogons on their computers! Every time I use my programs and do system checks I am always clean. Oh I also use internet clean up as well and clean my computer at the end of the day with that so maybe that really helps me not get infected as well.

So I assume if I stay away from downloading free stuff then I should be ok!

Blessings Everyone.