Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 7:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are these numbers considered bad??

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 11 years ago by justxploring.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
Tennessee
United States
Member #7853
October 15, 2004
11338 Posts
Posted: May 8, 2006, 8:11 am - IP Logged

personally i pick my own numbers but it all depends on the player.....

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
    adelaide sa
    Australia
    Member #37136
    April 11, 2006
    3300 Posts
    Posted: May 9, 2006, 1:05 pm - IP Logged

here we had a game with multiples of 5 come up, i posted it on a news group, i cant remember the  exact details, but it was like

5 10 15 20 25 43

and had so many winners they got $6k each!

still after all my complaints they won more than me which was zilch

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19825 Posts
      Posted: May 9, 2006, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

here we had a game with multiples of 5 come up, i posted it on a news group, i cant remember the  exact details, but it was like

5 10 15 20 25 43

I think I remember that drawing, wasn't it MegaMillions on 03/02/04 with the winning numbers  25 30 35 40 50 +04 ?  Every combination looks good after it wins.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

masslottery's avatar - dragon eye.jpg

United States
        Member #34117
        February 28, 2006
        754 Posts
        Posted: May 9, 2006, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

5 10 15 20 25 43

I think I remember that drawing, wasn't it MegaMillions on 03/02/04 with the winning numbers  25 30 35 40 50 +04 ?  Every combination looks good after it wins.

708 03/02/04  25-30-35-40-50  Mega Ball: 4 $20,000,000. 1 Dayton,Ohio

NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          3474 Posts
          Posted: May 11, 2006, 1:31 am - IP Logged

I've been playing Michigan Pick 6 game (Classic Lotto 47) with the Quick pick.  I've got 6 different quick picks for one drawing, from 6 different lottery machines.  5 out of 6 of the tickets have numbers like these (#,#,33,34,35,#) (#,#,27,28,29,#) (4,5,6,#,#,#) (16,17,18,#,#,#)  (#,#,#,39,40,41)

Are these considered "bad"??

If you really got  numbers like those, then yes, they're bad. Each combination has exactly the same chance of winning as any other combination, but those combinations clearly aren't random and that vastly increases the chances that a combination will be played on multiple tickets. The only alternative to quick picks being random that I would consider acceptable would be if they were chosen from combinations that hadn't been played yet. Of course that would only work for tickets bought shortly before ticket sales stop.

United States
            Member #17555
            June 22, 2005
            5582 Posts
            Posted: May 11, 2006, 2:18 am - IP Logged

I've been playing Michigan Pick 6 game (Classic Lotto 47) with the Quick pick.  I've got 6 different quick picks for one drawing, from 6 different lottery machines.  5 out of 6 of the tickets have numbers like these (#,#,33,34,35,#) (#,#,27,28,29,#) (4,5,6,#,#,#) (16,17,18,#,#,#)  (#,#,#,39,40,41)

Are these considered "bad"??

If you really got  numbers like those, then yes, they're bad. Each combination has exactly the same chance of winning as any other combination, but those combinations clearly aren't random and that vastly increases the chances that a combination will be played on multiple tickets. The only alternative to quick picks being random that I would consider acceptable would be if they were chosen from combinations that hadn't been played yet. Of course that would only work for tickets bought shortly before ticket sales stop.

If you really got  numbers like those, then yes, they're bad.

Why are they bad?

Each combination has exactly the same chance of winning as any other combination, but those combinations clearly aren't random and that vastly increases the chances that a combination will be played on multiple tickets.

How do you know they're not truly random, considering the efforts they endure in making them as random as possible?

Lottery rule 101: Every combo has the same possibility to come out as any other. Period........LoL

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19825 Posts
              Posted: May 11, 2006, 11:17 am - IP Logged

There is an alternative to buying QPs that you don't think are truly random and that is to pick your own numbers or use a RNG not associated with the lottery you're playing.  You may still question their randomness, but at least you will have the option of approval before buying them.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: May 21, 2006, 3:38 am - IP Logged

Talk about consecutive numbers...5 out of the 7 numbers 19-20-21-22-23-24-25  Florida Fantasy 5 draw for Sat May 20 is:  19-20-23-24-25 

United Kingdom
                  Member #39752
                  May 21, 2006
                  1 Posts
                  Posted: May 21, 2006, 10:03 am - IP Logged

If you pick numbers that are not chosen as often by people then at least you will win a bigger share of any prize if you do win.

An interesting fact I found out was that after 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 being the most popular combination the number from Lost are the second most popular combination.

Bearing in mind if you did pick these numbers and you did win the jackpot your share would be minimal as hundreds of thousnds of lines for these numbers are picked.

So picking less popular numbers is always a better option.

To improve your chances still further set up a local syndicate with friends an family where you each pay in £1 or whatever amount it is in your country and use a wheeling system to select your numbers. this will greatly improve yuor chances of winning a prize athough you will have to share it.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                    Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: May 23, 2006, 2:56 am - IP Logged