Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:20 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

MM Megaplier

Topic closed. 31 replies. Last post 10 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Where should it be available?

In all MM states [ 16 ]  [53.33%]
All except CA (pari-mutuel) [ 6 ]  [20.00%]
Texas only [ 2 ]  [6.67%]
Nowhere [ 6 ]  [20.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 30 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  

United States
Member #379
June 5, 2002
11296 Posts
Posted: May 24, 2006, 11:46 am - IP Logged

When Texas joined Mega Millions it 2003, it was allowed to use a non-jackpot multiplier similar to Powerball's PowerPlay. No other MM states have the Megaplier. One idea might be to extend the Megaplier throughout MM except in California, which has pari-mutuel lower-tier MM prizes.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19821 Posts
    Posted: May 24, 2006, 2:41 pm - IP Logged

I assume all the MegaMillions states have the option of having a side bet or another game on their MM cards as Ohio has its KICKER game on its MM card.  The KICKER has its own drawing as does the Texas Megaplier. 

Since all prizes except the jackpots are paid out of local ticket sales, there's enough confusion with California having its own pari-mutuel rules for the lower tier prizes with out more states coming up with their own rules for the same game. If all states can't abide by the same rules, it better not to have the Megaplier as part of the basic game.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
      Member #2338
      September 17, 2003
      2063 Posts
      Posted: May 25, 2006, 1:49 am - IP Logged

I have never been a fan of paying more for second place. Only time I paid more was when WA state had a promo where you could double the jackpot (if you won) for an extra buck. That seemed worth it. In Powerball it would really be worth it considering the already low cash payout.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
        Tennessee
        United States
        Member #7853
        October 15, 2004
        11338 Posts
        Posted: May 25, 2006, 6:22 am - IP Logged

i don't understand why powerball can have powerplay but mega millions can't have a multiplier.is it the population of the states?

United States
          Member #16612
          June 2, 2005
          3493 Posts
          Posted: May 26, 2006, 12:26 pm - IP Logged

My vote is for all states except for CA for MM Megaplier. CA prizes are pari-mutuel. CA can have a possible $1+ million winner with 5/5 if no one keeps matching 5/5.

Morrison, IL
            United States
            Member #4657
            May 13, 2004
            1884 Posts
            Posted: May 26, 2006, 3:14 pm - IP Logged

i don't understand why powerball can have powerplay but mega millions can't have a multiplier.is it the population of the states?

That's probably because with California having pari-mutuel prize payouts, it would cause too much confusion.

New Jersey
              United States
              Member #21206
              September 4, 2005
              949 Posts
              Posted: May 27, 2006, 7:41 am - IP Logged

The multiplier is a bad bet.

I would never dream of playing it.  It would be better, at least when the jackpot is large, simply to play more tickets.

Once the jackpot gets quite high, the lottery can have expectation values (the potential return on the money risk) that are pretax close to 1.00.   The multiplier, if I have understood how it might work for MM, raises the lower value expectation from 0.18 to a little over 0.25.  It's great business for the lottery, but not for the player. 

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
                Member #12618
                March 18, 2005
                2060 Posts
                Posted: May 30, 2006, 5:04 pm - IP Logged

I think they shoud just include it in all the MM states.

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
                  Yinzer Country, PA
                  United States
                  Member #4067
                  March 18, 2004
                  2741 Posts
                  Posted: May 30, 2006, 5:11 pm - IP Logged

I assume all the MegaMillions states have the option of having a side bet or another game on their MM cards as Ohio has its KICKER game on its MM card.  The KICKER has its own drawing as does the Texas Megaplier. 

Since all prizes except the jackpots are paid out of local ticket sales, there's enough confusion with California having its own pari-mutuel rules for the lower tier prizes with out more states coming up with their own rules for the same game. If all states can't abide by the same rules, it better not to have the Megaplier as part of the basic game.

Actually, TX and OH are the only states to offer a side bet.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

United States
                    Member #379
                    June 5, 2002
                    11296 Posts
                    Posted: May 31, 2006, 10:30 am - IP Logged

The Texas Megaplier is related to MM. Ohio Kicker is not (it was an add-on to Super Lotto Plus before it was retired).

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19821 Posts
                      Posted: May 31, 2006, 12:19 pm - IP Logged

The Texas Megaplier is related to MM. Ohio Kicker is not (it was an add-on to Super Lotto Plus before it was retired).

Yes, but you have to play MegaMillions to have any chance of playing the KICKER game.  My point was that since each state created their own side game and paid prizes out of local sales, any game in one of the other state with a similar name might create more confusions.  Besides,Texas probably owns the name Megaplier and would probably want royalties if any other state used it.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                        Member #379
                        June 5, 2002
                        11296 Posts
                        Posted: June 1, 2006, 10:08 am - IP Logged

Yes, but you have to play MegaMillions to have any chance of playing the KICKER game.  My point was that since each state created their own side game and paid prizes out of local sales, any game in one of the other state with a similar name might create more confusions.  Besides,Texas probably owns the name Megaplier and would probably want royalties if any other state used it.

KICKER should be a stand-alone game, or be retired. For some reason, Canada has many add-on opportunities.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                          Member #2338
                          September 17, 2003
                          2063 Posts
                          Posted: June 3, 2006, 1:24 am - IP Logged

If Mega is going to change something how about a change that generates larger pots. The jackpot drives sales. It's as simple as that. If you look at a high jackpot there are high sales associated with it. Mega didn't even hit 50 this time. They should have had the matrix slightly higher than it is now.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                            Tennessee
                            United States
                            Member #7853
                            October 15, 2004
                            11338 Posts
                            Posted: June 3, 2006, 1:31 am - IP Logged

anyone hear anything on the new game talked about between mega and powerball here a while back?

Morrison, IL
                              United States
                              Member #4657
                              May 13, 2004
                              1884 Posts
                              Posted: June 3, 2006, 1:43 am - IP Logged

Oh geez, Mega Millions and Powerball should not combine or national lottery, here we come!!