Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 7:11 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

MM Megaplier

Topic closed. 31 replies. Last post 10 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Where should it be available?

In all MM states [ 16 ]  [53.33%]
All except CA (pari-mutuel) [ 6 ]  [20.00%]
Texas only [ 2 ]  [6.67%]
Nowhere [ 6 ]  [20.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 30 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
Morrison, IL
United States
Member #4657
May 13, 2004
1884 Posts
Posted: June 3, 2006, 1:46 am - IP Logged

If Mega is going to change something how about a change that generates larger pots. The jackpot drives sales. It's as simple as that. If you look at a high jackpot there are high sales associated with it. Mega didn't even hit 50 this time. They should have had the matrix slightly higher than it is now.

Higher odds do not guarantee the jackpot will roll 12+ times each run. If someone is meant to win the jackpot, it will happen regardless of odds. After all, do you play to win, or to raise the jackpot? Of course, you don't play until the jackpot hits $250 million, but if everyone were like you there would never be a $250 million jackpot, and players would not play for jackpots under $50 million if it were not possible to win them.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
    Member #2338
    September 17, 2003
    2063 Posts
    Posted: June 3, 2006, 2:02 am - IP Logged

Well there is a balance. I think Powerball has that balance now. Mega doesn't and Euromillions really doesn't. I always hope games get hit at all levels. The problem with mega is it never gets to a high level. Instead of all levels it's just small levels. Something you could expect in a large state game like CA or FL.

Morrison, IL
      United States
      Member #4657
      May 13, 2004
      1884 Posts
      Posted: June 3, 2006, 2:14 am - IP Logged

Yeah, like $265 million annuity / $150 million cash isn't a high level! The game already made it there two consecutive runs this year.

United States
        Member #379
        June 5, 2002
        11296 Posts
        Posted: June 6, 2006, 9:53 am - IP Logged

Yeah, like $265 million annuity / $150 million cash isn't a high level! The game already made it there two consecutive runs this year.

MM has trouble rolling over at that level. Since Big Game/MM began in 1996, the matrixes have changed every three years (1999, 2002, 2005.) Would there be another change come 2008?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19831 Posts
          Posted: June 6, 2006, 1:17 pm - IP Logged

I assume all the MegaMillions states have the option of having a side bet or another game on their MM cards as Ohio has its KICKER game on its MM card.  The KICKER has its own drawing as does the Texas Megaplier. 

Since all prizes except the jackpots are paid out of local ticket sales, there's enough confusion with California having its own pari-mutuel rules for the lower tier prizes with out more states coming up with their own rules for the same game. If all states can't abide by the same rules, it better not to have the Megaplier as part of the basic game.

Actually, TX and OH are the only states to offer a side bet.

The Texas Megaplier is related to MM. Ohio Kicker is not (it was an add-on to Super Lotto Plus before it was retired).

Yes, but you have to play MegaMillions to have any chance of playing the KICKER game.  My point was that since each state created their own side game and paid prizes out of local sales, any game in one of the other state with a similar name might create more confusions.  Besides,Texas probably owns the name Megaplier and would probably want royalties if any other state used it.

KICKER should be a stand-alone game, or be retired. For some reason, Canada has many add-on opportunities.

Ohio already has an auto-pick stand-alone game, the Lot'O Play.  Such games don't attract the most players but they are very profitable so the state likes them.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
            Member #16612
            June 2, 2005
            3493 Posts
            Posted: June 7, 2006, 1:00 am - IP Logged

I think it's possible that both MM and PB may have a matrix change in 2008 or 2009. However, if this happens, all states in MM and PB must have multiplier except for CA (pari-mutuel/my vote).

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: June 7, 2006, 2:09 am - IP Logged
              Frankly I don't like spending an extra dollar for a game. We don't have MM in Florida, but Fantasy 5 has EZ Match. At first it was very popular and the jackpots increase quite a bit, but I think less people now are spending the extra dollar. I could be wrong, because millions of snowbirds left in May which also has an effect on the lottery.  I agree with Prob that it's better to just buy more tickets.  If the Matrix changes, I would never play MM or PB. The odds are too high now. What's wrong with winning $5 or $10 million anyway? Most people I work with are living paycheck to paycheck! If a megaplier were added to a state lottery, I probably would never spend the money. The way I look at it, I spend at least $6 every week just playing our state lotto, so then it would be $12 a week..way above my budget for a 6/53 game where you rarely get only a $5 win.  I've never gotten 5 numbers and I've gotten 4 numbers three times, winning a total of about $200 in more than 10 years. So to me it makes more sense, if you're going to spend that extra dollar bill to just get a QP or play another game.

BTW, I've played MM in Massachusetts twice. I'm pretty certain the lower tier prizes were paid on a pari-mutuel basis, although I didn't even get 2 numbers on any ticket.  I don't think the Megaplier was an option, but I'm glad it wasn't. Then I would have blown $20 instead of only $10.

Unhappy

United States
                Member #379
                June 5, 2002
                11296 Posts
                Posted: June 7, 2006, 11:17 am - IP Logged
                Frankly I don't like spending an extra dollar for a game. We don't have MM in Florida, but Fantasy 5 has EZ Match. At first it was very popular and the jackpots increase quite a bit, but I think less people now are spending the extra dollar. I could be wrong, because millions of snowbirds left in May which also has an effect on the lottery.  I agree with Prob that it's better to just buy more tickets.  If the Matrix changes, I would never play MM or PB. The odds are too high now. What's wrong with winning $5 or $10 million anyway? Most people I work with are living paycheck to paycheck! If a megaplier were added to a state lottery, I probably would never spend the money. The way I look at it, I spend at least $6 every week just playing our state lotto, so then it would be $12 a week..way above my budget for a 6/53 game where you rarely get only a $5 win.  I've never gotten 5 numbers and I've gotten 4 numbers three times, winning a total of about $200 in more than 10 years. So to me it makes more sense, if you're going to spend that extra dollar bill to just get a QP or play another game.

BTW, I've played MM in Massachusetts twice. I'm pretty certain the lower tier prizes were paid on a pari-mutuel basis, although I didn't even get 2 numbers on any ticket.  I don't think the Megaplier was an option, but I'm glad it wasn't. Then I would have blown $20 instead of only $10.

Unhappy

Florida Lotto has very good prizes. You shouldn't be complaining that you win "only" $5 for three numbers when NY Rotto pays ONE DOLLAR for 3/6. And it's a 6/59 game!

Morrison, IL
                  United States
                  Member #4657
                  May 13, 2004
                  1884 Posts
                  Posted: June 7, 2006, 11:55 am - IP Logged

MM has trouble rolling over at that level. Since Big Game/MM began in 1996, the matrixes have changed every three years (1999, 2002, 2005.) Would there be another change come 2008?

Probably, when they let Florida play.

United States
                    Member #379
                    June 5, 2002
                    11296 Posts
                    Posted: June 8, 2006, 11:14 am - IP Logged

Probably, when they let Florida play.

I'm guessing Florida's next governor will allow PB, and that they will join in 2007. After that, it might be years before PB expands further.

Morrison, IL
                      United States
                      Member #4657
                      May 13, 2004
                      1884 Posts
                      Posted: June 8, 2006, 12:29 pm - IP Logged

If Florida joins Powerball, that game might need another matrix change as well.

United States
                        Member #379
                        June 5, 2002
                        11296 Posts
                        Posted: June 14, 2006, 9:43 am - IP Logged

If Florida joins Powerball, that game might need another matrix change as well.

I'm going to Florida in mid-October. My friend wants to come along. I plan to play Florida Lotto and Mega Money.

United States
                          Member #16612
                          June 2, 2005
                          3493 Posts
                          Posted: June 20, 2006, 11:09 am - IP Logged

All states except CA should have a side bet on Megaplier in MM because CA is pari-mutuel. A few weeks ago, CA was able to have lottery approval to stay with MM.

United States
                            Member #379
                            June 5, 2002
                            11296 Posts
                            Posted: June 20, 2006, 2:17 pm - IP Logged

All states except CA should have a side bet on Megaplier in MM because CA is pari-mutuel. A few weeks ago, CA was able to have lottery approval to stay with MM.

I heard that California could still be kicked out of MM. I think the issue is the claiming period (180 days v 1 year).

United States
                              Member #379
                              June 5, 2002
                              11296 Posts
                              Posted: June 22, 2006, 11:52 am - IP Logged

I don't think that mega millions should have the megaplier, every game has some kind of characteristic's that make the game unique, I don't think you should try to add or take something away just to try and make the game better, And witht the claim period in california they are giving them one year to sort that out.

I'm not too worried the courts will make California leave MM. They'll work it out.