Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 10:16 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you return a winning lotto ticket?

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Rip Snorter.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Would you return a winning lottery ticket if you could find the owner?

Yes. [ 23 ]  [50.00%]
No. [ 13 ]  [28.26%]
I'm not sure. [ 7 ]  [15.22%]
It depends how much the ticket is worth [ 3 ]  [6.52%]
Total Valid Votes [ 46 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
Member #12618
March 18, 2005
2060 Posts
Posted: May 30, 2006, 2:23 pm - IP Logged

A vet finds a winning lottery ticket and returns it to the woman who won it. Would you or could you do the same thing?

Clairvoyance's avatar - eye storm.jpg

United States
    Member #26882
    November 23, 2005
    1404 Posts
    Posted: May 30, 2006, 2:27 pm - IP Logged

I did not even hesitate to click yes! I am just too honest of a person and feel if it's not mine and I did not win square and fair then I should not keep it! I could not live with my self if I kept it!

So yes I would do the very same thing!

LottoChica23's avatar - Aquarius
      Fughedaboutit (NY)
      United States
      Member #8160
      October 26, 2004
      6777 Posts
      Posted: May 30, 2006, 2:54 pm - IP Logged

When I found it, I found the owner. Bearer instrument... Naughty

But seriously, I woud return it.  There is no doubt that, you reap what you sow. 

Matrix Chart Instructions--> http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/191818 

check out mysticwomyn Announcers --> http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/140695/673306

You can judge the integrity of a man by the way he treats those that can do nothing for him...Thumbs Up

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
        Member #12618
        March 18, 2005
        2060 Posts
        Posted: May 30, 2006, 3:01 pm - IP Logged

I think it would be a different situation if you found an unsigned ticket and you couldn't track the person down.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
          Dump Water Florida
          United States
          Member #380
          June 5, 2002
          3113 Posts
          Posted: May 30, 2006, 3:34 pm - IP Logged

If you turned a found million dollar lotto ticket into police, would you trust them to give it back to you if no one claimed it?  BobP

four4me's avatar - gate1
            MD
            United States
            Member #1701
            June 18, 2003
            8394 Posts
            Posted: May 30, 2006, 3:36 pm - IP Logged

This is kinda complicated there are many circumstances where this might not be such a good idea to give it back. Mainly how would you know who lost it.

if i saw someone drop it yes I'd give it back. If it were signed I'd try and find the signer.

if its laying on the ground inside or out side the store i might go to the manager and say i found a ticket. And try and work something out with the manager to find the person. If someone comes in and says they lost said ticket and they know the numbers on it then I'd give it back to them.

Otherwise it's finder keepers, losers weepers.

if it's in a trash can adios amigos I'm off to cash it.

I'd hate for this to happen to me but if i lost a winning ticket and someone cashed it then it's my fault for not holding onto it. Not there's for finding it, more power to em.

Honduras
              Member #20982
              August 29, 2005
              4715 Posts
              Posted: May 30, 2006, 5:44 pm - IP Logged

I would return a luggage with money, but not a lottery ticket. There was a case that came on the newspapers of a old man who won 33 million dollars in the lottery, pay for the ticket but forgot it. I think the guy that works at the place noticed it, and hoped for the old man to come back again soon. He return the winning ticket to the man, but didn't get anything as reward. That wouldn't had happened to me.

"Keno is "el diablo cazador de hombres": you can't see it.." 

United States
                Member #1826
                July 11, 2003
                2645 Posts
                Posted: May 30, 2006, 6:50 pm - IP Logged

One word : NO!

(insert signature here)

United States
                  Member #17555
                  June 22, 2005
                  5582 Posts
                  Posted: May 30, 2006, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

This is kinda complicated there are many circumstances where this might not be such a good idea to give it back. Mainly how would you know who lost it.

if i saw someone drop it yes I'd give it back. If it were signed I'd try and find the signer.

if its laying on the ground inside or out side the store i might go to the manager and say i found a ticket. And try and work something out with the manager to find the person. If someone comes in and says they lost said ticket and they know the numbers on it then I'd give it back to them.

Otherwise it's finder keepers, losers weepers.

if it's in a trash can adios amigos I'm off to cash it.

I'd hate for this to happen to me but if i lost a winning ticket and someone cashed it then it's my fault for not holding onto it. Not there's for finding it, more power to em.

I voted no, based on everything you said. You took the words right out of my mouth.

Why couldn't it be the case that it wasn't their time to win?.....LOL

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                    A long and winding road
                    United States
                    Member #17084
                    June 10, 2005
                    4580 Posts
                    Posted: May 30, 2006, 8:30 pm - IP Logged

I agree with Four4me- The circumstances deem the resulting action. Lets get serious here...The case sited is not the situation posed in the questionaire (poll). Since the poll was a blanket statement , I err to the side of humanness and keep the ticket . So I say No merely because A: it would never happen to me so its a fantasy question and B: If I reap what I sow then I consider it a blessing that a ticket came my way to help me thru my financial obligations :) Gosh knows I've given more then my fair share in losing ticket funds to the lottery.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

pa:888,4445,6132,4444,8008

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                      Zeta Reticuli Star System
                      United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10392 Posts
                      Posted: May 30, 2006, 9:57 pm - IP Logged

I'm with Four4Me too....if there was no doubt the person who lost it would get it, then absolutely yes.

But something like a flyer in the store or an ad in the paper that said:

Found, winning lottery ticket, call 555-5555, would create utter chaos.

As far as tirning it into the police, yikes- years ago a guy and hos son were walking down the street in Jersey City and saw a car in a driveway with the trunk opened. The guy looked inside and found a travel bag with $50,000 cash in it and turned it into the police. (This was in the 1950's and $50,000 was a lot of money).  

The guy he turned it into took off with it.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                        Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: May 31, 2006, 12:44 am - IP Logged

Great story, but like others have written, it's not the same as just finding a ticket. If I found a ticket on the floor of 7-11 that was signed, I would probably turn it in, at least I hope I would. But anyone can say "those are my numbers."  I suppose if I claimed a winning ticket and someone had reported it missing to the Lottery Headquarters it would be different, providing he had positive proof he was the buyer. It's a tough call. 

Only once has this happened to me (must have been a bad day) but I left my tickets on the counter one night. In fact it was at a 7-11.  This was a couple of years ago, but I'll always remember when the store clerk came running after me as I drove off. I meant it when I said I'd give her part of the jackpot if I won that night.  So how can I say I'd keep the ticket? It would be complete hypocrisy.

ScorpionPrince's avatar - einstein albert-einstein-4100103.jpg
                          Holland, Michigan
                          United States
                          Member #37733
                          April 19, 2006
                          75 Posts
                          Posted: May 31, 2006, 3:06 am - IP Logged

If i had a winning ticket I would guard it with my life there's no way in hell I would lose it. If I found it I would cash it in and donate  a portion to charity because there's a reason it was losed and it found its true original owner.

United States
                            Member #16612
                            June 2, 2005
                            3493 Posts
                            Posted: May 31, 2006, 3:41 am - IP Logged

It depends how much the ticket is worth is my vote. If I win a very small amount (examples: $5, $11, etc), I would have cashed it out and keep it. If the jackpot was won, I would say yes, but I rather get some money for help finding the ticket and remind that person.

md
                              United States
                              Member #14047
                              April 20, 2005
                              580 Posts
                              Posted: May 31, 2006, 9:59 am - IP Logged

I voted I'm not sure!  It all depends on circumstances.  The details here are sketchy at best.  I am a very suspicious person by nature.  Turning a winning ticket over to someone, would depend on how much info about the ticket the posting reveals.  Turning it over to the police, I'm not sure.  Turning it over to lottery officials, I'm not sure. 

On any given Sunday I might do x, y, or z!  Tempt me and find out, is the best answer I can give.