Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you return a winning lotto ticket?

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Rip Snorter.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Would you return a winning lottery ticket if you could find the owner?

Yes. [ 23 ]  [50.00%]
No. [ 13 ]  [28.26%]
I'm not sure. [ 7 ]  [15.22%]
It depends how much the ticket is worth [ 3 ]  [6.52%]
Total Valid Votes [ 46 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19816 Posts
Posted: May 31, 2006, 7:53 pm - IP Logged

If it's a winning ticket that signed then it's a no brainer, return it to the person that signed it.  If it isn't signed, I would wait to hear if any person was prepared to prove they lost it and depending on the proof and its value, I would return it or negotiate its return.  Failing to find the real owner I would just consider myself the new lucky owner, cash it and move on with my life.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Morrison, IL
    United States
    Member #4657
    May 13, 2004
    1884 Posts
    Posted: June 2, 2006, 12:05 pm - IP Logged

I would return the ticket if it was signed or if I saw it fall out of someone's pocket. However, if I found the ticket just lying around and it was not signed, I would cash it in for myself. If the purchaser of the ticket did not sign the back of the ticket, it is his or her own fault if he or she loses the ticket and it becomes a winner.

chasingadream's avatar - Archangel 01.jpg

United States
      Member #38687
      May 3, 2006
      315 Posts
      Posted: June 2, 2006, 12:24 pm - IP Logged

I think it would be a different situation if you found an unsigned ticket and you couldn't track the person down.

in this instance I wouldn't really try to hard to find the owner...but when I have to go claim the money I would mos def let the commission know that I found the ticket......wouldn't want another incident like the guy who thought he found a winning 2nd tier ticket and it turned out to be a fake ticket placed by buddy as a practical joke.  He didn't tell the commission that he found it, he told them he purchased it....huge mistake

Oogle  waiting patiently for my jackpot

Fibonacci's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
        New York, NY
        United States
        Member #39471
        May 16, 2006
        2696 Posts
        Posted: June 2, 2006, 12:29 pm - IP Logged

I would because it is the right thing to do. But also I think the owner would be only too grateful and offer a reward. Whatever the aomolunt of the reward I would sleep better spending it than the full amount that I knew was not really mine....

Having said this if I found a winning ticket with no markings, no indication that someone tried to put an identifying mark on it...I would not go looking to make someone else think they lost a ticket! 

$$$

New Mexico
          United States
          Member #12305
          March 10, 2005
          2984 Posts
          Posted: June 7, 2006, 11:06 pm - IP Logged

I mostly agree with Four4me. 

I've returned a good many expensive things I've found (I've been bad about finding things for some reason).  However, on a number of occasions I've found things that could not possibly be identified with an owner.  Those I made no attempts to return.

I've never regretted not trying harder to return those items where no owner was likely to be found.

But I'll confess, a number of things I did return, for one reason or another I've sometimes given myself a mental kick in the backside.

The line between stealing a ticket and finding a ticket is fairly well lit.  If it's signed, and if it is valuable, I'd make some effort to locate the owner.  If it's unsigned, I probably wouldn't.

I don't care how it fits into some abstract definition of honesty.  I mostly just know myself and try to keep in mind I've got to live with me.

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

New Mexico
            United States
            Member #12305
            March 10, 2005
            2984 Posts
            Posted: June 8, 2006, 11:50 am - IP Logged

Ethical issues get fairly foggy in lost and found matters.

During the late '70s an acquaintance of mine named Mike, who was teaching school up in the Panhandle was sitting on his porch one summer evening when a kid he knew of 10 or 11 years old walked by carrying three bricks (pounds) of a green, illegal substance.

"Look what I found!"

"Hmmm.  How much will you take for them?"

"A quarter."

Mike forked over his quarter, figuring the kid needed to be relieved of the stuff as quietly and easily as could be without a lot of hoopla.  He had visions of someone wanting to get the stuff back fairly badly.

So, once it was secured on his kitchen table he asked himself, "What now?"

After some consideration Mike donned a pair of rubber gloves, wrapped one brick in brown paper, addressed it to a late-lady friend who'd done him badly wrong, broken his heart, and moved off to New Orleans. Those were the early days and they were just getting sniffer dogs in the larger post offices.

Mike put a false return address on the package and drove over to a nearby berg to mail it.

The other two bricks, he turned over to a policeman acquaintance, who came back a few days later and presented him with a $100 bill.

So far as I know he never made any effort to find the original owner of this property, but he figured justice was done, anyway.

Lost and found issues and ethics can travel off in a lot of different directions.

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser