Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 3:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Oklahoma Powerball Winner

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 11 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
sfilippo's avatar - skull
Oklahoma
United States
Member #33770
February 24, 2006
3146 Posts
Posted: June 18, 2006, 9:57 am - IP Logged

It wasn't me. Just wanted to clarify that.

Smiley Steve

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23349 Posts
    Posted: June 18, 2006, 10:08 am - IP Logged

Whoever it is, that fantasic news for them and their state. Oklahoma did not have to wait too long for a $100 million winner!

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

wreakshavok777's avatar - enzyte thumb.jpg
      oklahoma
      United States
      Member #12313
      March 10, 2005
      165 Posts
      Posted: June 18, 2006, 10:34 am - IP Logged

Anyone know where a feller can cash a big cardboard check with alot of zero's on it?

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!

United States
        Member #16612
        June 2, 2005
        3493 Posts
        Posted: June 18, 2006, 11:23 am - IP Logged

Todd, I want to say congratulations to our first Oklahoma PB Jackpot. I wonder who won this jackpot in Oklahoma? I hope this winner takes cash and doesn't have financial problems later.

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
          North Dakota
          United States
          Member #13397
          April 5, 2005
          1623 Posts
          Posted: June 18, 2006, 11:37 am - IP Logged

Hey check it out.  It's cash only jr.  Anyway to stay ontopic...  Congrats to the first OK winner.  I thought NC would have the next winner. 

How are you going to win if you don't play?

Morrison, IL
            United States
            Member #4657
            May 13, 2004
            1884 Posts
            Posted: June 18, 2006, 12:36 pm - IP Logged

NC will probably have the next one, although I hope it's in IA (me).

bobby623's avatar - abstract
              San Angelo, Texas
              United States
              Member #1097
              January 31, 2003
              1405 Posts
              Posted: June 18, 2006, 1:04 pm - IP Logged

This win for OK put another underline under the huge mistake greedy Texas lottery folks made when they decided to go with Mega Millions.

They were trying to protect the Texas Lotto game, which by the way, crashed in flames.

To those who care, TLC attempts to have both jackpot games has also crashed. Word is that the other MM managers have refused to discuss it. The PB folks aren't intereted, either.

By the way, again, the Texas 6/54 game isn't doing well, as many predicted.

Kudos to the OK lottery folks for making the right choice.

United States
                Member #379
                June 5, 2002
                11296 Posts
                Posted: June 18, 2006, 1:10 pm - IP Logged

Does anyone know where the winner was sold? I have a friend in Jenks, a suburb of Tulsa. She voted for the lottery, but will play PB only for a very high amount.

Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23349 Posts
                  Posted: June 18, 2006, 3:56 pm - IP Logged

This win for OK put another underline under the huge mistake greedy Texas lottery folks made when they decided to go with Mega Millions.

They were trying to protect the Texas Lotto game, which by the way, crashed in flames.

To those who care, TLC attempts to have both jackpot games has also crashed. Word is that the other MM managers have refused to discuss it. The PB folks aren't intereted, either.

By the way, again, the Texas 6/54 game isn't doing well, as many predicted.

Kudos to the OK lottery folks for making the right choice.

Where's you evidence that Mega Millions is not doing well?!

As far as I can see, Mega Millions is doing as well as ever.

San Angelo, Texas
                    United States
                    Member #1097
                    January 31, 2003
                    1405 Posts
                    Posted: June 18, 2006, 5:40 pm - IP Logged

I don't think I said MegaMillions is not doing well.

I said the new Texas 6/54 game is not doing well.

United States
                      Member #1826
                      July 11, 2003
                      2645 Posts
                      Posted: June 19, 2006, 5:29 am - IP Logged

Nice to see a state get it's first Powerball jackpot.

But that's the only nice thing about a jackpot win when the winner isn't me. Other than it being the first OK winner, it f***ing bites. At least Match 6 is still up there.

(insert signature here)

Chief Bottle Washer
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #1
                        May 31, 2000
                        23349 Posts
                        Posted: June 19, 2006, 6:37 am - IP Logged

I don't think I said MegaMillions is not doing well.

I said the new Texas 6/54 game is not doing well.

You said, "To those who care, TLC attempts to have both jackpot games has also crashed. Word is that the other MM managers have refused to discuss it."

That is where you said it.  I bolded the key text in case you don't see what I see.

According to your statement you have some kind of "inside information" on what Mega Millions managers are saying, so is that true, or did you misspeak?

sfilippo's avatar - skull
                          Oklahoma
                          United States
                          Member #33770
                          February 24, 2006
                          3146 Posts
                          Posted: June 19, 2006, 9:02 am - IP Logged

Does anyone know where the winner was sold? I have a friend in Jenks, a suburb of Tulsa. She voted for the lottery, but will play PB only for a very high amount.

Usually, the lottery officials will tell the public where the winning ticket was sold, but  not this time.

I have a feeling the winner owns the store that the ticket was bought from and has contacted lottery officials already to not disclose his/her store/identity until further notice.

It could be that same couple in Foss, Oklahoma who won one million from their own store's powerball machine.

At any rate, whoever it is, it's really great for Oklahoma. I can't wait to find out who won.

Smiley Steve

San Angelo, Texas
                            United States
                            Member #1097
                            January 31, 2003
                            1405 Posts
                            Posted: June 19, 2006, 9:42 am - IP Logged

Todd

My bringing Texas into an OK event was just a tongue in cheek action stemming from long term rivalry between the two states at many levels other than football.  No reason for me to explain further. I just believe OK lottery folks are smarter than those here in Texas.

As for MegaMillions not doing well - You seem to want to apply that to the game as a whole. I have no information, inside or otherwise, about the overall health of the game. I only know that Texas has never met the profit levels used to justify MM over PB way back when. It's a reality. The game is here whether players like it or not.

As for having both jackpot games in Texas, you have to go to the Texas lottery website and read the minutes of past commission meetings. You have to go back several months and read every entry.

This idea was hatched by one commissioner, who apparently can't accept certain business realities. MM and PB folks are separate organizations and no one really believes they will ever come together and establish a business plan that would allow the games to compete in a single state.

This item is being watched closely by lot of folks here in Texas, including lottery critic Dawn Nettles. Getting the second game would expand gambling and not many folks favor that, again, here in Texas.

One of the top lottery officialshas reported an inabliity to get other MM managers to discuss the issue. My interpretation of the last comments on this issue is that the other managers are happy with the current arrangement. There was also some reluctance by the managers to produce written minutes of their meetings, if you can believe that., so its impossible to know why they want to maintain the status quo.

But, one has to consider that 95 percent of the discussions about MM/PB in Texas is discussed in secret.

The power of gambling money is limitless, so, who knows what the future will bring.

Sorry if my attempt at 'rivalry humor' went awry.

Chief Bottle Washer
                              New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #1
                              May 31, 2000
                              23349 Posts
                              Posted: June 19, 2006, 10:36 am - IP Logged

Bobby623,

Hmm.... I re-read your post and I'm sorry but I can't see anything that would indicate that you're joking.  It looks like a serious complaint.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with complaining.  This site is completely independent from the state lotteries, and I complain about them myself sometimes.

In your complaint you said that both Mega Millions and TX Lotto were not doing well and you indicated that you had heard "word" of conversations by the Mega Millions managers. 

I had not heard any such things, so I asked you for more info.  Is that not a reasonable request?

From your latest post, I am guessing that the "word" you got is actually something you read on Dawn Nettles' web site. 

For all the faults that the Texas Lottery has, I do not buy-in to the conspiracy theories that Dawn Nettles concocts about them.  Just because she may be correct about a few complaints does not justify the 90% of her complaints that are exaggerated or just plain wrong.

In fact, it's not just the Texas Lottery that is the target of her conspiracy theories.

For example, did you know that she actually accused me of being an ex-lottery employee, or somehow being connected to a state lottery, and that Lottery Post was setup in order to spread good word about the lotteries?

Did you know that she based this conclusion on the fact that I do not list my personal telephone number and address on my web site?  If you don't believe me, I'm sure I saved the e-mail someplace, and I'd be happy to post it.

Another time she wrote to me saying how bad the Mega Millions choice was for Texas (which is probably how you formed your anti-Mega Millions opinion), and when I wrote back saying that I disagreed with her -- a very pleasant note I might add -- she started flaming my inbox with all kinds of nasty e-mails. 

At that point I realized why the Texas Lottery dislikes her so much.  ANYONE would dislike somebody like that.  She does her research, and if you don't agree with her, she gets very nasty and starts throwing conspiracy-theory accusations about you.  What she did to me (more than once!) was exactly the kind of tactic that she uses on the Texas Lottery, and I did not realize that until she actually did it to me.  What an eye-opener that was!

Sorry to burst your bubble (or anyone else's who is a big fan of Dawn Nettles), but if you're going to her web site to discover the real truth about the Texas Lottery, then for much of it you are barking up the wrong tree.

I believe there is a fairly large group of people (my estimation is somewhere in the hundreds) that follow her comments very closely and believe everything she says.  That's just fine, and the fact that anyone can say basically whatever they want is one of the great things about the Internet.

But the fact that a group of people believes her does not make it true.

Mega Millions was absolutely the best choice for Texas -- Powerball was a bad fit -- and Mega Millions is in fact doing very well in the state of Texas, as well as the other Mega Millions states.  No thanks to Dawn Nettles.

Now that Texas wisely changed their Lotto game back to a Pick 6 format, their game lineup is awesome.