Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 7:51 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Oklahoma Powerball Winner

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 11 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
bobby623's avatar - abstract
San Angelo, Texas
United States
Member #1097
January 31, 2003
1405 Posts
Posted: June 19, 2006, 11:29 am - IP Logged

Todd

Glad you have such a high opinion of Texas Lottery. Pardon me if I have a different opinion.

I think the powers in control are still looking for a permanent Texas lottery director.

For all her faults, and she apparently has many in your opinion, Dawn Nettles does provide a service. Except for her interest, there are a lot of things about the Texas lottery that we players wouldn't otherwise be aware of. As a retired newspaper reporter, I can tell you that the gathering of lottery news is very, very low on the totum pole in Texas.

My reasons for buying lottery products are my own. Like everyone else, you included, I have various schemes that I apply when playing a game. It's a waste of time, but, I have won a few dollars here and there. I certainly don't blame Nettles, Lottery Post, or any other person or group for not winning as often as I would like.

I've heard Nettles can be 'a bitch' and maybe isn't as smart as she thinks, but she does enjoy a lot of respect and lottery managers do fear her, to some extent. She has sources inside the lottery and I believe a lot of what she reports is based on fact. But then, she is probably being used by some to further their objectives, whatever they may be.

My opinions are my own. I'm not influenced by Nettles or anyone else. I think that PB would have been a better fit, but, I didn't get a chance to vote on it.

As for Pick 6/54, it might survive and become a money maker, but, again, in my opinion, I think Pick 6/50 would have been a better choice. Face it, any main lottery game needs more than 2 million regular players to survive.

Maybe that was the plan to begin with. A low turn out and the odds means the jackpot is not likely to be won. Advancing at $1 million per drawing may one day produce a large enough jackpot to get more players interested. Or not.

There are many forms of humor. Frankly, I find all the machinations lottery folks use to get my money to be hilarious. 

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23352 Posts
    Posted: June 19, 2006, 11:54 am - IP Logged

You said, "lottery managers do fear her".

Unlike Dawn Nettles, I would much rather be respected than feared.  I too know people "on the inside" at some lotteries, and it is not necessary to be the kind of person you described her to be in order to gather useful information.  In fact, you will gather much more reliable information using the opposite approach to what she uses.  (I think Texans are fond of the saying, "you will attract more bees with honey rather than vinegar.")

I disagree with your statement that TX Lotto should be 6/50.  With a players base as large as Texas', the jackpots would be hit too often to grow large enough.  If you really want the game to tank, change it to 6/50.

I base my opinions of how lotteries work throughout the USA and the world, not just a myopic view of Texas, as Nettles does.

I think it is disingenuous of you to say that you are not influenced by Mega Millions/Powerball information provided by Nettles.  As a self-proclaimed reader of her website, where else did you get your facts, other than her website and newsletter?  Do you submit your own freedom of information act requests to the Texas Lottery?  Do you attend the lottery meetings yourself?

That's like saying that your only source of daily news is the New York Times, but you don't have liberal tendencies.  It comes with the territory, so it's only natural that if you read her newsletters you're going to be influenced by her opinions.

It's obvious that we have two distinctly differing views on the Texas Lottery and its game of chance.

I respect your opinion, and I'm providing some information to you that I thought you may find useful in re-evaluating your positions.  It is your choice to stand firm or to welcome differing opinions with an open mind.

What you choose, it's your state, so be sure to make your opinion known to the lottery as often as you can.

Cheers

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
      Member #379
      June 5, 2002
      11296 Posts
      Posted: June 19, 2006, 12:18 pm - IP Logged

You said, "lottery managers do fear her".

Unlike Dawn Nettles, I would much rather be respected than feared.  I too know people "on the inside" at some lotteries, and it is not necessary to be the kind of person you described her to be in order to gather useful information.  In fact, you will gather much more reliable information using the opposite approach to what she uses.  (I think Texans are fond of the saying, "you will attract more bees with honey rather than vinegar.")

I disagree with your statement that TX Lotto should be 6/50.  With a players base as large as Texas', the jackpots would be hit too often to grow large enough.  If you really want the game to tank, change it to 6/50.

I base my opinions of how lotteries work throughout the USA and the world, not just a myopic view of Texas, as Nettles does.

I think it is disingenuous of you to say that you are not influenced by Mega Millions/Powerball information provided by Nettles.  As a self-proclaimed reader of her website, where else did you get your facts, other than her website and newsletter?  Do you submit your own freedom of information act requests to the Texas Lottery?  Do you attend the lottery meetings yourself?

That's like saying that your only source of daily news is the New York Times, but you don't have liberal tendencies.  It comes with the territory, so it's only natural that if you read her newsletters you're going to be influenced by her opinions.

It's obvious that we have two distinctly differing views on the Texas Lottery and its game of chance.

I respect your opinion, and I'm providing some information to you that I thought you may find useful in re-evaluating your positions.  It is your choice to stand firm or to welcome differing opinions with an open mind.

What you choose, it's your state, so be sure to make your opinion known to the lottery as often as you can.

Cheers

I agree with the 6/54 matrix for Texas. Lotto South's 6/49 was too small IMO, which probably explains why South Carolina didn't join, and that LS was replaced by the hated Lose for Life.

United States
        Member #379
        June 5, 2002
        11296 Posts
        Posted: June 19, 2006, 12:22 pm - IP Logged

BTW the updated jackpot estimate was $101.8 million. www.palottery.com