Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 2:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

6/19-last top prize in Unlucky for Life?

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 10 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Will there be no more booby prizes?

Yes [ 2 ]  [25.00%]
No [ 4 ]  [50.00%]
Won't guess [ 2 ]  [25.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 8 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
Member #12618
March 18, 2005
2060 Posts
Posted: August 16, 2006, 7:37 pm - IP Logged

A new game would be nice. I wonder if they will add a new game and still keep the other ones?

Dance like no one is watching.

United States
    Member #1826
    July 11, 2003
    2645 Posts
    Posted: August 17, 2006, 12:33 am - IP Logged

Well, it will be a new game, and it will replace an existing game which I can only assume will be LFL. At least I hope that's the game getting replaced. I would not be happy if they took Match 6 away from me.

(insert signature here)

United States
      Member #379
      June 5, 2002
      11296 Posts
      Posted: August 17, 2006, 12:05 pm - IP Logged

I'm sure Match 6 is a stronger game than Unlucky for Life. M-6 has inspired a number of similar games in the US and Canada.

Delaware
        United States
        Member #30273
        January 14, 2006
        494 Posts
        Posted: August 22, 2006, 10:57 am - IP Logged

PA probably thinks it's too big for HL, which does need a matrix change, or even go to $2 a game.

How can you suggest changes to Unlucky for Life without adding a cash option?

Because not everyone in this forum cares about the cash option.

I wouldn't want to see HL go to a $2 game, but perhaps a Powerplay (dare I suggest: "Hot Potato" option) for an additional dollar that would multiply the prizes like Powerball.

United States
          Member #379
          June 5, 2002
          11296 Posts
          Posted: August 22, 2006, 7:00 pm - IP Logged

HL needs a matrix change more than a powerplay option. MUSL should be considering making HL a $2 game to see when Powerball should double its price.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
            Harbinger
            D.C./MD.
            United States
            Member #44103
            July 30, 2006
            5587 Posts
            Posted: August 22, 2006, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

June 19 saw what might have been the first booby prize in Unlucky for Life since mid-January. Will tonight's 6/6 be the last for this hated game?

Booby prize meaning terrible odds for lowly pay-out? I think MD's Multi-Match game which replaced Classic Lotto is of the same boobyness.  They eliminated a perfectly good game which grew in size and had a decent pay-out, for a rip-off pay, to pay, to pay game.  The game goes like this; each play is $2.00 you pick 6 numbers then the LOTTERY COMPUTER picks another 2 sets of 6 numbers for a total of 3 sets of 6 numbers! If you have pairs or triples on consecutive lines you win small prizes like this;

OVERALL CHANCES OF WINNING: 1 IN 8.5

Matching on a single lineProbability of winning
            per line [1 in x]
            Probability of winning
            per $2 ticket [1 in x]***
            Prizes
            6 of 66,096,454.02,032,151.7Jackpot*
            5 of 627,461.59,154.2$1,000**
            4 of 6610.3203.8$20**
            3 of 639.213.4$2**
            Matching on multiplied linesApproximate probability of winning per $2 ticket [1 in x]Prizes
            10+ of 18168,239.7$2,000*
            9 of 1815,098.4$500**
            8 of 181,740.2$100**
            7 of 18272.5$20**
            6 of 1858.0$7**
            5 of 1816.9$2**

Essentially the odds for the big prize is the same as Classic but they get $2.00 instead of $1.00 per play! Of course the pot grows very slowly now $50 K between games twice a week.  People aren't playing this game, obviously, hopefully they'll (The Lootery Peeps) figure it out and bring back Classic Lotto that was around for 22 years and had faster growing jackpots. They used to grow at a rate of about 250K btwn. games.  What really hurts this game is the fact you have the computer picking numbers, this is wrong, very wrong. In order to get more interest in games they should reduce odds or increase payouts. LOL.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
              A long and winding road
              United States
              Member #17084
              June 10, 2005
              4579 Posts
              Posted: August 22, 2006, 8:54 pm - IP Logged

Jarsen- Thank you for bringing to lite the sheer lunacy of the Marylands version of the Match 6 game. As a northern neighbor from your residing state , I sometimes contribute to the md lottery by giving a few plays. After reading that the advertised jackpot is for annuity it dawned on me what a poor payout it really is. Even PA's Match 6 starts out at 500K (cash) not a meagerly 200K like MD does. MD winnings are taxable on all levels...*sigh*

Hopefully MD will revamp its state lottery games...

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

pa:888,4445,6132,4444,8008

United States
                Member #379
                June 5, 2002
                11296 Posts
                Posted: August 24, 2006, 1:49 pm - IP Logged

I don't see Maryland making changes anytime soon. Classic Lotto was retired this year.

Delaware
                  United States
                  Member #30273
                  January 14, 2006
                  494 Posts
                  Posted: September 5, 2006, 10:42 pm - IP Logged

I don't see Maryland making changes anytime soon. Classic Lotto was retired this year.

I Agree!

Maryland replaced Lotto because of the popularity of PA's game, and that DE has it too (tho DE's is crappy by comparison to either PA or MD). I will agree with you on this one game tho, CASH, that MD should've made the $500K prize the cash value with either no annuity simply because PA's is such or (agreeing stops here) an annuity that starts at $1 million. $500k on an annuity is pretty pathedic ($20k/yr/25 yrs), and I have trouble believing that MD lottery wouldn't have the reserves on hand to pay that game as a cash prize.

United States
                    Member #379
                    June 5, 2002
                    11296 Posts
                    Posted: September 6, 2006, 4:13 pm - IP Logged

The ONLY reason sales in Unlucky for Life jumped for Monday's drawing is that PA mailed coupons to players statewide. Sales eventually will drop sharply again.

United States
                      Member #379
                      June 5, 2002
                      11296 Posts
                      Posted: September 22, 2006, 3:35 pm - IP Logged

UNlucky for Life must be retired in December. This game never should have been allowed to exist without a cash option.

United States
                        Member #16612
                        June 2, 2005
                        3493 Posts
                        Posted: September 24, 2006, 12:16 am - IP Logged

I agree with you CASH Only. I hope Unlucky for Life will retire. Are there any booby jackpot winners lately?

Delaware
                          United States
                          Member #30273
                          January 14, 2006
                          494 Posts
                          Posted: September 24, 2006, 12:21 am - IP Logged

I agree with you CASH Only. I hope Unlucky for Life will retire. Are there any booby jackpot winners lately?

You make it sound like you'll be surrounded by Hooter's girls if you win...

United States
                            Member #1826
                            July 11, 2003
                            2645 Posts
                            Posted: September 24, 2006, 1:23 am - IP Logged

In response to jarasan's post:

Keep in mind that a smaller percentage, a much smaller percentage, of gross sales is going into the top prize. Lotto put just slightly less than 30% of sales into the jackpot. 

But all in all, Classic Lotto was much, much better, and that's saying a lot because I really like the whole Match 6/Multi-Match/Multi-Hand Easy-Win concept. I miss it a lot.

(insert signature here)

United States
                              Member #379
                              June 5, 2002
                              11296 Posts
                              Posted: September 25, 2006, 9:40 am - IP Logged

In response to jarasan's post:

Keep in mind that a smaller percentage, a much smaller percentage, of gross sales is going into the top prize. Lotto put just slightly less than 30% of sales into the jackpot. 

But all in all, Classic Lotto was much, much better, and that's saying a lot because I really like the whole Match 6/Multi-Match/Multi-Hand Easy-Win concept. I miss it a lot.

Are you referring to Wild Card Lotto or Super 7? Even Super 6 was closer to the "classic lotto" format, but it was like Match 6 since you could pick only 1/3 of the numbers.