Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 2:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

need help--computer issues

Topic closed. 56 replies. Last post 10 years ago by four4me.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
lottolove06's avatar - disney28
TN
United States
Member #35633
March 20, 2006
44 Posts
Posted: June 23, 2006, 4:40 pm - IP Logged

Sounds like Bellsouth...I get static also...

Good Luck....WIn Enough to buy out the phone Co. :)

New Mexico
    United States
    Member #12305
    March 10, 2005
    2984 Posts
    Posted: June 23, 2006, 4:53 pm - IP Logged

Sounds like Bellsouth...I get static also...

Good Luck....WIn Enough to buy out the phone Co. :)

Maybe the regular phone systems in this country are just going south with everything else.  I'm on something called QWest.... covers NM and AZ (at least).  I don't know whether it's because the village I live in is the end of nowhere and the lines are old, (last place I lived was less remote and seemed to have similar problems), or whether it's just business as usual for QWest, but I will testify it was better for voice communications before the Bell Telephone Company got nuked.

No way of knowing whether the same would be true for comps.

This thread has me wondering whether a person mightn't be better off going off regular telephone service entirely, using the cell for whatever talking needs doing, and using the telephone service fee money saved to help offset the cost of some other kind of internet connection.

Mightn't come out a precise equal, but it might be close enough to get within range of being doable.

If it costs 50 bucks a month for a fast connection, does the person have to also have a server, ..... right now I go online with zianet.com.  Would I be able to cancel zianet (20 bucks a month) as well as the phone service?

If someone knows the answer I'll be obliged to hear it.

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

United States
      Member #17555
      June 22, 2005
      5582 Posts
      Posted: June 23, 2006, 5:05 pm - IP Logged

Rip,It all depends on whether you have a cable service provider. Alot of places, even populated, don't. I know that my sister lives in Los Angeles area, and where she lives they don't have cable.

My cable bill is 47 bucks for high-speed, and another 28 bucks for basic cable tv.

I use my cell phone as my standard phone, so I don't need a home phone. Better yet, Metro PCS has a good plan for about 50 bucks a month. You can call anywhere in the country at any time, and talk for as long as you want for one price. The only drawback is if you leave the area, let's say a hundred miles or so, you would have to pay extra, but if you don't travel much then it's a great deal.

LottoVantage's avatar - BRITIS 3.GIF
        Southeastern Ohio
        United States
        Member #13850
        April 16, 2005
        783 Posts
        Posted: June 23, 2006, 5:16 pm - IP Logged

Well, I have DSL Broadband with Verizon which still utilizes your existing phone line. Now, they give you filters to use on all the phone connections in your Adobe, hee hee, I just couldn't resist, and this appears to solve the static problems. I had static so bad before I installed the filters that I couldn't hardly understand anything anyone said. Still can't, but thats another issue, hee hee! Also you need access to a T1 telephone line to install DSL Broadband. The other two options, I think, are Cable Broadband, and Satellite Broadband. If there is anyone else with more info on this, jump in! By the way, DSL costs me $29.00 a month over my regular phone bill.

LottoVantage

New Mexico
          United States
          Member #12305
          March 10, 2005
          2984 Posts
          Posted: June 23, 2006, 5:22 pm - IP Logged

Rip,It all depends on whether you have a cable service provider. Alot of places, even populated, don't. I know that my sister lives in Los Angeles area, and where she lives they don't have cable.

My cable bill is 47 bucks for high-speed, and another 28 bucks for basic cable tv.

I use my cell phone as my standard phone, so I don't need a home phone. Better yet, Metro PCS has a good plan for about 50 bucks a month. You can call anywhere in the country at any time, and talk for as long as you want for one price. The only drawback is if you leave the area, let's say a hundred miles or so, you would have to pay extra, but if you don't travel much then it's a great deal.

Thanks PAC:

I don't know whether we have cable here, or not.  I don't have a TV, so, although I'd supposed the people around here had cable TV, I don't know. 

I see these little half-pint dishes all over the place on peoples houses, so maybe they get TV from that.

I do see Econoline vans running around here with signs on the sides referring to fast internet.... I think Comcrast might be one..... and I might have seen one with something about DHL, or DHS.

I think this thread's got me inspired enough to find out, however.  I have a cell phone anyway, which I don't use much but have a contract for a year, I think. (I don't answer it unless I recognize the number calling, which means I don't answer it when it rings), so I mostly only use it for outbound calls, anyway.

And the only reason I have the other phone line is for Internet..... I don't answer it when it rings, ever, and I don't recall the last time I made an outbound call on it.

Next time I see a truck with Comcrast on the side I'm going to run him off the road and talk to him, thinks I.

Gracias,

J

Egos don't count.

New Mexico
            United States
            Member #12305
            March 10, 2005
            2984 Posts
            Posted: June 23, 2006, 5:25 pm - IP Logged

Well, I have DSL Broadband with Verizon which still utilizes your existing phone line. Now, they give you filters to use on all the phone connections in your Adobe, hee hee, I just couldn't resist, and this appears to solve the static problems. I had static so bad before I installed the filters that I couldn't hardly understand anything anyone said. Still can't, but thats another issue, hee hee! Also you need access to a T1 telephone line to install DSL Broadband. The other two options, I think, are Cable Broadband, and Satellite Broadband. If there is anyone else with more info on this, jump in! By the way, DSL costs me $29.00 a month over my regular phone bill.

LottoVantage

Thanks LottoVantage:

That surely adds a new twist to things.

Gracias,

Jack

Egos don't count.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
              Tennessee
              United States
              Member #7853
              October 15, 2004
              11338 Posts
              Posted: June 23, 2006, 5:32 pm - IP Logged

we did a test my modem is good,access numbers are good,aol is preplexed at the problem.

Tennessee
                United States
                Member #7853
                October 15, 2004
                11338 Posts
                Posted: June 23, 2006, 5:35 pm - IP Logged

we did a test my modem is good,access numbers are good,aol is preplexed at the problem.could i have a virus?

New Mexico
                  United States
                  Member #12305
                  March 10, 2005
                  2984 Posts
                  Posted: June 23, 2006, 5:44 pm - IP Logged

we did a test my modem is good,access numbers are good,aol is preplexed at the problem.

That sounds like something worth checking, Mike.

I let my subscription to Norton Symantic expire in January so I wasn't getting the downloads updates.... didn't figure I needed them.

Got so the comp didn't know whether it was Abel or Mabel by the end of May, and one of the things acting up was the modem.

I ordered a new CD from Norton and installed it, no end to the entities possessing my comp, including something woodpeckering my modem.

It got a lot better after Norton boogied with it for a couple of days.

I don't know whether the modem thing was a virus, or just something called a worm.  I do know the comp kept trying to dial up all the time even when I didn't want it to, so's I was having to unplug it to go offline, and when I wanted to be online half the time it would tell me I couldn't.

Might be worth checking out on yours if you have Norton.

Jack

Egos don't count.

United States
                    Member #17555
                    June 22, 2005
                    5582 Posts
                    Posted: June 23, 2006, 5:48 pm - IP Logged

Rip...Says " gonna run him off the road"....ROFL

You gotta love Rip's never ending humor...Green laugh

Tennessee
                      United States
                      Member #7853
                      October 15, 2004
                      11338 Posts
                      Posted: June 23, 2006, 5:49 pm - IP Logged

thanks rip,thats what is happening.its dialing up like crazy.i need to let norton do a boogie with it and see if that don't make things better.the problem is i need to figure out how to get it.how much is it? do they send it in the mail on a disc to download? is it online?

Tennessee
                        United States
                        Member #7853
                        October 15, 2004
                        11338 Posts
                        Posted: June 23, 2006, 6:02 pm - IP Logged

AOL IS UNABLE TO MAINTAIN A CONNECTION BECAUSE YOUR MODEM STOPPED RESPONDING.......? what does this mean

New Mexico
                          United States
                          Member #12305
                          March 10, 2005
                          2984 Posts
                          Posted: June 23, 2006, 6:03 pm - IP Logged

thanks rip,thats what is happening.its dialing up like crazy.i need to let norton do a boogie with it and see if that don't make things better.the problem is i need to figure out how to get it.how much is it? do they send it in the mail on a disc to download? is it online?

Mike:

I got two different things.  One was Norton Internet Security, the other was Norton System Works.

They had them on download, but downloading is a source of major blood-pressure issues here, so I ordered the CD.

It runs through all kinds of things in the middle of the night and tells you it found 14,675 errors that need fixing and do you want it to fix them.  I've never tried saying, Nawww.  I like it better having all that stuff wrong with it, but I assume it's possible someone else would.

Anyway, it cost $50-$60 and after a year it's no good anymore, which seems a ripoff.

But it's the lesser of evils.

I'm trying to find the Norton site on a search engine to give you a link.  When I get it I'll post it.

Jack

Egos don't count.

New Mexico
                            United States
                            Member #12305
                            March 10, 2005
                            2984 Posts
                            Posted: June 23, 2006, 6:28 pm - IP Logged

Mike:

I think this is where I ordered it:

http://www.symantecstore.com/dr/v2/ec_routing.derive?ProductName=NortonSystemWorksBasicEdition&Version=9.0&Language=EN&Type=Retail&VendorName=&Locale=0409

Egos don't count.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                              MD
                              United States
                              Member #1701
                              June 18, 2003
                              8363 Posts
                              Posted: June 23, 2006, 6:43 pm - IP Logged

AOL IS UNABLE TO MAINTAIN A CONNECTION BECAUSE YOUR MODEM STOPPED RESPONDING.......? what does this mean

Mike did you try switching the access number you use to connect to aol. Sometime that numbers server gets overwhelmed because thousands of people are trying to get online at the same time.

when you open aol before you hit sign on click the lil box below where you sign on and add a new number to your list. see if that helps.