Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 5:17 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

i ordered broadband tired of dial up-need advice

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Rip Snorter.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
Tennessee
United States
Member #7853
October 15, 2004
11338 Posts
Posted: June 29, 2006, 2:21 am - IP Logged

thanks everyone! ky floyd thank you for explaining this.i don't know a lot about computers.

Poway CA (San Diego County)
    United States
    Member #3489
    January 25, 2004
    14120 Posts
    Posted: June 29, 2006, 2:29 am - IP Logged

I would have suggested you considered either one of the Bell companies or a local wireless service (many have unlimited service now). AOL is rather expensive and know that the base of AOL's broadband is on the backbone of the local Bell companies. A drawback with cable, that no one will tell you is, the more people on it, the slower it can become.

In regards to it failing, yes, it can. Either due to lightening or power outage at the local service. Generally, the most I have had to do is turn the receiver off for a minute and turn it back on and everything functions fine. Also, no additional software is needed for Windows XP to work with DSL service.

Good Luck

Sir Metro

I have cable for my TV, my Internet, and my Telephone.  I love it.  When you download a file and it gives an estimate in minutes for the download to complete at a 56K modem, you can change the minutes to seconds and you will be very close. 

Concerning the cable slowing down when there are more people on it, that is only if the cable provider is not doing it right.  My cable provider has a limit of 10 on a node.  There is never any noticeable slowdown.  And I know at least 3 of my neighbors are on the cable and since I am on day and night, they have to be on at the same time as I am sometimes!

Is AOL doing DSL?  If so, the speed is dependent on how far you are from the switch station.  You have to be very close to get the speed the ISPs advertise.

four4me's avatar - gate1
      MD
      United States
      Member #1701
      June 18, 2003
      8392 Posts
      Posted: June 29, 2006, 2:35 am - IP Logged

Now just hope that 5yr old pc you have will have enough memory on board to handle broadband. Most all of todays pc's run circles around most 5yr old pc's.

In either event aol's software will make adjustments to your pc's components for you to have the best experiance. but your pc probably has 125 mega bites of cache memory and would need at least twice that to keep you pc running smoothly. Todays pcs out of the box have 250 megabites and higher. Also the have far superior processors than any 5 yr old machine.  

The bad part about having an older pc is you cant just run to the store and buy hardware to keep up. cause most older motherboards aren't designed for the newer componets.

Might be time to pass your old pc to the youngins and get a new one.

United States
        Member #3489
        January 25, 2004
        14120 Posts
        Posted: June 29, 2006, 2:38 am - IP Logged

what is the difference between broadband(which i'll be getting soon) and the cable internet. i'm getting aol broadband.they say they are sending me the stuff in the mail to hook it up....

DSL and Cable are broadband, which is just a term for a connection with a lot of bandwidth. Setting up your own cable connection is usually pretty easy, but if you have any trouble unlimited tech support is one of the things you get for your money. If it goes smoothly it may be as simple as running a cable from the wall to the cable modem and either a USB or ethernet cable from the modem to your computer. There should be an installation CD that establishes any network connections that are necessary. If you don't already have a cable jack close to your computer running the cable is likely to be most of the  work.

Don't worry about other people slowing down your cable connection. Unless all of your neighbors download at the same instant that you do your connection isn't likely to be the bottleneck.  You'll wait for servers to send stuff, but unless you and your neigbors are downloading huge files at the same time even a mediocre cable connection is usually a lot faster than DSL. When you're up and running you can check your connection speed here: http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/ 

I did the test and here is what I got with my cable modem:

1.4 megabits per second

T1 (which is expensive) was just barely better at 1.58 megabits per second.

I am glad that I had the cable company install my connection.  It was a lot of work and required specialized tools to put the connectors on the fiber optic cables.  They also ran fiber optic cable all the way out to the telephone pole.

Tennessee
          United States
          Member #7853
          October 15, 2004
          11338 Posts
          Posted: June 29, 2006, 2:44 am - IP Logged

i don't have the finances just yet but when i do i think i am going to get a new one........

United States
            Member #3489
            January 25, 2004
            14120 Posts
            Posted: June 29, 2006, 2:45 am - IP Logged

Now just hope that 5yr old pc you have will have enough memory on board to handle broadband. Most all of todays pc's run circles around most 5yr old pc's.

In either event aol's software will make adjustments to your pc's components for you to have the best experiance. but your pc probably has 125 mega bites of cache memory and would need at least twice that to keep you pc running smoothly. Todays pcs out of the box have 250 megabites and higher. Also the have far superior processors than any 5 yr old machine.  

The bad part about having an older pc is you cant just run to the store and buy hardware to keep up. cause most older motherboards aren't designed for the newer componets.

Might be time to pass your old pc to the youngins and get a new one.

My PC is at least 5 years old.  It came with 512 MB of ram.  The cache memory is set by the owner and it uses a part of disk space.  This computer has a 40GB hard drive and 1.69GHz microprocessor.  All of that was standard.

The only thing I don't like about this computer is that it has USB 1 ports and everything on the market today is USB 2.  My computer is a Toshiba notebook.

Tennessee
              United States
              Member #7853
              October 15, 2004
              11338 Posts
              Posted: June 29, 2006, 2:55 am - IP Logged

this one is 2002 HP pavillion it has........1.29 ghz...256 mb of RAM...1300 mhz....

four4me's avatar - gate1
                MD
                United States
                Member #1701
                June 18, 2003
                8392 Posts
                Posted: June 29, 2006, 2:56 am - IP Logged

this one is 2002 HP pavillion it has........1.29 ghz...256 mb of RAM...1300 mhz....

mike thats great just buy some more ram for it and you'll be loving life. 

Tennessee
                  United States
                  Member #7853
                  October 15, 2004
                  11338 Posts
                  Posted: June 29, 2006, 3:01 am - IP Logged

thanks man.where can i buy a ram.where would i put it?

four4me's avatar - gate1
                    MD
                    United States
                    Member #1701
                    June 18, 2003
                    8392 Posts
                    Posted: June 29, 2006, 3:24 am - IP Logged

thanks man.where can i buy a ram.where would i put it?

Just about anywhere they sell computers. i usually look in the sunday paper and see which place might have it cheepest be it Circut city, best buys, staples, office depo., compusa, You will need to give them your make and model pc also bring any documtation you have for the pc which should list the type of memory you can use.

It goes inside the pc--- follow all the instructions in the package. It just snaps in a socket on the mother board.    

Tennessee
                      United States
                      Member #7853
                      October 15, 2004
                      11338 Posts
                      Posted: June 29, 2006, 4:46 am - IP Logged

thanks!!

New Mexico
                        United States
                        Member #12305
                        March 10, 2005
                        2984 Posts
                        Posted: June 29, 2006, 9:49 am - IP Logged

LottoMike, congratulations!

I'm hoping you won't brag too much about how great the new service is. 

Until something happens I'm gonna be stuck with the dial-up for a while and I don't want to be moping about it.

Leonard Cohen:

The ponies run, the girls are young

The odds are there to beat.

You win a while and then it ends

Your little winning streak.

And summoned now to deal

With your invincible defeat

You live your life as if it's real

A thousand kisses deep.

I'm turning tricks, I'm getting fixed.

I'm back on Boogie Street.

You lose your grip and then you slip

Into the masterpiece.

And maybe I had miles to drive

And promises to keep.

You kick it all to stay alive

A thousand kisses deep.

And sometimes when the night is slow

The wretched and the meek

We gather up our hearts and go

A thousand kisses deep.

Sounds as though you've got it whupped, Boogie Street.  Now all you gotta do is win the TN Pick 5, which is likely the easy part.

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

Tennessee
                          United States
                          Member #7853
                          October 15, 2004
                          11338 Posts
                          Posted: June 29, 2006, 3:46 pm - IP Logged

my tools should be here sometime next week.just got the phone call.....

NY
                            United States
                            Member #23835
                            October 16, 2005
                            3502 Posts
                            Posted: June 30, 2006, 4:53 pm - IP Logged

What kind of stuff do you want to be able to do on the computer? I just got a new machine a couple of weeks ago and it opened a few doors, but the old machine (7 years old, with an AMD K6-2 400, 256 MB RAM and a 16MB video card) could handle most of the things I wanted to do. Games and image/video manipulation are the only demanding things that most people do. Unless those are things you want to do (or are trying to do already), your machine will probably be fine until parts of it stop working or your hard drive is full (and you've already gotten rid of the crap you don't actually need on it).

New Mexico
                              United States
                              Member #12305
                              March 10, 2005
                              2984 Posts
                              Posted: July 1, 2006, 12:00 am - IP Logged

Hope it works out for you LottoMike

J

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser