Welcome Guest
You last visited October 21, 2017, 10:10 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Internet Addiction or General Use?

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 11 years ago by LottoChica23.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

How long can you stay off of the Internet without getting anxious? How does it affect your life?

Less than an hour [ 2 ]  [5.00%]
More than an hour or 2 [ 9 ]  [22.50%]
I can skip a whole day without thinking of it [ 8 ]  [20.00%]
Sometimes I don't sign on for 3 or 4 days [ 1 ]  [2.50%]
I'm happy checking emails once a week [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
2-3 times a month I check email, LP & other sites [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Once a month is enough for me to get online [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
I would be happy if I never saw a computer again! [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
The Internet's like oyxgen. Can't live without it! [ 17 ]  [42.50%]
What's internet? Thought this was a just a dream. [ 3 ]  [7.50%]
Total Valid Votes [ 40 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
JAP69's avatar - alas
South Carolina
United States
Member #6
November 4, 2001
8804 Posts
Posted: June 29, 2006, 6:03 pm - IP Logged

Before I got a computer lottery work was done by pencil and paper.

After getting computer all my work sheets were put on notepad.

Then came lottery software which needs a computer.

Then you need to find draw results which are quickly available on the net.

Other than lottery I get my national news from my homepage. I do not buy newspapers.

Other than that I do not need a computer.

So it looks like I need a computer.

Consider the internet when there was none. People were addicted to tv. daily newspapers , Radio, Trips to the library.

The internet has taken the place of many things that were needed before computers. 

If it could learn how to cook, sew,mow the lawn, Fix the car, clean house and do dishes it would be great.

Oo'Ka

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: June 29, 2006, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

The band "Sweet" wrote "Love is like oxygen", not ELO........

Not a big deal, I just thought you might want to know.

I voted a whole day without the net. Even though that hasn't happened in a long time...LOL

No - it is a big deal to me. I should have known that and I don't mind gentle criticism or being corrected at all. Thanks, Pac!  Maybe I should have Googled it before posting. At least you know I'm not "cheating" by looking up the lyrics (if they're correct) 

Live & learn. I remember about 10 years ago I got into a debate about Woodstock. Since I was there in 1969 I said I was 100% positive it was Aug 8,9, 10 and the other person said it was Aug 15, 16 17. So that's another time I was wrong.

The third time I was wrong was when I thought I made a mistake, but found out I didn't! (does that make me wrong or right?)  Wink

lottaloot's avatar - AvatarZ56
      Redford/MI
      United States
      Member #3396
      January 18, 2004
      4867 Posts
      Posted: June 29, 2006, 6:29 pm - IP Logged

Unfortunately for me, the internet is like Oxygen; though I have gotten better. 

Sometimes I can make it thru 1/2 my 12 hr shift without getting on. 

Good thing, I'm an ICU nurse.  Only have to do some work once every hr unless they're crashing  Big Grin

L ttaL   T

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: June 29, 2006, 6:34 pm - IP Logged

Unfortunately for me, the internet is like Oxygen; though I have gotten better. 

Sometimes I can make it thru 1/2 my 12 hr shift without getting on. 

Good thing, I'm an ICU nurse.  Only have to do some work once every hr unless they're crashing  Big Grin

Important job, Lotta.  12 hours is a long day at work, no matter how much you have to do.

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
          Washington State
          United States
          Member #33973
          February 26, 2006
          349 Posts
          Posted: June 29, 2006, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

The Internet is like oxygen!  The cat hair is thick on the carpet since I haven't vacuumed, my shrub and flower borders need to be weeded and watered, I have a stack of mail about five inches high on my desk that I haven't gone through, my bank statements haven't been balanced in three months, my pickup hasn't been waxed in about five years and the house windows are so dirty I can hardly see through them.  So what am I doing?  I'm back on the Internet again.  I'm B - A - D !

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
            Charlotte NC
            United States
            Member #17406
            June 18, 2005
            4066 Posts
            Posted: June 29, 2006, 8:26 pm - IP Logged

I voted "The Internet is like oxygen." Can't live without it!

During the family Christmas Party, my daughter hide her laptop from me.  But I made her give it up.  I had to check the results, however I do have a life outside of the computer.  I've had a computer in my home since early 80s, when there were 5 1/4 inch floppies and no Windows and you went for directory to directory in DOS by typing in CD /name of the directory and Basica to run programs. You had to copy by using DOS commands like Copy A:*.* B:. 

I played games like Flight Simulator, Police Quest, The Black Cauldron, and my absoulute favorite Leisure Suit Larry and the Land of the Lounge Lizards.  (kind of adult rated lol) I cut my teeth on a Compaq Deskpro 286.

I've got behind of the lastest computer stuff, it changes so quickly but right now I am learning HTML and the graphics software Paint Shop 7.

takeemtothebank

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
              FEMA Region V Camp #21
              United States
              Member #520
              July 27, 2002
              5699 Posts
              Posted: June 29, 2006, 8:56 pm - IP Logged

Yenaj, lol...I cut my teeth circa 1982 on a Timex computer with 2K hard drive and 64 bytes of RAM. The ISP's in those days were SOURCE and Prodigy....and I was actually able to program some things in BASIC. Had a modem and simple printer....those were the good old days when I could understand it. Now I can't figure out how to set up a printer.

But I gotta say, I won more money using that computer to figure my numbers than I've won using this one.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                Charlotte NC
                United States
                Member #17406
                June 18, 2005
                4066 Posts
                Posted: June 29, 2006, 9:12 pm - IP Logged

Yenaj, lol...I cut my teeth circa 1982 on a Timex computer with 2K hard drive and 64 bytes of RAM. The ISP's in those days were SOURCE and Prodigy....and I was actually able to program some things in BASIC. Had a modem and simple printer....those were the good old days when I could understand it. Now I can't figure out how to set up a printer.

But I gotta say, I won more money using that computer to figure my numbers than I've won using this one.

Yes NodThe printers were dot matrix then weren't they?  I"ve never heard of a Timex computer.What? I did a little basic (in class and barely passed, LOL) They didn't like women in the classes.  They could get away with it then.  Now it's Visual Basic, Basic made easy, still running in the background of some programs.    In fact Windows is DOS with pictures.lol  I just recently learned to use FTP to drag and drop files from browser to browser rather than uploading to the website.

I didn't play the lottery then.  I didn't starting playing until 1995.

takeemtothebank

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10537 Posts
                  Posted: June 29, 2006, 10:14 pm - IP Logged

Every disconnect is like a divorce.

Eek 

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
                    Michigan
                    United States
                    Member #22395
                    September 24, 2005
                    1583 Posts
                    Posted: June 29, 2006, 10:29 pm - IP Logged

Rick, you must have gone deluxe!  I never went up to THAT much RAM!  I still have my Timex with 14K/16K ? module somewhere.  Still have some Timex tapes with games.  Never did go online until DOS and Lynx around 1995.

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
                      FEMA Region V Camp #21
                      United States
                      Member #520
                      July 27, 2002
                      5699 Posts
                      Posted: June 30, 2006, 12:59 am - IP Logged

Truecritic,

I could be wrong on the RAM, it was a long time ago. But I loved that little box. That's gotta be a collector's item now. It would be cool to show my kids how computers started out. They'd freak...they can't stand the one we have now. This would show them "the mile we walked to school".

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                        Member #14
                        November 9, 2001
                        31615 Posts
                        Posted: June 30, 2006, 1:16 am - IP Logged

The Internet is like oxygen!  The cat hair is thick on the carpet since I haven't vacuumed, my shrub and flower borders need to be weeded and watered, I have a stack of mail about five inches high on my desk that I haven't gone through, my bank statements haven't been balanced in three months, my pickup hasn't been waxed in about five years and the house windows are so dirty I can hardly see through them.  So what am I doing?  I'm back on the Internet again.  I'm B - A - D !

ROTFL  sounds like my house

love to nibble those micey feet.

LottoChica23's avatar - Aquarius
                          Fughedaboutit (NY)
                          United States
                          Member #8160
                          October 26, 2004
                          6777 Posts
                          Posted: June 30, 2006, 11:23 am - IP Logged

I voted "The Internet's like oyxgen. Can't live without it!". 

I've been into computers since I took a computer math class back in the late 70's. From there, I purchased an Atari 400 with 16k of memory. It couldn't handle the first program that I wrote for it so we used it to play video games. From there I graduated to a Commodore 64 with a lightning fast 300 baud modem and became a Q-Link member (AOL before it grew up). I frequented many local private bulletin board systems run by computer enthusiasts where the computer sat on a corner of their kitchen table. It was surely a man's world but I had a lot of fun by meeting a lot of nice people by attending swap meets and other gatherings. Smiley

When I out-grew the C-64 I took a step up to the Commodore Amiga w/128k RAM complete with audio tape drive (how exciting).  When the IBM clones became available, I got a 286 and have been upgrading since!!! I have finally set up a wireless network for my desktop and 2 laptops which I find to be so convenient which is why the Internet is like Oxygen in my household.

Thinking of... 

Wow, that was a walk down memory lane... 

Matrix Chart Instructions--> http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/191818 

check out mysticwomyn Announcers --> http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/140695/673306

You can judge the integrity of a man by the way he treats those that can do nothing for him...Thumbs Up