Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 2:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

(Poll) Converting numbers from the web to Excel

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Rip Snorter.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Is this the way you do it?

I ain't saying [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Yes [ 4 ]  [36.36%]
No [ 5 ]  [45.45%]
The question doesn't make sense [ 2 ]  [18.18%]
Total Valid Votes [ 11 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19901 Posts
Posted: July 9, 2006, 11:08 pm - IP Logged

Man, am I that far behind the times!?  All ya'll go using computer programs, cutting and pasting, unicoding it here and there.  Ya'll got me beat 9 ways from Sunday.  I use my fingers and type the numbers into Excel.

GASMETERGUY,

Everyone does what is easiest for them.  The more you do,the more you look for an easier way to do it.  The other day I wanted to try my hand as picking numbers for the West Virgina Cash25 and when I went to their website I found 1359 records going back to 01/03/2000, there was no way I was going to re-type a file that size by hand when a minute to find, replace and save would do the same thing. Since all the lottery websites I've visited have data in a text file, it's something handy to know how to do and it has been around since MS DOS first started long before Windows came along. 

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Pogo's avatar - wfl
    NC
    United States
    Member #29378
    January 1, 2006
    552 Posts
    Posted: July 10, 2006, 10:47 pm - IP Logged

Here's my method step-by-step, if you'd like to give it a shot:

-Highlight data, copy data, paste data into notepad & save it

-Open Excel, Choose "Data" menu, Choose "Get External Data", Choose "Import Text File", find & double click on any type of *.txt or *.doc file, choose "Next", put check marks in all "Delimiter" options & add ":" as the "other" option, choose "Finish", choose "OK"

You're done importing any format the numbers might appear in.

Just FYI & It will save you from buying software, although that software looks pretty sweet!

L8r M8's - Pogo

New Mexico
      United States
      Member #12305
      March 10, 2005
      2984 Posts
      Posted: July 10, 2006, 11:14 pm - IP Logged

Here's my method step-by-step, if you'd like to give it a shot:

-Highlight data, copy data, paste data into notepad & save it

-Open Excel, Choose "Data" menu, Choose "Get External Data", Choose "Import Text File", find & double click on any type of *.txt or *.doc file, choose "Next", put check marks in all "Delimiter" options & add ":" as the "other" option, choose "Finish", choose "OK"

You're done importing any format the numbers might appear in.

Just FYI & It will save you from buying software, although that software looks pretty sweet!

L8r M8's - Pogo

Thanks Pogo.

I'm feeling some trepidation how I'm going to be able to get loose from this Ultra-Edit-32 thing when the trial marriage is over.  It's cutting the time down so far sorting and arranging I had to go try to dob some tar on the holes in the roof and fix the hole in the screen door the cats put there.  Fidgety from having no numbers stuff left to do and having time on my hands.

If this software could predict a lottery win big enough to pay its own room and board I'd stay married to it.  I wouldn't even make it wash my clothses, dishes, cook my meals, fetch the groceries, patch the roof fix the screen door.

But it ain't a predictor and my time ain't worth much

Gracias,

J

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser