Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 9:19 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Emoticons

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 10 years ago by justxploring.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Which of these says the most about the LP member who uses it?

The hurl [ 3 ]  [12.50%]
The hammer [ 7 ]  [29.17%]
The stick [ 4 ]  [16.67%]
The stupid [ 9 ]  [37.50%]
The dupe [ 1 ]  [4.17%]
Total Valid Votes [ 24 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 13 ]  
New Mexico
United States
Member #12305
March 10, 2005
2984 Posts
Posted: July 22, 2006, 1:42 pm - IP Logged

I believe emoticons tell a lot about the person who uses them to respond to threads and posts

My thought is they are a measure of courage, intelligence, positivity, imagination and command of the English language.

PukeBashBSHit With StickAgree with stupidDupe Alert

What do you think?

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

New Mexico
    United States
    Member #12305
    March 10, 2005
    2984 Posts
    Posted: July 22, 2006, 7:01 pm - IP Logged

I believe emoticons tell a lot about the person who uses them to respond to threads and posts

My thought is they are a measure of courage, intelligence, positivity, imagination and command of the English language.

PukeBashBSHit With StickAgree with stupidDupe Alert

What do you think?

I discarded my own vote so's to be able to see the results without expressing a preference for any of them. 

However, It's good to see there's one person already who wasn't ashamed to admit (anonymously [see courage, above]) what that preference says about him/her. 

Run ya about as you'd figure.

J

Egos don't count.

United States
      Member #17555
      June 22, 2005
      5582 Posts
      Posted: July 22, 2006, 7:17 pm - IP Logged

I discarded my own vote so's to be able to see the results without expressing a preference for any of them. 

However, It's good to see there's one person already who wasn't ashamed to admit (anonymously [see courage, above]) what that preference says about him/her. 

Run ya about as you'd figure.

J

I'm not discarding my vote, I'm shredding it....LOL

No really....

I've filed it under "V" for vote.....LOL

New Mexico
        United States
        Member #12305
        March 10, 2005
        2984 Posts
        Posted: July 22, 2006, 7:37 pm - IP Logged

I'm not discarding my vote, I'm shredding it....LOL

No really....

I've filed it under "V" for vote.....LOL

I tips my hat to you pac.

J

Egos don't count.

United States
          Member #17555
          June 22, 2005
          5582 Posts
          Posted: July 22, 2006, 7:45 pm - IP Logged

I tips my hat to you pac.

J

I'm not worthy......

Don't ya see.....?????

LOL..

New Mexico
            United States
            Member #12305
            March 10, 2005
            2984 Posts
            Posted: July 22, 2006, 8:03 pm - IP Logged

I'm not worthy......

Don't ya see.....?????

LOL..

Yeah, I do.

But you fit right in with the other voters and you're the only one who's admitting to anything.  Courage counts for a lot whatever else might be missing.

Jack

Egos don't count.

United States
              Member #17555
              June 22, 2005
              5582 Posts
              Posted: July 22, 2006, 8:40 pm - IP Logged

Thanx Purcell.....LOL

I can't help it. The truth will set you free.....

New Mexico
                United States
                Member #12305
                March 10, 2005
                2984 Posts
                Posted: July 22, 2006, 8:49 pm - IP Logged

Thanx Purcell.....LOL

I certainly carry that hope. 

It's managed to do it enough times in the past to keep me trusting in it.

And the Powerball draw's only a couple of hours away.

Good luck on the pick 3 system you're working on. 

Jack

Egos don't count.

New Mexico
                  United States
                  Member #12305
                  March 10, 2005
                  2984 Posts
                  Posted: July 22, 2006, 8:49 pm - IP Logged

Thanx Purcell.....LOL

I certainly carry that hope. 

It's managed to do it enough times in the past to keep me trusting in it.

And the Powerball draw's only a couple of hours away.

Good luck on the pick 3 system you're working on. 

Jack

Egos don't count.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                    Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: August 21, 2006, 2:04 pm - IP Logged

I don't know how this topic got back on the home page but, since I just saw it, I decided to answer you.  The first time, I skipped it because I didn't have a reasonable reply. I still don't, but that doesn't usually stop others from posting on the board, so why be shy?

Some emoticons to me say "I'm not totally serious about this post, so don't be angry." They are more colorful versions of the plain text  :)  used to communicate a funny, inoffensive or innocuous remark. I've found that, by simply adding an emoticon to a post or email, the reader often has a different reaction.

Emoticons are also tools for those of us who aren't computer savvy and want to "fit in" by animating posts to join the growing cyberworld of geeks. It's a way of saying "look what I can do!" even though it takes little effort. It's like reinforcing a child's self-esteem when he points and says "doggy." Sometimes bigger, more unique emoticons show that the child has advanced to the heuristic level of discovery.

On the other hand, emoticons take an extra few seconds (more with dialup) to post, so one or many on a post could also mean "I have extra time on my hands and nothing more to say." Proper selection is critical. For example, saying "Happy Birthday" and sending "the hurl" shows little thought was put into your greeting.

That being said, many people don't use words to express their thoughts and feelings in the real world. They use facial expressions, hand & body movement a lot and aren't often long-winded. An emoticon is a way for these people to acknowledge a post without composing a sentence. 

Regarding which emoticon has the greatest effect - since they are all "cutesy" it is difficult to rate each one.  I think most emoticons are harmless graphics and, at this point, see no reason to suspect terrorist activity using a lottery forum, although they might be used for covert operations.

Example: PukeThis would be to express dislike of Americans.    Conehead could represent American Intelligence. Smash  This could be sending orders to knock out all communications.  Banana This one speaks for itself.ThudA Hezbollah bomber dropping to his knees in thankful prayer.

Stooges Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld brainstorming another anti-terrorist strategy (like looking for WMD)

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
                      FEMA Region V Camp #21
                      United States
                      Member #520
                      July 27, 2002
                      5699 Posts
                      Posted: August 21, 2006, 2:34 pm - IP Logged

I don't know how this topic got back on the home page but, since I just saw it, I decided to answer you.  The first time, I skipped it because I didn't have a reasonable reply. I still don't, but that doesn't usually stop others from posting on the board, so why be shy?

Some emoticons to me say "I'm not totally serious about this post, so don't be angry." They are more colorful versions of the plain text  :)  used to communicate a funny, inoffensive or innocuous remark. I've found that, by simply adding an emoticon to a post or email, the reader often has a different reaction.

Emoticons are also tools for those of us who aren't computer savvy and want to "fit in" by animating posts to join the growing cyberworld of geeks. It's a way of saying "look what I can do!" even though it takes little effort. It's like reinforcing a child's self-esteem when he points and says "doggy." Sometimes bigger, more unique emoticons show that the child has advanced to the heuristic level of discovery.

On the other hand, emoticons take an extra few seconds (more with dialup) to post, so one or many on a post could also mean "I have extra time on my hands and nothing more to say." Proper selection is critical. For example, saying "Happy Birthday" and sending "the hurl" shows little thought was put into your greeting.

That being said, many people don't use words to express their thoughts and feelings in the real world. They use facial expressions, hand & body movement a lot and aren't often long-winded. An emoticon is a way for these people to acknowledge a post without composing a sentence. 

Regarding which emoticon has the greatest effect - since they are all "cutesy" it is difficult to rate each one.  I think most emoticons are harmless graphics and, at this point, see no reason to suspect terrorist activity using a lottery forum, although they might be used for covert operations.

Example: PukeThis would be to express dislike of Americans.    Conehead could represent American Intelligence. Smash  This could be sending orders to knock out all communications.  Banana This one speaks for itself.ThudA Hezbollah bomber dropping to his knees in thankful prayer.

Stooges Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld brainstorming another anti-terrorist strategy (like looking for WMD)

Nancy, that was hysterical! 

You've just introduced a whole new level of communication.  This reminds me of the old Highlights magazine.  They always had a story interspersed with little pictures. 

You can be in charge of developing the dictionary.  Are there any doggie emoticons available?  We won't be able to talk about the chihuahua racing project without it.  What?  Evil Looking

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                        Member #14
                        November 9, 2001
                        31349 Posts
                        Posted: August 21, 2006, 3:02 pm - IP Logged

Nancy, that was hysterical! 

You've just introduced a whole new level of communication.  This reminds me of the old Highlights magazine.  They always had a story interspersed with little pictures. 

You can be in charge of developing the dictionary.  Are there any doggie emoticons available?  We won't be able to talk about the chihuahua racing project without it.  What?  Evil Looking

Nancy - very funny!!!!

ROFL

rick -      Roll Over    no chihuahua

emoticons are great - lighten up jack.

love to nibble those micey feet.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                          Chief Bottle Washer
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #1
                          May 31, 2000
                          23262 Posts
                          Posted: August 21, 2006, 3:03 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, one more:  Hillary Clinton running for president Scared

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                            Chief Bottle Washer
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #1
                            May 31, 2000
                            23262 Posts
                            Posted: August 21, 2006, 3:06 pm - IP Logged

By the way, for those who did not realize it, "Dupe" with the spinning alert hat means "DUPLICATE POST", not some kind of insult.  Someone receiving a "Dupe" Dupe Alert should have researched their topic on the Search page before posting.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                            What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                            Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
                              FEMA Region V Camp #21
                              United States
                              Member #520
                              July 27, 2002
                              5699 Posts
                              Posted: August 21, 2006, 3:07 pm - IP Logged

I'm  Dead today.  Couldn't Bed last night and woke up Puke.  Maybe it was too much Cheers  last night and my neighbor's Party.  Their  Razz woke up Crying and all they did was No No the little child.  The Sun Smiley was shining brightly in my window.  Then I heard  Bang Head  and  Argue .  I thought they were going to Poke each other so I put on my  Cool  and went next door.

I said, "Can't  Group Hug  just  Love  ?" 

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).