Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 8:59 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Emoticons

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 10 years ago by justxploring.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Which of these says the most about the LP member who uses it?

The hurl [ 3 ]  [12.50%]
The hammer [ 7 ]  [29.17%]
The stick [ 4 ]  [16.67%]
The stupid [ 9 ]  [37.50%]
The dupe [ 1 ]  [4.17%]
Total Valid Votes [ 24 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 13 ]  
emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
Member #14
November 9, 2001
31354 Posts
Posted: August 21, 2006, 3:13 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, one more:  Hillary Clinton running for president Scared

todd - being it's your birthday - i won't tell you that i got my first Hillary for Prez button

Big Hug 

love to nibble those micey feet.

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
    FEMA Region V Camp #21
    United States
    Member #520
    July 27, 2002
    5699 Posts
    Posted: August 21, 2006, 3:19 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, one more:  Hillary Clinton running for president Scared

Todd, I think she's doing it just to get even with Bill.  She's got her eye on a White House chauffeur and the Lincoln bedroom.

BTW, Happy Birthday!  Have a great one. 

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23267 Posts
      Posted: August 21, 2006, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

todd - being it's your birthday - i won't tell you that i got my first Hillary for Prez button

Big Hug 

No Nod  Say it ain't so!

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: August 21, 2006, 3:37 pm - IP Logged

Great story, Rick.  Hope they were  Embarassed and apologized and didn't just call you a Turkey .

Lkydeb*594's avatar - yummyxmascat
          Luv Vtracs 8-)

United States
          Member #38062
          April 23, 2006
          12582 Posts
          Posted: August 22, 2006, 2:04 am - IP Logged

I'm  Dead today.  Couldn't Bed last night and woke up Puke.  Maybe it was too much Cheers  last night and my neighbor's Party.  Their  Razz woke up Crying and all they did was No No the little child.  The Sun Smiley was shining brightly in my window.  Then I heard  Bang Head  and  Argue .  I thought they were going to Poke each other so I put on my  Cool  and went next door.

I said, "Can't  Group Hug  just  Love  ?" 

u used a great story that most people live  with by using the emoticons.  I needed  a good laugh.  Thank You!

FEMA Region V Camp #21
            United States
            Member #520
            July 27, 2002
            5699 Posts
            Posted: August 23, 2006, 1:16 pm - IP Logged

I didn't vote in this poll until today because none of the emoticons really bothered me.  Today I read "Doominator's" first post on LP and on it he was attacking me with his little stick.

My reaction is rage.  But Doom-boy's over in Tonga and I can't take my wrath out on him.

So I voted for the stick.  It's not the emoticon per se, but the way the emoticon is used and who is using it.

I am not laughing right now.  Mad

New Mexico
              United States
              Member #12305
              March 10, 2005
              2984 Posts
              Posted: August 24, 2006, 7:18 pm - IP Logged

I didn't vote in this poll until today because none of the emoticons really bothered me.  Today I read "Doominator's" first post on LP and on it he was attacking me with his little stick.

My reaction is rage.  But Doom-boy's over in Tonga and I can't take my wrath out on him.

So I voted for the stick.  It's not the emoticon per se, but the way the emoticon is used and who is using it.

I am not laughing right now.  Mad

Hi Rick.

I'd forgotten I started this thread.  Interesting to see it pop up again.

I'm not bothered by emoticons, wasn't bothered by them when I started the thread.  I do, however, feel as I felt then about them.

I believe the use of negative emoticons is a statement about the person who uses them.  The ones I listed in the poll serve as a means of for a person to attempt to sling an insult at another member without coming out and doing so in words. 

Eighteen people voted here, which seems to me to say a lot of positive things about the other 14,000, or so, who didn't.

As for your recent experience on the Lottery Systems Forum, I've said it on your blog as a comment. 

I believe the person who attacked you wasn't from Tonga and wasn't a Noob with only four posts.  Instead of using an inane imoticon to attack you, I believe the person used an alternate ID, which is the next step in cowardice beyond negative emoticons.

Hang in there, Chum.

J

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: August 24, 2006, 7:37 pm - IP Logged

"Today I read "Doominator's" first post on LP and on it he was attacking me with his little stick."

Hey, if all he's got is a little stick, no wonder he's in a bad mood! 

I guess the new cybermoms are going to have to change the old adage for their kids to "sticks and stones might break my bones but emoticons will never hurt me."

New Mexico
                  United States
                  Member #12305
                  March 10, 2005
                  2984 Posts
                  Posted: August 24, 2006, 8:28 pm - IP Logged

"Today I read "Doominator's" first post on LP and on it he was attacking me with his little stick."

Hey, if all he's got is a little stick, no wonder he's in a bad mood! 

I guess the new cybermoms are going to have to change the old adage for their kids to "sticks and stones might break my bones but emoticons will never hurt me."

Nice thought justx. 

I doubt the cyberkids would learn more from it than they did when it said 'words' won't, but it can't hurt to try.

On the other hand, a shrewd mom might tell her kids, "Kids, give some thought to whether you want to tell something ugly about yourself.  Something you'd not care to tell and wouldn't admit to in words.

"By using emoticons, my little ones, you can tell people what's really inside you.  Tell them what sort of person you are.  Think about that."

Likely they wouldn't understand, though, and they'd do what kids do best.  Imitating adults.

J

Egos don't count.

Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: August 25, 2006, 2:09 am - IP Logged

Jack, I do see your point - to a point! Smile

Oops, there's one of those silly emoticons.  Sorry!  Frown

I admit that I enjoy using emoticons once in a while, so I'm not sure they show lack of verbal communication, since I don't have too much trouble saying what's on my mind!  I would never use one on business correspondence, but wouldn't that make the news a lot easier to read?  After all the depressing stories about war, murder, natural disasters and global warming, you'd turn to the weather page and see: 

Sat & Sun will be Sun Smiley.  So you can Danceall weekend.  If you  Cheers , don't forget to buckle up and drive safely. Better yet, be an Blue Angel and appoint a designated driver. 

Even a cloudy day would be okay.  In fact, I really like the weather reports on sites like Wunderground.com.  Somehow showing an anthropomorphic cloud blowing wind makes a tropical storm less depressing (pun intended) although I like the partly cloudy smiley clouds and that smirking quarter moon.

I mean, wouldn't it be nice to see a meteorologist do thisScared  after announcing another storm is heading to FL?

I think you're over-analyzing. In most cases, I don't think an emoticon tells you anything more about a person than he simply likes colorful and animated posts or is trying to have fun.

New Mexico
                      United States
                      Member #12305
                      March 10, 2005
                      2984 Posts
                      Posted: August 25, 2006, 2:56 pm - IP Logged

Jack, I do see your point - to a point! Smile

Oops, there's one of those silly emoticons.  Sorry!  Frown

I admit that I enjoy using emoticons once in a while, so I'm not sure they show lack of verbal communication, since I don't have too much trouble saying what's on my mind!  I would never use one on business correspondence, but wouldn't that make the news a lot easier to read?  After all the depressing stories about war, murder, natural disasters and global warming, you'd turn to the weather page and see: 

Sat & Sun will be Sun Smiley.  So you can Danceall weekend.  If you  Cheers , don't forget to buckle up and drive safely. Better yet, be an Blue Angel and appoint a designated driver. 

Even a cloudy day would be okay.  In fact, I really like the weather reports on sites like Wunderground.com.  Somehow showing an anthropomorphic cloud blowing wind makes a tropical storm less depressing (pun intended) although I like the partly cloudy smiley clouds and that smirking quarter moon.

I mean, wouldn't it be nice to see a meteorologist do thisScared  after announcing another storm is heading to FL?

I think you're over-analyzing. In most cases, I don't think an emoticon tells you anything more about a person than he simply likes colorful and animated posts or is trying to have fun.

I think you're over-analyzing.

Justx:

Maybe.  Although those weren't the imoticons I was referring to in the thread.  I frankly agree with you that the ones you posted say nothing much about the person who uses them.

It's the,

• "you make me want to barf"
                      • "you make me want to pour water on your head"
                      • (I think) "you are stupid"
                      • "I'd like to put you into a garbage can"

ones I had in mind when I began the thread.  And I began it as a means of responding to a lot of attempted flak I was getting in the form of those emoticons I mentioned in responsed to me, various posts I was making, et al.

From my point of view the use of such methods is a testimony as to the value of the opinion of the person who uses them, a statement of the motivation to insult, an attempt at an ad hominem personal attack and all that implies about the people who use them.

I don't mind making such people want to barf.  I don't believe there's any danger of any of them actually attempting to dump water on my head, nor to throw me in the garbage.  I'd be both surprised and distressed if they didn't believe I was stupid.

But that's just me. 

Jack

Egos don't count.

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                        Charlotte NC
                        United States
                        Member #17406
                        June 18, 2005
                        4053 Posts
                        Posted: August 25, 2006, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

Lurking

takeemtothebank

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                          Chief Bottle Washer
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #1
                          May 31, 2000
                          23267 Posts
                          Posted: August 25, 2006, 3:16 pm - IP Logged

Thud

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                            Charlotte NC
                            United States
                            Member #17406
                            June 18, 2005
                            4053 Posts
                            Posted: August 25, 2006, 3:29 pm - IP Logged

LOL

takeemtothebank

FEMA Region V Camp #21
                              United States
                              Member #520
                              July 27, 2002
                              5699 Posts
                              Posted: August 25, 2006, 3:58 pm - IP Logged

When I was in kindergarten, stories were told solely with pictures because we couldn't read or write.  Then they taught us how to read and write in later grades.  We didn't need the picture books anymore because we could communicate much more effectively with the written word.

I'm glad I received this valuable education.  I couldn't afford the moving vans to transport the books needed to understand something with pictures as opposed to words.