Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 9:37 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Promoting more lottery play

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 10 years ago by ayenowitall.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

What can best draw more players and increase lottery sales?

Bigger prizes [ 7 ]  [31.82%]
More total prizes [ 1 ]  [4.55%]
Lower ticket prices [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Games that are easier to win [ 10 ]  [45.45%]
Lower vigs and taxes on payouts [ 3 ]  [13.64%]
New and innovative games [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Better advertising by lotteries [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
More ticket sales outlets [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Better systems and strategies by players [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Lower gasoline prices [ 1 ]  [4.55%]
Total Valid Votes [ 22 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
Member #2338
September 17, 2003
2063 Posts
Posted: July 24, 2006, 4:59 pm - IP Logged

Lotteries have different audiences. Scratch tickets. Pick 3/4. Smaller local games and lastly the big jackpots. Pick 3/4 is pretty stable and adding internet sales would be the best way to maximize profits.

For scratch tickets you have to be more creative on the prizes. Local games would be the hardest since most states can't really offer great prizes. The game shouldn't approach the big games in terms of odds though.

For big games it's all about the jackpot. Perpetually low jackpots equals poor sales like what MM is getting now. If the game isn't getting at least one good run per year it has to be modified to try to make that happen. A good run having a prize over $100M post tax cash.

Of course they could make prizes tax-free but that would involve common sense on the part of politicians which is very unrealistic.

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
    Member #9517
    December 10, 2004
    1281 Posts
    Posted: July 24, 2006, 7:56 pm - IP Logged

Higher prizes for 4th and 5th divisions is necessary. The first division prizes are so high already that it doesn't matter if the pot is reduced a little. Simply speaking, the 1st division pot should be reduced and 4th and 5th division pot should be increased.

It's the smaller divisions that people win all the time and if the prizes on these levels was higher it would be more fun for the average player.

ayenowitall's avatar - rod serling4.jpg

United States
      Member #4416
      April 22, 2004
      1075 Posts
      Posted: July 24, 2006, 10:07 pm - IP Logged

Much thanks to Todd for being so responsive in getting the poll choices to load so we can vote.

aye'

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: July 25, 2006, 8:35 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!    Well stated.  If folks are winning, they are playing more frequently and spending more $$$$.  It's a win/win for everyone ... keeps the $$$$ flowing.

I Agree!I agree with the agreement! LOL  I realize the states want to make money, but after a while I think many people give up. Only the crazy people (like yours truly) keep hoping their ships will come in.  I don't mind if when mine does, it's only a dinghy. I just don't want to get to the point where someone has to float me a loan.

(sorry for the pun-ishment, folks)Crazy

Coastal Georgia
          United States
          Member #2653
          October 30, 2003
          1866 Posts
          Posted: July 25, 2006, 9:13 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!I agree with the agreement! LOL  I realize the states want to make money, but after a while I think many people give up. Only the crazy people (like yours truly) keep hoping their ships will come in.  I don't mind if when mine does, it's only a dinghy. I just don't want to get to the point where someone has to float me a loan.

(sorry for the pun-ishment, folks)Crazy

Hey JXP, I hear ya !!

when my ship comes in, I will probably be somewhere in the mountains...

up the proverbial creek...as they say.

cryin me a river.....

oh well...whatever floats yer boat !!

guess I'd better ship on out.... 

....DD

ayenowitall's avatar - rod serling4.jpg

United States
            Member #4416
            April 22, 2004
            1075 Posts
            Posted: July 26, 2006, 10:12 pm - IP Logged

There are some folks who don't and won't play the lottery games because they see them as a waste of money. I don't think there's much of anything that can be done to draw them into playing.

I voted for bigger prizes because that's what usually draws out more players and more money. When a jackpot gets big enough to get major news coverage, it gets people's attention and they come out to play for the big money. Also, a lot of pools start to form when the pots get large.

I think the best shot of winning new players over to lottery games is to offer new and innovative games. One approach might be to link lottery games to other events such as major horse races or NASCAR. I know of several efforts of this sort in the past by various lotteries, but I'm not so sure of just how successful they were. Anything that can reach out to people of other interests certainly is worth consideration though.

aye'