Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What would you buy with $100 mil$

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 10 years ago by mangeydog.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Cookeville/Lavergne TN
United States
Member #43688
July 23, 2006
3 Posts
Posted: July 23, 2006, 5:55 pm - IP Logged

I know some of you have to sit around and rattle off your list of things you want to do, buy or build if you were to win the big jackpot. Now I am not talking about 10 mil here but If you were to win $100 mil share what you would do. You might have a cool idea I never thought about. For me... I would have a huge log cabin almost like a castle with tons of secret passages and hidden rooms that would be a truely awesome fun house to live in. It would be centered in a huge, I mean huge tract of land and it would be fenced completely and stocked with more animals than Noah had on his boat. I would have a lake, hiking biking and fourwheeling trails, and a  small golf course. I would build a beautiful barn styled like the horse barns that Triple Crown Horses are housed in and it would house the best collection of cars imaginable. Not that Barett and Jackson crap you can't drive but stuff that I can take to sonic any night of the week I want and have fun. I would have motorcoach that would make Airforce 1 look like a crappy style of travel. I would wear my river sandals and cargo shorts and ugly hawaiian shirts and travel the country. Do you get the theme it would be a life of fun and play enjoying my family and looking forward to life everyday as if it was a long overdo vacation. So what about you... what is your idea life after the jackpot?  

United States
    Member #31636
    February 1, 2006
    256 Posts
    Posted: July 23, 2006, 6:06 pm - IP Logged

I like that plan. Wonder how much that would cost
    and how much you would have left over.

Cookeville/Lavergne TN
      United States
      Member #43688
      July 23, 2006
      3 Posts
      Posted: July 23, 2006, 6:13 pm - IP Logged

A $2mil tract of land, a $1mil house another $1mil in improving the grounds and 2 or 3 mil in toys to enjoy that still leaves a heep left over in my book. I ain't moving to the Hamptons I like it right here in TN just fine.  I am not a for show kinda guy people would drive by my place and have to wonder what was on the other side of that 8ft chainlink and razor wire. They would just get a glimpse of a porsche 911 turbo or a jeep wrangler on 40 inch tires passing thru the automatic gates everynow and then.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10351 Posts
        Posted: July 23, 2006, 7:32 pm - IP Logged

Just me, but I can not comprehend even thinking about winning $100,000,000 and staying somewhere with beastly summers.  

For that kind of score, I'd go somewhere where "Summer" might be July 4th weekend, if at all.

Your plam is kind of asking for it too, hardly keeping a "low profile". In one of the books about what to do when you win a jackpot, the author stated that buying at least $1,000,000 worth of kidnap and ransom insurance would be a good idea.

Why invite it? 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

iowa
          United States
          Member #32899
          February 16, 2006
          46 Posts
          Posted: July 23, 2006, 8:49 pm - IP Logged

I more or less have the same type of idea as you. However I think you need to up the price of the house. As stupid as it sounds a million doesn't buy that much house these days. 3000 acres with a huge 10/20 acre lake/pond, built as to have very clear water, and truck in a couple of tons of white sand for a beach with a beach house and floatig swimming dock. Another stocked pond with walleye, catfish, bass or even salmon. Plant the land with a fruit and nut orchard and also with unique and varied species of trees and flowers. Plants and trees that provide habitat and food for butterflies hummingbirds and indigenous animals. have it seeded with natural prairie grasses and landscaped with low maintenance flowers and flowering trees. Going for the whole garden of eden effect here. Biking and hiking trails with a gazebo rest stop in the remotest and most scenic part of the land. Perhaps locate the land as to have rolling hills and an overlook of a nice valley. Have a nice playground area for my little god-daughter to play in when she visits. A huge fenced in area with a huge doghhouse so my Lab could run safely without me havng to watch him. Probably a tempurpedic mattress for the dog (because he loves mine so much). Solar and wind power with a backup generator system for emergencies and so the estate would be somewhat enviromentally friendly. Perhaps a monolithic concrete dome for disaster resistance and energy efficiency. A couple of guesthouses and/or caretakers quarters. A huge shop for 4-wheelers, John Deere Gators, ultralight and landscape maintenance equipment, a tractor and skid loader etc. A huge detached garage with a shop/lab because I love to tinker. Collector cars like a Porsche 928s, Ferrari Daytona Spyder, Benz 300SL gullwing, a '63 split window Corvette etc. Fun cars like a 911 4S, BMW M6, Porsche Cayenne Turbo S, and a Bentley. The shop would have an unbelievable Gladiator Garagewerks(sp?) setup and every tool imagineable. An underground survival shelter/ batcave, an underground wine cellar/recreational substance vault, with hidden underground tunnels and above ground paver stone paths connecting everything. A large gunite pool with underwater mood lighting, waterfall, hidden gLotto, slide, and underwater stools and seating area. An inground large hot tub, firepit seatin area, huge Viking grill and meat smoker, brick pizza oven, pool house with his and hers bathrooms, his with a kohler urinal, a tiki bar and those carbon monoxide mosquito traps. A huge somewhat open fllor plan house. Great master bedroom suite with his-and-hers cedar lined, walk-in closets, his-and-hers bathrooms with a central two sided fireplace and jacuzzi, tiled walk in shower with multiple shower heads (you know what I'm thinking) and a lighted frosted glass block front side, sauna and steam room, towel warmers with Egyptian or Pima cotton towels. A Calofornia-king sized Tempur-Pedic mattress with the softest, most luxurious sheets you can get.70-inch plasma television, two sided fireplace with a seating area and a large walk out balcony with a water slide down to the pool. A large game room with a 50 foot antique bar with installed Perlick refrigeration and beer taps. Billiards table, cue rack, professional poker table with a clay chip set, nostalgic video game side room, flight simulator, black light air hockey, bubble dome Chexx hockey, skee ball, basketball shooting gallery, sno-cone, cotton candy and popcorn machines, antique candy vending machines filled with the favorite snacks and candies from my generations era. An entrance to a home theatre with Vidikron projector and special effect stadium seating, and a planetarium laser show set-up. A large exercise room with cybex machines and cardio machines, punching bag, pilates machine, sauna and jacuzzi hot tub, tanning machine, massage chair, and photo-therapy machine. A roof-top near-observatory grade Meade telescope. A pneumatic tube elevator, Lutron computer controlled whole house lighting with full-spectrum lighting to prevent seasonal affective disorder. Sky lights, a professional grade kitchen with an induction cooktop, bosch appliances, super steam heat oven, kitchen island and breakfast nook. Clay tennis court, basketball court, baseball/softball field and a probatter ptching machine batting cage set-up. These are just a few thing off the top of my head.

Coastal Georgia
            United States
            Member #2653
            October 30, 2003
            1866 Posts
            Posted: July 23, 2006, 9:34 pm - IP Logged

I more or less have the same type of idea as you. However I think you need to up the price of the house. As stupid as it sounds a million doesn't buy that much house these days. 3000 acres with a huge 10/20 acre lake/pond, built as to have very clear water, and truck in a couple of tons of white sand for a beach with a beach house and floatig swimming dock. Another stocked pond with walleye, catfish, bass or even salmon. Plant the land with a fruit and nut orchard and also with unique and varied species of trees and flowers. Plants and trees that provide habitat and food for butterflies hummingbirds and indigenous animals. have it seeded with natural prairie grasses and landscaped with low maintenance flowers and flowering trees. Going for the whole garden of eden effect here. Biking and hiking trails with a gazebo rest stop in the remotest and most scenic part of the land. Perhaps locate the land as to have rolling hills and an overlook of a nice valley. Have a nice playground area for my little god-daughter to play in when she visits. A huge fenced in area with a huge doghhouse so my Lab could run safely without me havng to watch him. Probably a tempurpedic mattress for the dog (because he loves mine so much). Solar and wind power with a backup generator system for emergencies and so the estate would be somewhat enviromentally friendly. Perhaps a monolithic concrete dome for disaster resistance and energy efficiency. A couple of guesthouses and/or caretakers quarters. A huge shop for 4-wheelers, John Deere Gators, ultralight and landscape maintenance equipment, a tractor and skid loader etc. A huge detached garage with a shop/lab because I love to tinker. Collector cars like a Porsche 928s, Ferrari Daytona Spyder, Benz 300SL gullwing, a '63 split window Corvette etc. Fun cars like a 911 4S, BMW M6, Porsche Cayenne Turbo S, and a Bentley. The shop would have an unbelievable Gladiator Garagewerks(sp?) setup and every tool imagineable. An underground survival shelter/ batcave, an underground wine cellar/recreational substance vault, with hidden underground tunnels and above ground paver stone paths connecting everything. A large gunite pool with underwater mood lighting, waterfall, hidden gLotto, slide, and underwater stools and seating area. An inground large hot tub, firepit seatin area, huge Viking grill and meat smoker, brick pizza oven, pool house with his and hers bathrooms, his with a kohler urinal, a tiki bar and those carbon monoxide mosquito traps. A huge somewhat open fllor plan house. Great master bedroom suite with his-and-hers cedar lined, walk-in closets, his-and-hers bathrooms with a central two sided fireplace and jacuzzi, tiled walk in shower with multiple shower heads (you know what I'm thinking) and a lighted frosted glass block front side, sauna and steam room, towel warmers with Egyptian or Pima cotton towels. A Calofornia-king sized Tempur-Pedic mattress with the softest, most luxurious sheets you can get.70-inch plasma television, two sided fireplace with a seating area and a large walk out balcony with a water slide down to the pool. A large game room with a 50 foot antique bar with installed Perlick refrigeration and beer taps. Billiards table, cue rack, professional poker table with a clay chip set, nostalgic video game side room, flight simulator, black light air hockey, bubble dome Chexx hockey, skee ball, basketball shooting gallery, sno-cone, cotton candy and popcorn machines, antique candy vending machines filled with the favorite snacks and candies from my generations era. An entrance to a home theatre with Vidikron projector and special effect stadium seating, and a planetarium laser show set-up. A large exercise room with cybex machines and cardio machines, punching bag, pilates machine, sauna and jacuzzi hot tub, tanning machine, massage chair, and photo-therapy machine. A roof-top near-observatory grade Meade telescope. A pneumatic tube elevator, Lutron computer controlled whole house lighting with full-spectrum lighting to prevent seasonal affective disorder. Sky lights, a professional grade kitchen with an induction cooktop, bosch appliances, super steam heat oven, kitchen island and breakfast nook. Clay tennis court, basketball court, baseball/softball field and a probatter ptching machine batting cage set-up. These are just a few thing off the top of my head.

MD...........  You didn't forget anything, did you ?  Thud

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
              Member #2338
              September 17, 2003
              2063 Posts
              Posted: July 23, 2006, 10:18 pm - IP Logged

Wow - md did you actually type all that or is it cut and paste?

If you are waiting for 100 million post tax you will  be waiting a long time.

Powerball would have to hit it's cap at 395 million which is very unlikely. Who knows if you can get Euromillions tickets in the future unless you live there and just forget Mega coming even close to $100 post tax if it can't even get there pre tax.

The only thing you should buy is with the interest on the $100 million. Anyone spending the principle is just a financial idiot with a temporary repreave from the poor house. 

iowa
                United States
                Member #32899
                February 16, 2006
                46 Posts
                Posted: July 24, 2006, 10:03 pm - IP Logged

Typed every bit. I actually could have done about three times that but got bored halfway through it. I have worked in the homebuilding business for 15 years and have a lot of time to think all day. A lot of what I had figured could be considered long term investment infrastructure. The wood from the fruit and nut trees would have long term value, as would the land if you ever needed to sell it as a subdivision (god forbid). The fruit and nuts could provide a meager income if need be, and the pond could be used for farming fish. And with very little effort you could also plant ginseng, echinacea, etcetera. Turn a nice little profit with that if need be. Also plant 5-10 acres with a biodynamic wine vinyard, more profit. Versatility is the key to survival.

United States
                  Member #34266
                  March 1, 2006
                  188 Posts
                  Posted: July 24, 2006, 10:32 pm - IP Logged

First you have to win.

Blackie's avatar - Norfolk 20Sunrise%20Nov%2016.jpg
                    Norfolk , Va
                    United States
                    Member #4541
                    May 2, 2004
                    25097 Posts
                    Posted: July 24, 2006, 11:01 pm - IP Logged

That is Paul Allen;s boat I believe. With 100 mil I could buy half of it since it cost 200 mil but I cant afford the 20 mil a year operating costs. Paul Allen was Gates partner.

Good Luck,

Blackie.                           

United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10351 Posts
                      Posted: July 25, 2006, 12:01 am - IP Logged

The two best days of boat ownsership....the day you buy it, and the day you sell it.... 

Norfolk , Va
                        United States
                        Member #4541
                        May 2, 2004
                        25097 Posts
                        Posted: July 25, 2006, 12:18 am - IP Logged

I dont know if that is true Coin Toss, I will have to take your word for it but a 200 million dollar boat has to be nice. I have several pictures of that boat I posted. It has 2 helo's , about 3 other boats (inside) , a sub, Jet ski's and all kinds of other neat stuff.

Good Luck,

Blackie.                           

United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10351 Posts
                          Posted: July 25, 2006, 12:49 am - IP Logged

A boat owner told me that Blackie...of course, his was nothing on the scale of the one you posted....

Norfolk , Va
                            United States
                            Member #4541
                            May 2, 2004
                            25097 Posts
                            Posted: July 25, 2006, 1:02 am - IP Logged

He was probably talking about the upkeep to owning a boat Coin Toss. That boat " Octopus " has a high upkeep,  20 mil a year.

Good Luck,

Blackie.                           

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
                              Member #9517
                              December 10, 2004
                              1272 Posts
                              Posted: July 25, 2006, 5:18 am - IP Logged

Spend between $1 million and $10 million on a penthouse apartment in a high rise sounds good for a start.

Invest a lot of the cash. Give some to friends. Travel here, there and everywhere.