Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 3:03 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Spyware ??

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 10 years ago by four4me.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Blackie's avatar - Norfolk 20Sunrise%20Nov%2016.jpg
Norfolk , Va
United States
Member #4541
May 2, 2004
25098 Posts
Posted: July 27, 2006, 11:50 am - IP Logged

Hi, I just did a scan on my computer and found it to have a spyware program on it. It was called

Spyware Comet Curser.  or Spyware Cometcurser.  It appears that I downloaded those little smiley's from smiley central and when I did I was asked to install activex installer. If this happens to you please be careful.  Activex is the culprit.

Good Luck,

Blackie.                           

undress's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
    roseville, MI
    United States
    Member #5980
    July 30, 2004
    18205 Posts
    Posted: July 27, 2006, 12:01 pm - IP Logged

Hi, I just did a scan on my computer and found it to have a spyware program on it. It was called

Spyware Comet Curser.  or Spyware Cometcurser.  It appears that I downloaded those little smiley's from smiley central and when I did I was asked to install activex installer. If this happens to you please be careful.  Activex is the culprit.

Funny you said that Rob I am having the same problem....I ran spysweeper.....worked awesome....

Mad ALL IN!Mad

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23273 Posts
      Posted: July 27, 2006, 12:03 pm - IP Logged

It doesn't surprise me at all.  Although people like the free smileys, there is no company that would give away that many free graphics without expecting something in return.  The price you pay for those simleys is spyware installed on your PC.  That is the case with all those "free" sites. 

"There is no free lunch."

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Blackie's avatar - Norfolk 20Sunrise%20Nov%2016.jpg
        Norfolk , Va
        United States
        Member #4541
        May 2, 2004
        25098 Posts
        Posted: July 27, 2006, 12:05 pm - IP Logged

Yeah Lee , I try and run a scan after I download something from the net. Didnt know about this one though untill a little while ago. I downloaded that smiley thing 2 days ago. I zapped the cometcurser thing out now.

Good Luck,

Blackie.                           

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19829 Posts
          Posted: July 27, 2006, 1:12 pm - IP Logged

The better free software usually has a notice that you have the option of reading before you down the program.  It's usually long and boring but somewhere in it, you are told it collects information and how it is used.  You have to decide if it worth the price.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

four4me's avatar - gate1
            MD
            United States
            Member #1701
            June 18, 2003
            8362 Posts
            Posted: July 27, 2006, 3:26 pm - IP Logged

i think that might be the culprit with my other pc. Comet cursor had some nice cursors on their site years ago i tried to uninstall it but it's still on the pc somewhere. i even re loaded windows 98 and comet cursor was still there somewhere lurking. Every once in a while i would get a message about upgrading comet cursor. When i search for comet cursor and it bring s up the file page with comet cursor on it ,and i delete it clean my trash can and reboot. then type in comet cursor and the files still there. I think that file can't be erased. So the only option i have might be to get all my lottery stuff off of the HD and reformat the HD.  

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
              Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23273 Posts
              Posted: July 27, 2006, 3:52 pm - IP Logged

i think that might be the culprit with my other pc. Comet cursor had some nice cursors on their site years ago i tried to uninstall it but it's still on the pc somewhere. i even re loaded windows 98 and comet cursor was still there somewhere lurking. Every once in a while i would get a message about upgrading comet cursor. When i search for comet cursor and it bring s up the file page with comet cursor on it ,and i delete it clean my trash can and reboot. then type in comet cursor and the files still there. I think that file can't be erased. So the only option i have might be to get all my lottery stuff off of the HD and reformat the HD.  

There is no way for you to infect someone else's PC over the Internet, unless you sent them a vrius-infected e-mail.  There is absolutely nothing you could do on Lottery Post, including private messaging, that would infect someone else's PC with anything on yours.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
              What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
              Help eliminate computerized drawings!

NY
                United States
                Member #23835
                October 16, 2005
                3474 Posts
                Posted: July 27, 2006, 4:44 pm - IP Logged

Everything can be deleted, but some programs are written so that deleted files are replaced when you reboot.  All programs can be uninstalled, but some are harder to get rid of than others. Plenty of programs that are normally easy to uninstall become difficult to uninstall if you've deleted a file that's needed by the uninstall program. If you think you've uninstalled comet cursor but it keeps coming back there are two likely possibilities. One is that you deleted a necessary file before you tried to uninstall the program. If that's the case you should reinstall comet cursor and then uninstall it again. Since you refer to both uninstalling and deleting above, you do know there's a difference between deleting and uninstalling, right?  To uninstall it start by closing other programs, especially Internet Explorer. Then click Start > Settings > Control Panel, and then double click Add or Remove Programs.  Double click on the entry for Comet Cursor to uninstall it. If you're offered any options about what to uninstall, remove everything. Reboot even if you aren't prompted to. The other likely possibility is that you've got some other program that is reinstalling the program. As adware goes, I think Comet Cursor is one of the less evil ones, and shouldn't reinstall itself, but you may have other components that are related to it, such as Comet Toolbar. That's why you should pay attention during the uninstall process and make sure you're uninstalling everything related to it. If that doesn't get rid if it for good there are other options that are slightly less painful than formatting and doing a clean install.

RJ makes a really good point about reading the license agreement. They're boring and occasionally long, but most of them tell you if they're going to do something you won't like. They may not make it obvious, but if you pay attention they'll usually say something about collecting information or displaying ads.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                  MD
                  United States
                  Member #1701
                  June 18, 2003
                  8362 Posts
                  Posted: July 27, 2006, 8:50 pm - IP Logged

There is no way for you to infect someone else's PC over the Internet, unless you sent them a vrius-infected e-mail.  There is absolutely nothing you could do on Lottery Post, including private messaging, that would infect someone else's PC with anything on yours.

Wow i never said i got anything bad from lottery post. my other pc i said in a blog reply that i have trouble getting on lottery post with my old PC and navigating the site, posting messages etc. with it because it is old and must have some kind of conflict with (windows 98 plus). the explorer i use and whatever else might be hindering my experience on line. Every time you made major changes that old pc went nuts and drove me nuts trying to get everything acclimated to the new changes.

I downloaded comet cursor 6 yrs before i new lottery post existed. A friend a work told me what neat cursors they had since he knew i liked sifi stuff. I came home from work and downloaded comet cursor thinking nothing about it. My pc worked fine for a while after that then upon accepting some upgrade from comet cursor my pc started acting weird it acted weird for a long time. Since i'm not all that computer savvy i can't go into great detail about all the problems. i just know if i tried right now to log onto the Internet with my old PC using aol 9.0 optimized with all its bells and whistles i would barely make it online and once online if i went to lottery post and tried posting i would not get through unless i changed all my settings again. My old pc never liked you new version of the editor. I could never use the spell checker in either editor. hence i typed messages in my emails and spell checked them there then copyed and pasted them in a post.

for whatever reason i cannot use the spell checker for your editor while i am on alo even with this pc. But if i open microsoft explorer and come to lottery post by way of microsoft explore the spell checker is there and it works.

Please don't get me confused with someone that knows stuff about computers. i am a computer user. I've learned some stuff about pc's from reading articles and fixing problems with the assistance of others. I don't change settings on my pc without technical help i rarely download anything that doesn't come in an email because all of aol's emails are virus proofed so supposedly i can't be infected opening an email. All of aol's incoming and outgoing emails are virus protected?

You have people on lottery post who over the years have created links to all kind of downloads an no one knows for sure if they aren't being infected. Especially if they haven't a clue as to how to check for viruses.

However i still think comet cursor is part the cause why my other pc is messed up. In any case i know it's old M5ALA is outdated along with all it other installed hardware and software. And any newer pc would be better than the old clunker. This pc belongs to my kids. i still haven bought a new pc. All my lottery data is on the old clunker. If you knew what is was like runing back and fourth copying stuff down by hand and typing stuff ..... well on day i'll be able to put it all on one pc again and life will be better.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                    MD
                    United States
                    Member #1701
                    June 18, 2003
                    8362 Posts
                    Posted: July 27, 2006, 9:03 pm - IP Logged

KY Floyd i have all but given up on that pc it's now just a stand alone unit with all my lottery stuff. On day when i get a new pc we will extract the lottery excel files. And load them on the new unit. This way i can get back to the work at hand i can't post anything from excel until i do that.

It seems to me that cache memory is most important. Apparently while online and surfing the net typing stuff etc uses a lot of it.  It kills me that they don't put enough onboard cache memory since that's what makes the internet happen. And isp's should automatically clear the cache memory when you log of. I'll bet there are thousands of people on here that don't even know what cache memory is. Let alone how to clear it out of memory.  

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                      Member #41383
                      June 16, 2006
                      1969 Posts
                      Posted: July 28, 2006, 1:04 am - IP Logged

Use Firefox and 'most' of your problems will go away.

NY
                        United States
                        Member #23835
                        October 16, 2005
                        3474 Posts
                        Posted: July 28, 2006, 2:03 am - IP Logged

KY Floyd i have all but given up on that pc it's now just a stand alone unit with all my lottery stuff. On day when i get a new pc we will extract the lottery excel files. And load them on the new unit. This way i can get back to the work at hand i can't post anything from excel until i do that.

It seems to me that cache memory is most important. Apparently while online and surfing the net typing stuff etc uses a lot of it.  It kills me that they don't put enough onboard cache memory since that's what makes the internet happen. And isp's should automatically clear the cache memory when you log of. I'll bet there are thousands of people on here that don't even know what cache memory is. Let alone how to clear it out of memory.  

There are a few types of cache memory, so I'm not sure just what you mean. The processor has cache memory that uses very fast and very expensive memory. Unless you spend big bucks it's unlikely that the processor in a machine you might buy tomorrow will have more than 1 MB for the L2 cache, and the L1 may only have 16 to 64KB. Most people don't do much where a bigger cache (or even a faster processor) will improve their performance. Newer games and engineering require a lot of computing power, but web surfing doesn't.

Random access memory, RAM, is often a bottleneck and adding more will almosy certainly improve performance. Right now I've got 3 browser windows open, plus a game of Freecell and my machine is using 296MB of RAM. Most of that is Windows itself (XP), anti-virus and firewall programs and other things that run in the background, and I've disabled a number of things (Quicktime and Adobe reader, for example) that normally run by default whether you need to use them or not. RAM is dirt cheap nowadays, and virtually everyone who hasn't added RAM since buying the machine has amachine that can use 2 to 8 times what they have.

Your web browser (whether it's Internet Explorer or AOL) has a browser cache, which uses space on your hard drive to store most of what you look at while on the web. That can speed up your browsing by loading files from your hard drive instead of having to download them. If you have a slow internet connection that can make a big difference. Since you refer to logging off, I'm guessing you're still using a dial up connection. Most websites aren't very friendly to dial up users anymore. Web pages tend to be big, so it takes a long time to download the page.  I don't know about AOL, but IE and other browsers let the user determine how big the cache is. If you want a bigger cache and you have enough free space on your hard drive you can make the changes to IE from the tools menu (Tools > Internet options > General tab > Temporary files > Settings).

As far as having the ISP clear your cache, they can't do it, and why would you let them have any control over your machine?  Clearing the cache sometimes eliminates problems with viewing a website, but it can also slow things down because every piece of every web page will have to be downloaded when you open it. As with so many other things, a good rule of thumb is don't fix it if it's not broken. If you have problems on a website that used to work clearing the cache may solve the problem, but if things are working then the cache isn't likely to be slowing things down.

I just noticed that you said the machine you're using belongs to your kids. There's an excellent chance that's a big source of problems, too. Depending on how old they are and how computer literate they are, kids tend to download a lot of stuff that will slow a machine down, if not cripple it. Comet Cursor may be just the tip of the iceberg if your kids have downloaded stuff that sounded fun or useful.

Lkydeb*594's avatar - yummyxmascat
                          Luv Vtracs 8-)

United States
                          Member #38062
                          April 23, 2006
                          12585 Posts
                          Posted: July 28, 2006, 3:34 am - IP Logged

Hi four4me!  B/c of all the things we r suppose to do to keep our pc in good shape, like guesser, I use firefox & I also use system mechanic 6 to clean, fix & defrag for me. I put it in automatic set time to do this when I'm not on-line.  now I never have any problems.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                            MD
                            United States
                            Member #1701
                            June 18, 2003
                            8362 Posts
                            Posted: July 28, 2006, 5:14 am - IP Logged

KYFloyd thank's for your response as this has been explained to me by several people it helps me understand things better. like i said i don't know a lot about the inner workings of a pc. So to help clear this up this pc i bought for the kids is working great. Is a low end compaq presario sr1500nx. cable connected Aol recommends 512 mb. Good thing is i can load up to i gig on it. I have them on kid controls so they cant download anything without permission.

My pc is a CTX built in 97/98 and only has 256 mb it's mother board has everything i can load on it hardware wise. When i turn it on it takes every bit of 8 minutes to load most of it functions including all of aol's add ons spy ware, virus protection etc. I had a friend disable some things so it would perform better. but for whatever the reason becuse it is memory deficient it doesn't perform like it should. hence time to get new. See the M5ala mother board was made just prior to them manufacturing the next version mother board which will handle 512 mb.

here's what i gather about memory: every keystroke uses memory every webpage and everything that is running is using memory. So systems are taxed for surfing the internet. Even when you open and close a window memory is being used. Since manufactures know that while a person is on the internet some kind of memory catching devise should be incorporated to do the job better. You mentioned free cell when i am online and play pogo games like freecell i along with many others get messages that say memory is getting low and when you check the recourse meter it is maxed out. since that part of memory being used is limited to whatever it's set at increasing it above the recommended settings causes the pc to start using HD memory. And here is where problems start happing because now the fast ram is being diverted to the hd and it slows things down. generally speaking i think 1 gig of ram might be enough now but in a couple of yrs we'll need 2 gigs as they keep adding things that use it either in active applications or while programs are running in the background.

Back to my old clunker it has out lived it's usefulness as far as the internet is concerned not enough mother board to slow of a processor poor memory handling. Time for the bone yard.

NY
                              United States
                              Member #23835
                              October 16, 2005
                              3474 Posts
                              Posted: July 28, 2006, 2:01 pm - IP Logged

KYFloyd thank's for your response as this has been explained to me by several people it helps me understand things better. like i said i don't know a lot about the inner workings of a pc. So to help clear this up this pc i bought for the kids is working great. Is a low end compaq presario sr1500nx. cable connected Aol recommends 512 mb. Good thing is i can load up to i gig on it. I have them on kid controls so they cant download anything without permission.

My pc is a CTX built in 97/98 and only has 256 mb it's mother board has everything i can load on it hardware wise. When i turn it on it takes every bit of 8 minutes to load most of it functions including all of aol's add ons spy ware, virus protection etc. I had a friend disable some things so it would perform better. but for whatever the reason becuse it is memory deficient it doesn't perform like it should. hence time to get new. See the M5ala mother board was made just prior to them manufacturing the next version mother board which will handle 512 mb.

here's what i gather about memory: every keystroke uses memory every webpage and everything that is running is using memory. So systems are taxed for surfing the internet. Even when you open and close a window memory is being used. Since manufactures know that while a person is on the internet some kind of memory catching devise should be incorporated to do the job better. You mentioned free cell when i am online and play pogo games like freecell i along with many others get messages that say memory is getting low and when you check the recourse meter it is maxed out. since that part of memory being used is limited to whatever it's set at increasing it above the recommended settings causes the pc to start using HD memory. And here is where problems start happing because now the fast ram is being diverted to the hd and it slows things down. generally speaking i think 1 gig of ram might be enough now but in a couple of yrs we'll need 2 gigs as they keep adding things that use it either in active applications or while programs are running in the background.

Back to my old clunker it has out lived it's usefulness as far as the internet is concerned not enough mother board to slow of a processor poor memory handling. Time for the bone yard.

It sounds like you're pretty well set with the newer machine. As far as the old one, it's definitely time to get a new one. Using a machine built in 97 or 98 is like driving a car built in the 20's or 30's. Even if it's running as well as it can it's no match for today's demands. 8 minutes to boot is an eternity, but that's probably par for the course with a machine that old loading the stuff most people would have on it today. FWIW, one of the problems with most old machines is that Windows gets cluttered the longer it's used. Just as your efforts to uninstall Comet Cursor haven't gotten rid of everything, there are probably lots of pieces of other programs still on the machine.

As far as every key stroke or mouse click using memory that's true and false. Every character that is saved will use some memory, but it's not very much. There's some minor overhead for details like formatting, but  it would take more than a million characters to use 1 MB. A lot of things you do will use memory to execute the instruction, but that memory is freed up and available again. Extra windows do use more memory, and if you keep opening web pages in new windows you could cause problems if your resources are low. FWIW, I've never understood why nobody has thought to offer a queueing feature in a browser, so that when a page has some links you're interested in you could add them to the queue and then look at them when you're done with the first page. With my old machine Freecell would occasionally give me an out of memory error, but either I still had memory left or it was but that occasionally increased Freecell's demand. 

If you get a new machine with Windows Vista (if it ever really comes out) 512 will be required and 1 gig is recommended, so unless you have some applications that really need alot of RAM that adequate for a while longer. The virtual memory (what's on thehard drive) is also important. If you have a small hard drive that's nearly full coupled with a sytem that has barely enough RAM th evirtual memory may be too limited. RAm and HD space are pretty cheap now, so there's not much reason to skimp when buying a new nachine. Unfortunately most manufacturers seem  to be fond of offering cheap low end machines and then charging far too much for a bigger HD or more RAM.