Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 2:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Spyware ??

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 10 years ago by four4me.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
four4me's avatar - gate1
MD
United States
Member #1701
June 18, 2003
8358 Posts
Posted: July 30, 2006, 4:06 pm - IP Logged

I'd like to thank everyone whom replied to my posts. Basically i'd like to say to all those still using the phone line to connect to the internet . try and find some other way to connect to the internet. if your pc is 8 yrs old or older consider the posters suggestion to start saving up for the next generation PC.

right now or within a few weeks or more all the older models on the market will be lowering their prices. because the next generation processor will be the hot item to have. And they will want to deplete their inventory so they can stock the new stuff coming out.

It's too bad they don't make a universal mother board with removable parts so one could just buy the hardware they need and plug the latest stuff on the board. While you can buy some parts. The older motherboards aren't compatible with the latest technology. you might get away with limited upgrades. But after 5 or 6 yrs most of the stuff on the market today won't work with the older PC's.

Another thing is if you have a descent monitor mouse and keyboard you don't have to buy a whole new system unless you want one, you can just buy the PC box and plug you stuff into it.

Also there are places on the internet you can go to where they will build your dream machine. This can be pricey especially if you want the latest technology. Most desktop users don't need all that unless they are heavy into gaming or photo/video storage and editing.

my buddy tells me they even have liquid cooled cabinets. I said wow that would be great except for if it ever sprung a leak. LOL

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
    Dump Water Florida
    United States
    Member #380
    June 5, 2002
    3102 Posts
    Posted: July 31, 2006, 2:38 am - IP Logged

Before you toss a perfectly good computer take the time to try some free fixes.  Go to http://www.lotto-logix.com/games.html and scroll down to the link for AVG free anti-virus software which will go a long way toward healing your machine.  You don't need to subscribe to better if your surfing the net for lottery information and other safe topics.  Then scroll further down to the google box and do a search for Ad-Aware SE Personal which will take out any remaining spy and scum ware.  BobP

dx123's avatar - white face.jpg
      somewhere
      Canada
      Member #39919
      May 24, 2006
      150 Posts
      Posted: July 31, 2006, 10:06 am - IP Logged

Before you go any further, try the 'run' command and place 'regedit' in the box. When the 'Registry Editor' box pops up, go to Edit>Find. Place the name of that bug in the 'Find What' box and hit enter. 

Do this several times, with the same name, until all is gone. Delete the registry entry that is highlighted. Its tricky, but you'll get the hang of it. You may get the name of the bug, and several KEY registry numbers and lines...delete them all, they are associated with that bug.

Reboot and you're good to go! Just beware of the net installations.

Install Spy Sweeper and AVG. Another good one is 'eTrust PestPatrol' by CA. Its free for a year c/w updates. Also, go to the bugs website and look for other names it is hidden under. CA [Computer Associates] have a list of these things and some names they hide under and can be searched for in the 'Registry Editor'. If they pop up, delete these too.

Good luck.

yt

dx123

four4me's avatar - gate1
        MD
        United States
        Member #1701
        June 18, 2003
        8358 Posts
        Posted: July 31, 2006, 12:04 pm - IP Logged

Hi four4me!  B/c of all the things we r suppose to do to keep our pc in good shape, like guesser, I use firefox & I also use system mechanic 6 to clean, fix & defrag for me. I put it in automatic set time to do this when I'm not on-line.  now I never have any problems.

Thank you for this bit of info. i think when i downloaded aol9.0 optimised i had an option th load firefox. i searched for it on that pc and it isn't there.

My old pc has out lived it's usefulness as far as the internet is concerned. Its prossessor is just to slow. well maybe not so slow but with all the things aol has running in the background it has trouble keeping up with todays internet webpages many of which have active x controls and shockwave and things of that nature.

I haven't logged onto the internet with that old pc in months and if it were to connect it would probably freeze up because it would request updating spy ware and virus protections a task that under normal circumstance might take 20 minutes or more will probably take hours. It's just not worth the agrivation. When i could get a rebated pc for around 600 bucks that will run circles around the old clunker.

I will keep the old clunker as a lottery data storage space and use it to update files and such. Along with its excel and word processor which work fine when i'm not connected to the internet. When i am connected to the internet with the old clunker and open excel i am maxed out on memory. So if i try and copy files to submit to lottery post it freezes up i can barely copy files to email because the memory is used up. time for a new PC.