Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 3:52 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Staying Motivated for Jackpot Games

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 10 years ago by geos*5666!.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

How do you handle NOT wining a jackpot?

Winning doesn't matter; I just play for fun [ 3 ]  [7.50%]
I look to the next draw, which I'm sure I'll win [ 11 ]  [27.50%]
I work on improving my system [ 9 ]  [22.50%]
I go right out to buy tickets for the next drawing [ 2 ]  [5.00%]
I get deeply depressed [ 4 ]  [10.00%]
I'm a compulsive gambler;couldn't quit if I wanted [ 2 ]  [5.00%]
I stop playing when I get tired of losing [ 3 ]  [7.50%]
I make imaginary bets and predictions [ 4 ]  [10.00%]
I lie about how much I've won [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
I complain about the lottery being crooked [ 2 ]  [5.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 40 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
ayenowitall's avatar - rod serling4.jpg

United States
Member #4416
April 22, 2004
1075 Posts
Posted: August 6, 2006, 1:37 pm - IP Logged

Most of us have never won a jackpot. Sometimes I wonder if I ever will win a jackpot, but I don't dwell on that for long. Of course, I also wonder sometimes if I have a gambling problem, but playing the lottery doesn't seem to be creating any problems in my life. I do get a little bummed out sometimes about not hitting the big one, but I know that jackpot win can be just one draw away. I usually get busy on making my next number selections right away after a drawing. I can usually find some way to tweak my methods for the better.

I find playing the lottery to be far more exciting than my everyday life. The dream of hitting a jackpot is sometimes the only thing that gets me through the drudgery of my job and other such mundane activities.

Does not winning a jackpot ever make you question whether you should continue to play? Are your wins of secondary prizes enough to keep you going? How do you deal with those doubts?

aye'

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
    Member #91
    January 19, 2002
    12015 Posts
    Posted: August 6, 2006, 2:01 pm - IP Logged

That's a good question, and I used to be alot like you discribed yourself.  I have come to the realization that I can and can't win the lottery....I just have to bide my time, and stay in the game.  It could be as simple as luck and just being at the right place at the right time, or it can be the numbers I draw.  In the 6/49 game we used to have I once made up 18,000 combinations to see what would happen. I got lots of 3 of 6, some 4 of 6 and a very few 5 of 6 combinations over the course of a year what ever I pretended to play only netted me a 10% return (not real money).....I play the same pick 3 and 4 numbers on the prediction board and I get no better or worse than most others....

I've come to enjoy the challenge of working on something that is almost impossible to do....and I enjoy matching wits with all LP members that play the PB/MM challenge.  I get up for a big jackpot and when its hit I get envious of the person who hit it,,,,But maybe someday............

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

Coastal Georgia
      United States
      Member #2653
      October 30, 2003
      1866 Posts
      Posted: August 6, 2006, 2:11 pm - IP Logged

I get bummed when I don't win anything but piddly little amounts...But I do look forward to the next time.

I don't spend any time on picking numbers, as I have a long running set I use and in fact, have to use because as we all know the day I don't play them they will hit .

I always get QPs too, and those tend to net me a few bucks here and there.

Seems like all the recent huge wins have been Qps...

DD

LottoVantage's avatar - BRITIS 3.GIF
        Southeastern Ohio
        United States
        Member #13850
        April 16, 2005
        783 Posts
        Posted: August 6, 2006, 2:11 pm - IP Logged

My vote: I work on improving my system

I only play when my intuition is very strong, my system indicates that wagering is favorable, and when the bet amount isn't going to drain my pockets!

Primarily I enjoy working with my system, and value the gratification I receive when everything comes together as it is designed to do.

LottoVantage

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
          Mcminnville, Oregon
          United States
          Member #3013
          December 13, 2003
          3095 Posts
          Posted: August 6, 2006, 2:25 pm - IP Logged

I think chasing jackpots for me is a thrill.  The higher they go the more you could do with the winnings.  Sure it is a bummer to lose but when you win it will make up for all the times you did not get nothing.  The facts are their will be only be a select few that will win big game jackpots and you could be one of the few.  You just have to try your luck at a ticket and see how it all goes down.  I think if you never make an attempt at buying lottery then you will never know what it is to win at lottery. -weshar75

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
            Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: August 6, 2006, 2:34 pm - IP Logged

I get a little sad & frustrated for a few minutes, not because I didn't win the jackpot, but because I didn't win ANYTHING!!  After 30 years I'd be happy hitting 5/6 numbers just to reduce my losses, so I wonder why I keep trying, but it's still fun to dream.

Then I go to bed and wake up singing Obla Dee Obla Da life goes on, knowing there are millions of people a lot worse than I am - and there's always next Wed or Sat....or the week after that. 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19903 Posts
              Posted: August 6, 2006, 2:50 pm - IP Logged

I like working on a strategy for winning even when I don't play or when I do play and lose. 

I'm constantly improving my analyzing program to evaluate those strategies.  For example I know in last 100 PB drawings had I eliminated the previous 12-15 numbers of the last 3 drawings from my number pool I would have had a pool of 40-43 numbers that would have had 4 or 5 of the winning numbers 58% of the time and all five 21% of those times.  Also that group would have had the bonus number 82% of those times.  I'm working on having just as good of coverage with an even smaller pool of numbers.

If I'm confident that I've improved my odds of winning a jackpot every time I play then I'm satisfied. 

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

four4me's avatar - gate1
                MD
                United States
                Member #1701
                June 18, 2003
                8396 Posts
                Posted: August 6, 2006, 3:28 pm - IP Logged
                I spend a good deal of time trying to figure out what ball sets they might be using after every draw i enter the numbers in an excel file and track each drawing I've noticed some things like they might be rotating 4 ball sets possibly more. So i pick numbers from all 4 groups to wheel separately. Sometimes i get close to picking the right numbers but can be disappointed that i didn't wheel the right numbers because i chose the wrong numbers to wheel and wonder why after the draw that i missed something obvious. One of these days i feel i might get all 5 white balls i just hope i chose the mega ball to go along with them.
                  bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
                  Member #12618
                  March 18, 2005
                  2060 Posts
                  Posted: August 6, 2006, 6:13 pm - IP Logged

I get a little sad when I check my numbers and see that I didn't win anything, but I don't dwell on it. I just look to the next drawing and tell myself maybe next time.

Dance like no one is watching.

Coastal Georgia
                    United States
                    Member #2653
                    October 30, 2003
                    1866 Posts
                    Posted: August 6, 2006, 6:44 pm - IP Logged

I get a little sad when I check my numbers and see that I didn't win anything, but I don't dwell on it. I just look to the next drawing and tell myself maybe next time.

I Agree!  That pretty much sums it up.

Can't change it....move on...better luck next time.

DD

Morrison, IL
                      United States
                      Member #4657
                      May 13, 2004
                      1884 Posts
                      Posted: August 6, 2006, 7:30 pm - IP Logged

Yep, I just look forward to the next drawing as well. In fact, I've started playing Mega Millions again in addition to Powerball so I can look forward to a big jackpot draw four nights a week. For both games, I play the same quick pick for four draws at a time and buy my multi-draw MM tickets on the opposite weeks I buy my multi-draw PB tickets.

Griffith, In
                        United States
                        Member #41637
                        June 20, 2006
                        266 Posts
                        Posted: August 6, 2006, 7:56 pm - IP Logged

Hi ayenowitall;

You know, so many people on this website and on their own do the same thing over, and over again...... and I am not saying that this isn't good for you and those others...... but I went through a series of ups and downs just like you all and went through alot of tweaking and discovered that no matter how many times you try.... and try hard....... it just won't hit until you stop trying and then it may just come to you...... So in all in all.......... it is patients!

I try telling my self that "It's going to happen!"

and when I play my numbers...... I tell the person who is placing my bet........ "I want to be a new man!" something positive in the words that may make a difference in my outlook.

Also dream solving is something that I like to use when I am in a jam.

Well I hope that this helps you and alot of the other great players (just like myself) out there and hope that this comfort you all in the end.

Eddie

Thank you and have a prosperous day!

Maverick2842.......out!Party

New Mexico
                          United States
                          Member #12305
                          March 10, 2005
                          2984 Posts
                          Posted: August 6, 2006, 9:16 pm - IP Logged

Most of us have never won a jackpot. Sometimes I wonder if I ever will win a jackpot, but I don't dwell on that for long. Of course, I also wonder sometimes if I have a gambling problem, but playing the lottery doesn't seem to be creating any problems in my life. I do get a little bummed out sometimes about not hitting the big one, but I know that jackpot win can be just one draw away. I usually get busy on making my next number selections right away after a drawing. I can usually find some way to tweak my methods for the better.

I find playing the lottery to be far more exciting than my everyday life. The dream of hitting a jackpot is sometimes the only thing that gets me through the drudgery of my job and other such mundane activities.

Does not winning a jackpot ever make you question whether you should continue to play? Are your wins of secondary prizes enough to keep you going? How do you deal with those doubts?

aye'

Numbers magic keeps me interested.  I don't play Road Runner, and only play PB for about a third of the draws.

No problem keeping fired up about the numbers though.

J

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

United States
                            Member #16612
                            June 2, 2005
                            3493 Posts
                            Posted: August 6, 2006, 9:32 pm - IP Logged

ayenowitall, I look ahead to the next draw as my vote because I don't really buy the lotto anymore since I'm about $500 down since I turned 18 years old. My aunt or my dad makes the picks in order for me to buy them.

United States
                              Member #1826
                              July 11, 2003
                              2645 Posts
                              Posted: August 7, 2006, 1:10 am - IP Logged

I'm just happy to win something. If I got depressed everytime I didn't get the jackpot, I would have a bullet in my head by now.

(insert signature here)