Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

84 Year Old Wins $40M FL Lottery

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 10 years ago by justxploring.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: August 9, 2006, 8:42 pm - IP Logged

Hope she took the cash!  LOL

Seriously, I think it's great when all these octogenarians win in Florida, but the press releases always say they picked up their check at the lottery in Tallahassee. Nothing is every written about a trust or a lawyer. I'm not an expert on estate tax, but first she's paying a huge amount of federal income tax to the IRS. In 10 years or less she'll be leaving an estate that will be taxed heavily. If she gives her children gifts now, she has to pay gift tax in addition to the income tax. 

So my question is, why don't these people form a trust before claiming the money? Does anyone feel that the State has any responsibility to advise people on these matters? I'm not sure how a trust works, but if she has 7 children and a Family Trust claims the $21M lump sum, then wouldn't there just be one income tax when the prize is claimed and then the trust is split by the family? I'm pretty sure Florida will only pay one claimant.  I see these stories all the time announcing someone over 80 wins, so I'm just curious.

CSenior's avatar - 2016 03_10_19_01_18.png
    Florida
    United States
    Member #30348
    January 15, 2006
    2009 Posts
    Posted: August 9, 2006, 8:59 pm - IP Logged

I definitely agree! I hope she does create a trust. This will eliminate a lot of headaches down the road.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
      Member #4877
      May 30, 2004
      5121 Posts
      Posted: August 9, 2006, 9:25 pm - IP Logged

Congrat$$$$$$$$$............$HE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who can $HE......"TRUST"??

$HE......."You" Can trust

.........................................................."ME"................my name is PSYKOMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL.............& be sure to

tell us more about yourself on the .............

LOTTERY POST$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
        Member #12618
        March 18, 2005
        2060 Posts
        Posted: August 9, 2006, 10:10 pm - IP Logged

Wow, congrats to her! I bet she and her family are very happy. =)

Dance like no one is watching.

Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: August 9, 2006, 11:22 pm - IP Logged

Yes, but that was my question, csenior. Shouldn't that be handled before collecting the money? The lottery just announced she chose the cash and is taking the $21M lump sum payment. In fact, I rarely see a press release on the FL web site that mentions a Trust or LLC and many older people win the large jackpots. I realize she can give away more up to $1 million in her lifetime without paying a gift tax, but that's only one year's interest.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
            Member #14
            November 9, 2001
            31355 Posts
            Posted: August 9, 2006, 11:25 pm - IP Logged

Wow, congrats to her! I bet she and her family are very happy. =)

go granny, go!!!!

love to nibble those micey feet.

CSenior's avatar - 2016 03_10_19_01_18.png
              Florida
              United States
              Member #30348
              January 15, 2006
              2009 Posts
              Posted: August 9, 2006, 11:46 pm - IP Logged

Yes, but that was my question, csenior. Shouldn't that be handled before collecting the money? The lottery just announced she chose the cash and is taking the $21M lump sum payment. In fact, I rarely see a press release on the FL web site that mentions a Trust or LLC and many older people win the large jackpots. I realize she can give away more up to $1 million in her lifetime without paying a gift tax, but that's only one year's interest.

I agree. It should be handled before she accepts the check. But we will never know if she and her family sought out legal and financial advice. Being a transplant from NYC, I have seen many jackpot winners blow thru their winnings and end up deeply in debt after the fact. Sad but true...

konane's avatar - wallace
                Atlanta, GA
                United States
                Member #1265
                March 13, 2003
                3333 Posts
                Posted: August 9, 2006, 11:49 pm - IP Logged

Hope she took the cash!  LOL

Seriously, I think it's great when all these octogenarians win in Florida, but the press releases always say they picked up their check at the lottery in Tallahassee. Nothing is every written about a trust or a lawyer. I'm not an expert on estate tax, but first she's paying a huge amount of federal income tax to the IRS. In 10 years or less she'll be leaving an estate that will be taxed heavily. If she gives her children gifts now, she has to pay gift tax in addition to the income tax. 

So my question is, why don't these people form a trust before claiming the money? Does anyone feel that the State has any responsibility to advise people on these matters? I'm not sure how a trust works, but if she has 7 children and a Family Trust claims the $21M lump sum, then wouldn't there just be one income tax when the prize is claimed and then the trust is split by the family? I'm pretty sure Florida will only pay one claimant.  I see these stories all the time announcing someone over 80 wins, so I'm just curious.

Does anyone feel that the State has any responsibility to advise people on these matters?"

It's not a function of the state government to act in a capacity to advise anyone what to do with their money such as a trust or investment or otherwise.   

People should independently seek out whomever they choose to advise them about handling their money and if the advice is incorrect, it is between those parties. 

If they choose to simply put it in the bank without any advice it's their money to do with as they choose.

Congratulations to the winner!!  Good for her!!

Good luck to everyone!

United States
                  Member #16612
                  June 2, 2005
                  3493 Posts
                  Posted: August 10, 2006, 12:21 pm - IP Logged

I hope she takes cash and plan a trust fun so she doesn't have financial problems later in life. I think people don't do a trust fund because they want it by themselves. The problem with Mr. Whitaker was he got into trouble.

United States
                    Member #14
                    November 9, 2001
                    31355 Posts
                    Posted: August 10, 2006, 12:48 pm - IP Logged

I hope she takes cash and plan a trust fun so she doesn't have financial problems later in life. I think people don't do a trust fund because they want it by themselves. The problem with Mr. Whitaker was he got into trouble.

at her age - i hope she blows it all on herself!!

Atlanta, GA
                      United States
                      Member #1265
                      March 13, 2003
                      3333 Posts
                      Posted: August 10, 2006, 1:06 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!  ...... and dies with a smile on her face they can't remove!!!  Big Grin    Party

Good luck to everyone!

Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: August 10, 2006, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

at her age - i hope she blows it all on herself!!

With a cash value of over $21 million less fed taxes (no state tax) she'll net about $13 to $14 million.

How many boy-toys can one person use??  LOL  Embarassed 

I won't dwell on this subject.  It isn't about greed or selfishness, but it also doesn't make sense for money to (a) go into probate or (b) get paid in estate or gift taxes because someone didn't think ahead. It just makes sense for someone 84 to let a trustee and/or her children claim it, since the article said she was going to give it to them anyway. An attorney could make sure she's protected and set her up for life. She's even too old to buy life insurance. If anyone on this site is 84, please don't be offended.  My Dad is 92 and danced his heart out only a few years ago. Now his physical and mental health is fading rapidly. It's just a fact of life.

But it's always the winner's choice, so good luck to this lady. Hope she has lots of fun!!

Note to Just6:  Good ol' Jack W. was a self made millionaire before he hit the jackpot. Perhaps his fame and new fortune only added salt to the wound, but the wound was already there. He's an alcoholic and his demons are what destroyed him, not his winning ticket.

United States
                          Member #14
                          November 9, 2001
                          31355 Posts
                          Posted: August 10, 2006, 1:55 pm - IP Logged

With a cash value of over $21 million less fed taxes (no state tax) she'll net about $13 to $14 million.

How many boy-toys can one person use??  LOL  Embarassed 

I won't dwell on this subject.  It isn't about greed or selfishness, but it also doesn't make sense for money to (a) go into probate or (b) get paid in estate or gift taxes because someone didn't think ahead. It just makes sense for someone 84 to let a trustee and/or her children claim it, since the article said she was going to give it to them anyway. An attorney could make sure she's protected and set her up for life. She's even too old to buy life insurance. If anyone on this site is 84, please don't be offended.  My Dad is 92 and danced his heart out only a few years ago. Now his physical and mental health is fading rapidly. It's just a fact of life.

But it's always the winner's choice, so good luck to this lady. Hope she has lots of fun!!

Note to Just6:  Good ol' Jack W. was a self made millionaire before he hit the jackpot. Perhaps his fame and new fortune only added salt to the wound, but the wound was already there. He's an alcoholic and his demons are what destroyed him, not his winning ticket.

i was being more practical - better food, travel, maid service, nice home.

Atlanta, GA
                            United States
                            Member #1265
                            March 13, 2003
                            3333 Posts
                            Posted: August 10, 2006, 2:06 pm - IP Logged

Actually I was too.  Not having to worry about paying for a potential catastropic illness later in life can likely add quality years to a person's lifespan.  Yes, on the maid service, home, landscape service, a personal driver when she needs to go somewhere, etc.  I hope she enjoys some of the luxuries this type win can afford.

Himbos are for less practically minded women!!! Crazy

Good luck to everyone!

Wandering Aimlessly
                              United States
                              Member #25360
                              November 5, 2005
                              4461 Posts
                              Posted: August 10, 2006, 2:08 pm - IP Logged

So was I! LOL  What would be wrong if her maid had great pecs? Men do great housework if they're trained properly.

Anyway, she could take the entire net amount and put it in a bank CD and earn over $800,000 every year and never touch the principal. Nobody ever has an obligation to leave money to their children or charity. I was only talking about being responsible.

Not having to worry about paying for a potential catastropic illness later in life can likely add quality years to a person's lifespan. 

Konane - I was posting at the same time you were. That's exactly what I was saying. When people are healthy and in a good state of mind is when they need to make financial decisions, not when they get sick. When I said "put the money in a CD" I was only showing the huge amount of interest the money could generate. Putting the money in the bank would not be the practical thing to do. I guess a lot of this has to do with trusting another person. If a woman that age does not have long-term care, a nursing home or assisted living facility could eat up a large portion of her wealth. With millions of dollars, a loving child could provide good in-home care with 24/7 nursing. 

What in the world is a Himbo?