Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 5:52 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

84 Year Old Wins $40M FL Lottery

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 10 years ago by justxploring.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #379
June 5, 2002
11296 Posts
Posted: August 10, 2006, 2:13 pm - IP Logged

The FDIC insures accounts up to only $100,000. I don't have any other advice, than for her NOT to purchase an annuity.

konane's avatar - wallace
    Atlanta, GA
    United States
    Member #1265
    March 13, 2003
    3351 Posts
    Posted: August 10, 2006, 2:33 pm - IP Logged

i was being more practical - better food, travel, maid service, nice home.

So was I! LOL  What would be wrong if her maid had great pecs? Men do great housework if they're trained properly.

Anyway, she could take the entire net amount and put it in a bank CD and earn over $800,000 every year and never touch the principal. Nobody ever has an obligation to leave money to their children or charity. I was only talking about being responsible.

Not having to worry about paying for a potential catastropic illness later in life can likely add quality years to a person's lifespan. 

Konane - I was posting at the same time you were. That's exactly what I was saying. When people are healthy and in a good state of mind is when they need to make financial decisions, not when they get sick. When I said "put the money in a CD" I was only showing the huge amount of interest the money could generate. Putting the money in the bank would not be the practical thing to do. I guess a lot of this has to do with trusting another person. If a woman that age does not have long-term care, a nursing home or assisted living facility could eat up a large portion of her wealth. With millions of dollars, a loving child could provide good in-home care with 24/7 nursing. 

What in the world is a Himbo?

Himbo ~ man kept by a wealthy woman for whatever purposes she decides. 

I can recall one that was running for president last time, but Geraldo used Britany Spears husband as an example, also Ashton Kutcher (sp). 

Good luck to everyone!

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: August 10, 2006, 2:42 pm - IP Logged

The FDIC insures accounts up to only $100,000. I don't have any other advice, than for her NOT to purchase an annuity.

Cash, I was only using the "Bank CD" example to demonstrate the size of her prize. Why not an annuity? Regarding the FDIC, have you read all the small print? They are not guaranteeing 100% return on your money. Also, what do you think the "I" in FDIC stand for?  Insurance companies have been around since our country began. Maybe you had a bad experience but, for example, Abraham Lincoln's home was insured by the same company that owns AIG.  When people at the World Trade Center were killed, who do you think paid the families? Anyway, there are many good annuities and, if these huge companies like Met Life, Sun Life and Liberty Mutual went out of business, the whole country would fall too, so it wouldn't matter. Anyway, in the unlikely event that an A++ rated  insurance company fails, your CD-type annuities should be covered up to $100,000 by your state's guaranty association. I only know the FL laws. All of this chat is really silly, since only a personal financial advisor can sit down an analyze an individual's needs. Being diversified (banks, annuities, real estate, bonds, etc.) is always the best solution.

At 84, someone really just needs to make sure a good Senior Planner is looking out for her welfare, while protecting a portion for her beneficiaries. I doubt we'll be reading that this woman blew all her money in Vegas on the slots...but ya never know!

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
        Member #14
        November 9, 2001
        31549 Posts
        Posted: August 10, 2006, 2:53 pm - IP Logged

Himbo ~ man kept by a wealthy woman for whatever purposes she decides. 

I can recall one that was running for president last time, but Geraldo used Britany Spears husband as an example, also Ashton Kutcher (sp). 

HIMBO - new one for me- love it!!!!

is there a herbo???      lol

Big Grin

love to nibble those micey feet.

Coastal Georgia
          United States
          Member #2653
          October 30, 2003
          1866 Posts
          Posted: August 10, 2006, 3:05 pm - IP Logged

HIMBO - new one for me- love it!!!!

is there a herbo???      lol

Big Grin

The opposite of Himbo could be Bimbo...

But "trophy wife" sounds better....

...DD

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
            Member #14
            November 9, 2001
            31549 Posts
            Posted: August 10, 2006, 3:16 pm - IP Logged

The opposite of Himbo could be Bimbo...

But "trophy wife" sounds better....

...DD

ah yes! good old bimbo

love to nibble those micey feet.

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
              Magnolia, Delaware
              United States
              Member #18795
              July 20, 2005
              789 Posts
              Posted: August 10, 2006, 11:03 pm - IP Logged

Mmmm, I remember my grandmother had stopped paying income taxes after she turned 72. It's not like she didn't file or anything like that (which she did) it's just she didn't owe any taxes on what she had earned from the royalty checks she received from the gas & oil wells on her land. That's also not including her retirement checks from her job and her social security checks! Heck man she was earning over 50K a year from all sources put together. To bad she was only able not to pay taxes for 3 years after her 72nd birthday, but what the heck she lived a better life for those 3 yrs when not owing any taxes on her income! And by the way, it was all legal! You know why? When she passed away her estate owed not one penny in back taxes for the 3 years that Uncle Sam said she owed no taxes!

So, if the age thing is still true today as it was back 15 yrs ago, then this 84 yr old woman will not owe much in taxes (if any at all)! Good Luck Granny and Congratulations on the WIN! Hurray!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

Wisconsin
                United States
                Member #1610
                June 3, 2003
                668 Posts
                Posted: August 10, 2006, 11:34 pm - IP Logged

Sincere Congrats to the 84 year old winner!

Again we see that anyone can win! The only thing "the lottery" cares about are the numbers. A life can change in an instant ... and age (or anything else) doesn't matter.

This is exactly why I like the lottery.

... the lottery never fails to surprise!
                  justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: August 11, 2006, 1:13 am - IP Logged

Barista Express, I have no idea what you are talking about!  Age as nothing to do with estate tax.  When you die if your total estate is worth over $2 million, taxes must be paid. This won't affect most of us, but it's the law, although there are many ways to reduce one's wealth with a good estate planner.

As far as income tax goes, an elderly person doesn't automatically get a break because of his/her age. Some states give seniors a tax break on retirement income and social security, but not the IRS. If I'm wrong, will someone here please correct me?  As far as I know, anyone making $50,000 a year would be taxed on social security, pension(s) and any additional income, including interest and lottery prizes.  If you look at any 1040 form, it has nothing to do with age, just income bracket. Everyone has to file.  My Dad is 92 and he has to send in a tax return by April 15 just like the rest of us and he's living on social security and a small pension.