Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 8:34 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do You Own Gail Howard Software?

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Todd.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Do You Own Gail Howard Software?

Yes [ 19 ]  [34.55%]
No [ 20 ]  [36.36%]
No, but I have some of her books. [ 7 ]  [12.73%]
Yes, and I have some of her books. [ 9 ]  [16.36%]
Total Valid Votes [ 55 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
Dump Water Florida
United States
Member #380
June 5, 2002
3112 Posts
Posted: August 16, 2006, 2:07 am - IP Logged

Just wondering how many Lottery Post subscribers happen to own a copy of the GH software by now. 

I do, not that it's won me any jackpots, but I find it great for research. BobP

dacman's avatar - Coyote
    California
    United States
    Member #40563
    June 4, 2006
    39 Posts
    Posted: August 16, 2006, 2:59 am - IP Logged

Just wondering how many Lottery Post subscribers happen to own a copy of the GH software by now. 

I have the Advantage Plus program.  Some good charts in there.  You can also download history files for most lotteries free if you are registered.

dx123's avatar - white face.jpg
      somewhere
      Canada
      Member #39919
      May 24, 2006
      150 Posts
      Posted: August 16, 2006, 4:51 am - IP Logged

BobP>>>

Big 'yes' on the ownership and its registered and up to date since 1993.

[constant manual input before the web got here].

I hear there is a 'Windows' program being created. 'DOS' is getting to me but it works fine. I trust it will be a bit more sophisticated!

yt

dx123

Sandy K's avatar - graphic pub.jpg
        Clarkston, Michigan
        United States
        Member #76
        January 6, 2002
        8528 Posts
        Posted: August 16, 2006, 9:28 am - IP Logged

You would think that with all the money that woman has hauled in, she would have funds enough to have a "windows" program developed.

A long, long time ago, I was asked to be a beta tester for a Pick3 program of hers that was being developed.  Didn't happen.  The idea was scrapped for some reason or another.

So, if you are wishing for a "windows" program, don't wish too hard.  DOS is so antiquated now that it is almost funny that she still sells her programs in that format.  Heck I don't know if it is a "floppy disk" but if it is, most new computers now do not come with a floppy drive standard, so she needs to develop something if she wants to continue making some bucks.

Sandy

Sunny California
          United States
          Member #40295
          May 31, 2006
          7713 Posts
          Posted: August 16, 2006, 9:52 am - IP Logged

Yes, and I have some books too. I agree, all great information in there with the charts and such. You can get it on CD now, it shows on the website, for all of us who's new computers aren't floppy disc compatible. I think if you already have the program on floppy you can upgrade to the CD but for a price. Not sure how much.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
            Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23348 Posts
            Posted: August 16, 2006, 10:45 am - IP Logged

You would think that with all the money that woman has hauled in, she would have funds enough to have a "windows" program developed.

A long, long time ago, I was asked to be a beta tester for a Pick3 program of hers that was being developed.  Didn't happen.  The idea was scrapped for some reason or another.

So, if you are wishing for a "windows" program, don't wish too hard.  DOS is so antiquated now that it is almost funny that she still sells her programs in that format.  Heck I don't know if it is a "floppy disk" but if it is, most new computers now do not come with a floppy drive standard, so she needs to develop something if she wants to continue making some bucks.

I doubt she creates the software herself, so maybe it's a limitation of whoever did her programming for her.

GH, if you're reading this, I'll give you a good deal on creating a top-notch Windows version. Wink

Check the State Lottery Report Card
            What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
            Help eliminate computerized drawings!

calabs's avatar - bass fret.jpg

United States
              Member #27050
              November 26, 2005
              40272 Posts
              Posted: August 16, 2006, 11:09 am - IP Logged

I also have her Advantage Plus software as well as the wheel 5 software.  I have three of her books;  the Master Lottery Guide, the Wheel 5 and Pick 6 wheel books.  I've been doing fairly well using her stuff.  Over the last 6 months, playing on and off, I was able to snag seven  4 of 5 wins in NJ and countless 3of5 wins.  Since NJ payout for 4of5 is pretty good, I'm satisfied with my purchase.....

Lep

Amarillo/Austin
                United States
                Member #1424
                April 25, 2003
                696 Posts
                Posted: August 16, 2006, 11:50 am - IP Logged

I have just about everything she offers and have been a Gail fan for years.  The real question is whether tracking past results really matters when the number field is so large.  I know tracking Pick 3 and Pick 4 is useful in determining the next drawing result, but question whether tracking Powerball or Mega Millions results is relevant.  If it was a powerful strategy we would have a lot more winners.  Just too many numbers to deal with.  I know we can eliminate obvious numbers that will not repeat, but picking all 5 or 6 is probably an exercise in futility.  That is why the games are organized the way they are.  They are designed not to win easily.

Orangeman                                  Crying

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                  Member #41383
                  June 16, 2006
                  1969 Posts
                  Posted: August 16, 2006, 12:34 pm - IP Logged

I have just about everything she offers and have been a Gail fan for years.  The real question is whether tracking past results really matters when the number field is so large.  I know tracking Pick 3 and Pick 4 is useful in determining the next drawing result, but question whether tracking Powerball or Mega Millions results is relevant.  If it was a powerful strategy we would have a lot more winners.  Just too many numbers to deal with.  I know we can eliminate obvious numbers that will not repeat, but picking all 5 or 6 is probably an exercise in futility.  That is why the games are organized the way they are.  They are designed not to win easily.

Orangeman                                  Crying

But can looking at past results be a true indicator of future results when they change ball sets and/or ball machines once in awhile ?

I have my own research, and I can tell you which balls were 'hot' with the last ballset, and have been ice cold since the latest ball change, and right off the top of my head PB #9 comes to mind.......  it hit 6-7 times in one ballset, and none since the change, in fact, I don't think it's hit in the last TWO changes. (disclaimer - I could be wrong)

For those that don't know, MUSL uses 4 or 5 totally different sets of balls, and they swap them (the sets, not the balls) with every drawing, and they also swap between  6 or 7 different ball selection machines every drawing. 

Once or twice a year they will 'retire' complete ballsets, and bring in altogether new sets.

I put 'some' value in historical numbers, but not as much as I do in other areas.

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
                    Member #12618
                    March 18, 2005
                    2060 Posts
                    Posted: August 16, 2006, 1:03 pm - IP Logged

No I don't. I don't really use software to pick my numbers

Dance like no one is watching.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                      Member #14
                      November 9, 2001
                      31533 Posts
                      Posted: August 16, 2006, 1:06 pm - IP Logged

No I don't. I don't really use software to pick my numbers

same goes for me.

love to nibble those micey feet.

lottoarchitect's avatar - waveform

Greece
                        Member #2815
                        November 18, 2003
                        502 Posts
                        Posted: August 16, 2006, 1:24 pm - IP Logged

I have to ask since I've never came across any of her books or her programs and her website is not helpful at all to give any insight. What is so special in Gail Howard's programs that is not included in other modern programs? According to your sayings, most of her programs are for the old DOS which makes me think any modern program should easily surpass what she might have designed a long time ago. Does she have a "secret" all other program developers fail to grasp? How come Gail Howard is such a favourite program author? I don't talk about her books here, only about her programs that I assume she implements some of the ideas in her books.

lottoarchitect

If you have something to do, at least do it well...

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                          Member #41383
                          June 16, 2006
                          1969 Posts
                          Posted: August 16, 2006, 2:07 pm - IP Logged

Well, IMO, her claim to fame is she wrote a book or two 20 years ago before anybody else did, 'most' of her major claims for winning draws also came from 15-20 years ago, to read her book she seems to have an ego the size of...... not sure, but pretty big, and she puts into print ways of wheeling numbers that others have not thought much about.

I will keep saying IMO, she has put into print things other folks think about, but cannot quite grasp, I'll give her that one.

Aside from that, she and her ideas are like all of ours - nice when they hit, and 'normal' when they don't. I have not seen anyone win a 'major' jackpot in the last 10-15 years and come out screaming any one person did it for them.

dx123's avatar - white face.jpg
                            somewhere
                            Canada
                            Member #39919
                            May 24, 2006
                            150 Posts
                            Posted: August 16, 2006, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

I have to ask since I've never came across any of her books or her programs and her website is not helpful at all to give any insight. What is so special in Gail Howard's programs that is not included in other modern programs? According to your sayings, most of her programs are for the old DOS which makes me think any modern program should easily surpass what she might have designed a long time ago. Does she have a "secret" all other program developers fail to grasp? How come Gail Howard is such a favourite program author? I don't talk about her books here, only about her programs that I assume she implements some of the ideas in her books.

lottoarchitect

lottoarchitect et al>>>

I don't know if one would call it 'using' as opposed to investigation of lottery numbers but for me, if I were to look at a lottery, I would consider SOME of the investigative techniques put forth in the program. In fact I did just that in the early '80's when Canadian lotteries were in vogue and well before GH came along I might add... Lots of paperwork and decisions back then. Frankly speaking, that has not changed since, you can tell too, hell the lotteries are still around, no one has invented the winning way, yet.

Its very similar to one writing down all that one would consider important when removing numbers from play and vise-versa. We all do that when we invest time and energy on an idea that may or not come to a winning conclusion. If we are not programmers, like myself, its automatic to pick up pen and paper and start to look at which number hit and which one didn't. It does not answer the question 'WHY' not at this time-for the hit [this is the crux of any great lottery program today].

For instance, out of the many 'ideas' catagorized in the program, I do not use 'hot/cold, odd/even, or any filters whatsoever, and a few others I find not worthy in an irrational, random lottery of numbers. They don't mean anything to me. I never use.

There is a wheeling section built within for 5, 6 and 7 game lotteries. Very easy to input your selected numbers, but still have problems printing...no big deal there.

Wrapping it up, I would say its similar to manually writing the numbers in a form that is readable and understandable to you without any 'hidden' methods to get at a result. You still have to make the number selection for the bet! Its just that at the stage of product release in the early '90's, there were no window programming and of course you know the rest...so the computer was the 'writing/storing mechanism' of data! Thinking was different then.

Others can shed more light on this I believe.

If you want to talk about today's lottery programs, that's for a later date, please include me, I'd be happy to comment.

yt

dx123

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                              Dump Water Florida
                              United States
                              Member #380
                              June 5, 2002
                              3112 Posts
                              Posted: August 16, 2006, 5:27 pm - IP Logged

lottoarchitect

The DOS program was written in tight machine code so it ran like a 486 when many of us had XT's and still runs flawlessly on Win XP except on mine it runs in a little box I can't escape from and I have to switch to a dot matrix printer to print as the ink-jet ignores it even with the upgrade.

GH gets credit for writing about strategies and getting them put into software most users could understand.  I cut my lotto teeth on her stuff, heck I bought my first non-commadore computer to use her software.

The secret is a great many ways to look at the draw data, to be able to adjust the amount of past draws to use and to work your way back through the history to see how her smart picks would have picked had you played that way.  Also the ability to set weights for different methods and whether they are included among the collected smart picks.

I would have to call GH, Versa Bet, Lottery Director, EOL, Lotto-Pro, etc. classic lottery programs.  Over twenty years of player requests for charts means there is a lot of interesting stuff in there, too bad it doesn't translate to guaranteed wins. 

Pick-3 and Pick-4 AI was promised, I guess it didn't work.

If you want to look into what she has, click on one of her books on Todd's Amazon book listing on the left screen side and most of her works are there on amazon with ratings and user comments. 

BobP