Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerplay option

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 10 years ago by guesser.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Do you spend the extra money and always choose the Powerplay option on all of your games ?

Yes [ 17 ]  [45.95%]
No [ 20 ]  [54.05%]
Total Valid Votes [ 37 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: August 17, 2006, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

We don't have PB here, but I would definitely always choose powerplay, only because it can make such a huge difference in the amount you win. To me, whether or not spending the extra buck is a rip-off isn't the point. The chance of winning $200,000 is slim, but if the powerplay was 4 and I got lucky and did hit $200,000 instead of $800,000 I'd be pretty upset I didn't spend and extra dollar for $600,000 more.

New Mexico
    United States
    Member #12305
    March 10, 2005
    2984 Posts
    Posted: August 17, 2006, 8:51 pm - IP Logged

I used to always buy Power Play before the matrix change.  When they added the extra lowballs I became circumspect about when I buy it.  I've gotten some middling wins from it so long as I was careful when I bought  it.

J

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

United States
      Member #9579
      December 12, 2004
      2121 Posts
      Posted: August 17, 2006, 8:53 pm - IP Logged

plus if it's a multiplier of 5,you know you didn't win anything.i find it easier to get the powerball rather than the whiteballs.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
        Member #41383
        June 16, 2006
        1969 Posts
        Posted: August 18, 2006, 12:33 am - IP Logged

I will spend on an average powerball jackpot $10 ($5 powerball ticket with powerplay for $10).  When the jackpot reaches into the $200 million range I will add another $10 and one ticket will be QP's from the terminal and one ticket will be LP generator QP's.  If I am going to spend more than a dollar on powerball I am going to powerplay the first line rather than get another line.  Reason being when I win I do not want to win $3,$4,$7,$100, $10,000 or $200,000 when I could get $15,$20,$35,$500,$50,000 or $1 million.  And before you rant about how the Powerball jackpot is going to only take a dollar to win it.  Think of this you will spend your adult lifetime chasing a lottery jackpot as long as it takes.  The odds are set so that you will more than likely win a lower prize than get the jackpot prize.  Now when you stare down at your winning ticket are you going to want $200,000 for a $1 or $1 million for $2?  You have to ask yourself that question!-weshar75

Well geez, now since YOU put it that way, I may have to rethink my logic.

I spend from $6 to $10 every drawing on 6 to 10 games, I am now thinking of just playing 6 games but doing the PP option.....

I always figured MORE games give me MORE chances to win, but hell, what's the big difference between 6 in 146 million and 12 in 146 million ? (or whatever) 

Scorpio has avery good point about hitting just the PB......... thanks man. 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19824 Posts
          Posted: August 19, 2006, 3:26 pm - IP Logged

guesser writes:
          "I always figured MORE games give me MORE chances to win, but hell, what's the big difference between 6 in 146 million and 12 in 146 million ? (or whatever)"

That's true if you're thinking of discarding your tickets if they don't win the jackpot, but if you plan to cash your tickets regardless of their value then you would be thinking overall odds which would be 6 in 37 compared to 12 in 37 of winning some of your money back.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

NC
            United States
            Member #41968
            June 25, 2006
            16 Posts
            Posted: August 20, 2006, 12:12 am - IP Logged

I always PowerPlay now. I too would rather have $400,000-$1million instead of $200,000.

United States
              Member #41383
              June 16, 2006
              1969 Posts
              Posted: August 20, 2006, 12:31 pm - IP Logged

I guess my logic is telling me if I had $12 to spend, I have a better chance at winning something if I play 12 games as opposed to 6 games with a multiplier...

LuckyGirl21's avatar - abstract
                North Carolina
                United States
                Member #45203
                August 16, 2006
                34 Posts
                Posted: August 21, 2006, 3:41 pm - IP Logged

POWER PLAY.... all the baby!!!!!!!!that's where I win my moneyWink

DARE TO DREAM THE POSSIBILITIES!!!!

Party

PROUD TO BE A NORTH CAROLINA POWERBALL PLAYIN GAL!!!!!!!

United States
                  Member #9579
                  December 12, 2004
                  2121 Posts
                  Posted: August 21, 2006, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

yeah,like if you get the powerball,and powerplay you could get 15 bucks,wow,enough to buy next draws picks.teachers love our money,except in thailand that is,ha ha!

United States
                    Member #34266
                    March 1, 2006
                    188 Posts
                    Posted: August 21, 2006, 4:50 pm - IP Logged

yeah,like if you get the powerball,and powerplay you could get 15 bucks,wow,enough to buy next draws picks.teachers love our money,except in thailand that is,ha ha!

I bought 5 PB plays for 5 weeks at $25.00.  I did not choose powerplay because it would have cost $50.00.  Plus gas, to buy the tickets in another state.

In 5 weeks, I hit 1 number with a PB, twice I won a total of  $8.00 on the $25.00 I spent.  IF I  Powerplayed it I would have one $20.00, after I spent $50.    I feel much better losing $17.00, than I would have if,   I had lost $30.00. 

United States
                      Member #9579
                      December 12, 2004
                      2121 Posts
                      Posted: August 21, 2006, 5:14 pm - IP Logged

guess it comes down to personal preference,and how much money to throw away.i always say while others are out to bars,and smoking,i play the lottery.

United States
                        Member #41383
                        June 16, 2006
                        1969 Posts
                        Posted: August 21, 2006, 8:49 pm - IP Logged

Well, bars, smoking and Keno, anyway....

Coastal Georgia
                          United States
                          Member #2653
                          October 30, 2003
                          1866 Posts
                          Posted: August 25, 2006, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

I always choose powerplay.

I seldom play Mega Millions any more even though I live in GA, I drive to SC and play the extra dollar on Powerball.

BTW, the last draw on Powerball, I hit one white plus the powerball for $4, but since I played powerplay, the $4 became $20..

I personally prefer it, since I am playing for lower tier prizes anyway...hoping to hit a JP if lucky..

DD

United States
                            Member #1826
                            July 11, 2003
                            2645 Posts
                            Posted: August 26, 2006, 1:07 am - IP Logged

I always choose powerplay.

I seldom play Mega Millions any more even though I live in GA, I drive to SC and play the extra dollar on Powerball.

BTW, the last draw on Powerball, I hit one white plus the powerball for $4, but since I played powerplay, the $4 became $20..

I personally prefer it, since I am playing for lower tier prizes anyway...hoping to hit a JP if lucky..

DD

You took the words right out of my mouth. I too play for the smaller prizes, and if you're doing that, you're doing yourself a disservice by not powering up (so to speak).

(insert signature here)

United States
                              Member #41383
                              June 16, 2006
                              1969 Posts
                              Posted: August 26, 2006, 1:48 am - IP Logged

This is a debate that is about as 50/50 as you can get.

The folks that want to turn a $3 winner into $6 or as much as $15 have a point, and the folks that pretty much say 'to win anything, you first must pick winning number(s), and the more games you play the more chances you have to win' have a valid point also.