Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 9:11 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Possible disturbing news

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 10 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #379
June 5, 2002
11296 Posts
Posted: August 28, 2006, 4:18 pm - IP Logged

www.nhlottery.org is where you get information about future changes from ME-NH-VT.

The three states are considering scrapping Triple Play in favor of a game called Pay Check (no idea on the format.) Top prize would be $2500 a month for life, which would be less than the booby prize in PA Unlucky for Life. No word on a cash option.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23269 Posts
    Posted: August 28, 2006, 5:19 pm - IP Logged

Just goes to show that lots of people feel differently than you.  The lottery is not stupid.  They would not put a game out there that would not sell well.  Obviously a great many people enjoy Lucky for Life.  The fact that a lot of states are doing it means there is a need to be filled.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
      Mcminnville, Oregon
      United States
      Member #3013
      December 13, 2003
      3052 Posts
      Posted: August 28, 2006, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

I do not concern myself with small prizes unless I have been wanting a break from the chase of the big jackpots that Oregon Megabucks and Powerball offer.  I will then play a small jackpot game like keno or pick4 along with my big jackpot games.  I think the reason for the games presence is the fact that lottery players and that is some want variety in their games.  You would not want to go to the Lottery retailer and have to play just one game for the rest of your life unless that is what you prefer.  It boils down to choices and people prefer to have many different games to play.  I personally do not waste my time with Win for Life because I do not want that small prize.  But their are plenty of people that do or they would not continue with the game and a new game would take its place.-weshar75

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23269 Posts
        Posted: August 28, 2006, 5:36 pm - IP Logged

I do not concern myself with small prizes unless I have been wanting a break from the chase of the big jackpots that Oregon Megabucks and Powerball offer.  I will then play a small jackpot game like keno or pick4 along with my big jackpot games.  I think the reason for the games presence is the fact that lottery players and that is some want variety in their games.  You would not want to go to the Lottery retailer and have to play just one game for the rest of your life unless that is what you prefer.  It boils down to choices and people prefer to have many different games to play.  I personally do not waste my time with Win for Life because I do not want that small prize.  But their are plenty of people that do or they would not continue with the game and a new game would take its place.-weshar75

Do you play Pick 3 and Pick 4?

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
          Mcminnville, Oregon
          United States
          Member #3013
          December 13, 2003
          3052 Posts
          Posted: August 28, 2006, 5:59 pm - IP Logged

Do you play Pick 3 and Pick 4?

Oregon only has pick4 four drawings a day 7 days a week 365 days a year.  I actually asked if the lottery would offer pick3 in their game line up and they told me no.  Then like a month later Lucky lines showed up in the game line up.  I was ticked for a bit but then I tried lucky lines and have been playing it for about 2 months now.  I have not played pick4 in a month or two and when I do I like to get QP's.  I am not good at picking the numbers.  Maybe I should use the RNG here to get my PICK4 numbers!-weshar75

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19828 Posts
            Posted: August 28, 2006, 6:27 pm - IP Logged

www.nhlottery.org is where you get information about future changes from ME-NH-VT.

The three states are considering scrapping Triple Play in favor of a game called Pay Check (no idea on the format.) Top prize would be $2500 a month for life, which would be less than the booby prize in PA Unlucky for Life. No word on a cash option.

Where did you post the "possible disturbing news"? 

I thought maybe you had found out that lotteries were going to stop using real money for prizes and maybe start giving out certificates of  "bragging rights" to lottery winners.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Coastal Georgia
              United States
              Member #2653
              October 30, 2003
              1866 Posts
              Posted: August 28, 2006, 6:40 pm - IP Logged

Disturbing ?

Only in the eye of the beholder, CASH.. 

Good thing it's YOUR opinion and not the consensus...

..DD

United States
                Member #379
                June 5, 2002
                11296 Posts
                Posted: August 28, 2006, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

There ARE people who like the idea of receiving money for the rest of their lives. But these games would be MORE popular if they also offered cash options (like the Washington state Lucky for Life scratch, with a $750,000 option) to attract the MAJORITY who prefer lump sum.

JAP69's avatar - alas
                  South Carolina
                  United States
                  Member #6
                  November 4, 2001
                  8790 Posts
                  Posted: August 28, 2006, 7:56 pm - IP Logged

oh no Cussing Face

no cash option

thats awful Mad

MAGA

United States
                    Member #379
                    June 5, 2002
                    11296 Posts
                    Posted: August 28, 2006, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

I did not say Pay Check would not have a cash option. But I'm not counting on all three states to offer one. If they did, it probably would be for under 500k.

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
                      Member #91
                      January 19, 2002
                      11932 Posts
                      Posted: August 28, 2006, 8:01 pm - IP Logged

I think the MAJORITY of people prefer to WIN.........and I'm sure if you were lucky enough to win a ticket for a CASH ANNUITY for life, you wouldn't blink twice at the offer.......however should you choose to turn it down and make it known to us here that you did not accept it because of your  "cash only" stand, you would gain my respect as a man of your convictions.......however DISTURBING  that would be....

Good Luck in your quest!

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

United States
                        Member #379
                        June 5, 2002
                        11296 Posts
                        Posted: August 28, 2006, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

"Cash annuity" is an oxymoron. Annuity prizes are NOT cash.

United States
                          Member #1826
                          July 11, 2003
                          2645 Posts
                          Posted: August 28, 2006, 10:59 pm - IP Logged

"Cash annuity" is an oxymoron. Annuity prizes are NOT cash.

He's right. They usually just cut you a check. ROFL

(insert signature here)

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                            Member #41383
                            June 16, 2006
                            1969 Posts
                            Posted: August 29, 2006, 1:13 am - IP Logged

If it was $5,000 a month for life, it might intrigue me a bit more, and $7,500 would intrigue me a lot more.

Not that I'd sneeze at $2,500, it just doesn't set the world on fire for me. 

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                              Wandering Aimlessly
                              United States
                              Member #25360
                              November 5, 2005
                              4461 Posts
                              Posted: August 29, 2006, 1:56 am - IP Logged

If it was $5,000 a month for life, it might intrigue me a bit more, and $7,500 would intrigue me a lot more.

Not that I'd sneeze at $2,500, it just doesn't set the world on fire for me. 

Exactly how I feel.  I mean $2,500 after taxes isn't a lot of money...$5,000 would make a much bigger impact on my life. However, it depends on the odds too. I'd rather win $2,500 a month than nothing at all chasing the big jackpots, something I've done for way too many years.