Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:02 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Good State Lottery websites

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Bradly_60.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
Member #2338
September 17, 2003
2063 Posts
Posted: September 2, 2006, 1:32 am - IP Logged

Considering some problems with some official state websites I was wondering what official websites would people here consider good and what they look for in a website. I'd expect any state to have some basics:

Game rules/how to play

Daily results that are updated on the same day and are 99% accurate with mistakes being corrected soon.

Any specials or promotions they are having plus current scratch offerings.

Past drawing information going back at least 3 years with jackpot information for lotto style games.

I have noticed some sites are confusing while other sites are very well run. WA state's website is pretty good but they are slow on updating it. The Michigan website didn't really have a how to play or rules area that I could easily find. The British Columbia website is very good but they really push the online sales of tickets.

Just wondering what official websites people here like (we already know this one is good) 

United States
    Member #1826
    July 11, 2003
    2645 Posts
    Posted: September 2, 2006, 1:40 am - IP Logged

This is an important one in my opinion, draw videos both live and archived. Something I'd really like to see is a lottery putting every single drawing from inception on it's website. Sure it's a lot of bandwidth, but I think it's worth it for posterity's sake.

(insert signature here)

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10345 Posts
      Posted: September 2, 2006, 2:21 am - IP Logged

Some people here seem not to think much of it bit I like the Missouri lottery website.

Even has a number wizard (quick picks) and has plenty of administrative info on what to do if you win a jackpot. 

There's also a number search feature, you just pick the game and your numbers and it tells you if and when they've ever hit.  

And there's a fictional little town called Luckytown  

Smile

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
        Tennessee
        United States
        Member #7853
        October 15, 2004
        11338 Posts
        Posted: September 2, 2006, 2:39 am - IP Logged

i like virginia.you can look at past draws on video.they have every number drawn back to the 80's in its archives.they have stories of winners every day with pics included.really good all around.....

United States
          Member #41808
          June 22, 2006
          19 Posts
          Posted: September 2, 2006, 9:35 am - IP Logged

Some people here seem not to think much of it bit I like the Missouri lottery website.

Even has a number wizard (quick picks) and has plenty of administrative info on what to do if you win a jackpot. 

There's also a number search feature, you just pick the game and your numbers and it tells you if and when they've ever hit.  

And there's a fictional little town called Luckytown  

Smile

I also like the Missouri website for the number wizard and the info on what and where to go when you do - if ever- win big.  It would be nice if they would allow you to have access to all past numbers instead of just taking you to 1998 because the lottery started in 1985 or 86.Type

United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10345 Posts
            Posted: September 2, 2006, 1:52 pm - IP Logged

1985, no internet. Well, not available to everyone. That probably has a lot to do with it. 

Most likely just too labor intensive to post 14 years worth of lottery data from the past on websites that didn't even exist when the lotteries started.  Doing it day by day is one thing, that's quite another. 

Re: the Vrginia lottery site and the videos. That's pretty impressive. Somone a whil ago put up a thread about is there any way to get lottery results in the exact sequence the numbers were drawn in, I hope they see this thread. 

four4me's avatar - gate1
              MD
              United States
              Member #1701
              June 18, 2003
              8360 Posts
              Posted: September 2, 2006, 2:21 pm - IP Logged

what's wrong with this picture.

Frostburg Woman Wins $30K with 30 Hot Days of Summer Promotion

Congratulations to Carolyn Boykin of Frostburg. She won  $30,000 with the 30 Hot Days of Summer Promotion.
                Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23260 Posts
                Posted: September 2, 2006, 2:47 pm - IP Logged

Congratulations to Carolyn Boykin of Frostburg. She won  $30,000 with the 30 Hot Days of Summer Promotion.

Wouldn't that be hillarious if they really made a $20,000 mistake?  Maybe that's why she's smiling!

BTW, you have a very sharp eye to have caught that! Thumbs Up

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
                  FEMA Region V Camp #21
                  United States
                  Member #520
                  July 27, 2002
                  5699 Posts
                  Posted: September 2, 2006, 3:21 pm - IP Logged

That's hysterical!  I hope Carolyn ran to the bank with that big check and cashed it quick.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

four4me's avatar - gate1
                    MD
                    United States
                    Member #1701
                    June 18, 2003
                    8360 Posts
                    Posted: September 2, 2006, 5:04 pm - IP Logged

at this point it's hard to say which game she really won did she win the promotional game or the bonus match 5.

this is why i say every so often that the people whom work for the various lotteries are either under paid or could care less. When they posted the wrong picture with the wrong check. how hard could it have been for someone to fix it instead of posting it on their website like that. It makes them look bad. like they don't have it together. Where is the director dosen't he see these things or is he too busy counting all the money he makes for the state.

one good thing they took off the banner they had on their site it was some java script thing you had to wait until it loaded before the page would activate. Now their site loads faster than ever. 

every so often i catch these few mistake they make.

http://www.msla.state.md.us/  on the left side click winners.

I suspect also they people whom work there might be more excited than the winners are.

i wonder whom will take the blame for it when the sheeeee hits the fan.

Preppy's avatar - scene sunoverlake.jpg
                      Los Angeles County, CA
                      United States
                      Member #2161
                      August 24, 2003
                      30 Posts
                      Posted: September 6, 2006, 10:56 pm - IP Logged

“What official websites would people here consider good and what they look for in a website.”

I have looked at all the government lottery websites in the US, Australia, most of Latin America, and most of Europe. I look for any information on what a player should and should not do before and after a buying a ticket and/or winning the jackpot so I can avoid all the big mistakes. I also gathered all the information on tax rates and claim periods. When I travel, I try to avoid buying a lottery ticket in states or countries that tax out of state residents (non-residents). For example, when I am in New York City, it is better to take the train (PATH) into New Jersey and buy Mega Millions in New Jersey or take any other train outside of NYC into New York and buy new York lottery ticket.  New Jersey does not have a state tax. However, New York has a 7.7% state tax and NYC has an 4.5% city tax on lottery winnings in addition to the 7.7% state tax.

California’s web site is attractive and uncluttered. However, the web site is completely unhelpful about providing information on what a player should and should not do before and after a buying a ticket and/or winning the jackpot. According to California Lottery officials, individuals, (anti-lottery?), used to send hate mail and spam that would overwhelm the computer system.  As a result California Lottery officials disabled the e-mail address on its web site and it is extremely difficult to obtain information. All inquiries must be made by phone or fax.  Like Washington, California is also extremely slow to update the estimated jackpot after a drawing.

A few of the international websites are good, in particular those from English speaking countries, but most are awful.

In particular, I look for:

• Suggestion, forms, and agreements for group plays and pools;
                      • the tax rate for in-state and out of state residents;
                      • claim forms and tax forms;
                      • the names of attorneys, CPAs, financial advisors, and/or law firms that were hired by previous winners; and
                      • Frequently Asked Questions.

I consider the following websites to be good to excellent:

Mega Millions states

Michigan - IRS tax forms and links

Ohio - cash value calculator and the first to update the estimated jackpot for mega millions after a drawing.

Powerball States

Connecticut – used to have good tax information on partnerships, LLCs, and trusts

Iowa – excellent information (taxes -several cases; taxes in 2 states and other gov. debts.)

Missouri - (When You Win a Jackpot page); claim forms (lottery & IRS)

New Hampshire - (claim procedures); claim forms (lottery & IRS)

Pennsylvania - the biggest collection of FAQ

Other

International sites in Europe

Lottoreport – mega-millions sales by state; mega-millions sales vs. powerball sales

Delaware
                        United States
                        Member #30273
                        January 14, 2006
                        494 Posts
                        Posted: September 7, 2006, 12:33 am - IP Logged

It's a government job. No one will be blamed. Besides, larger numbers look better for players.

SIDEBAR: four4me, I take it you are a Stargate fan?

Delaware
                          United States
                          Member #30273
                          January 14, 2006
                          494 Posts
                          Posted: September 7, 2006, 12:38 am - IP Logged

“What official websites would people here consider good and what they look for in a website.”

I have looked at all the government lottery websites in the US, Australia, most of Latin America, and most of Europe. I look for any information on what a player should and should not do before and after a buying a ticket and/or winning the jackpot so I can avoid all the big mistakes. I also gathered all the information on tax rates and claim periods. When I travel, I try to avoid buying a lottery ticket in states or countries that tax out of state residents (non-residents). For example, when I am in New York City, it is better to take the train (PATH) into New Jersey and buy Mega Millions in New Jersey or take any other train outside of NYC into New York and buy new York lottery ticket.  New Jersey does not have a state tax. However, New York has a 7.7% state tax and NYC has an 4.5% city tax on lottery winnings in addition to the 7.7% state tax.

California’s web site is attractive and uncluttered. However, the web site is completely unhelpful about providing information on what a player should and should not do before and after a buying a ticket and/or winning the jackpot. According to California Lottery officials, individuals, (anti-lottery?), used to send hate mail and spam that would overwhelm the computer system.  As a result California Lottery officials disabled the e-mail address on its web site and it is extremely difficult to obtain information. All inquiries must be made by phone or fax.  Like Washington, California is also extremely slow to update the estimated jackpot after a drawing.

A few of the international websites are good, in particular those from English speaking countries, but most are awful.

In particular, I look for:

• Suggestion, forms, and agreements for group plays and pools;
                          • the tax rate for in-state and out of state residents;
                          • claim forms and tax forms;
                          • the names of attorneys, CPAs, financial advisors, and/or law firms that were hired by previous winners; and
                          • Frequently Asked Questions.

I consider the following websites to be good to excellent:

Mega Millions states

Michigan - IRS tax forms and links

Ohio - cash value calculator and the first to update the estimated jackpot for mega millions after a drawing.

Powerball States

Connecticut – used to have good tax information on partnerships, LLCs, and trusts

Iowa – excellent information (taxes -several cases; taxes in 2 states and other gov. debts.)

Missouri - (When You Win a Jackpot page); claim forms (lottery & IRS)

New Hampshire - (claim procedures); claim forms (lottery & IRS)

Pennsylvania - the biggest collection of FAQ

Other

International sites in Europe

Lottoreport – mega-millions sales by state; mega-millions sales vs. powerball sales

Correction about NYC: New York City cannot collect its personal income tax on non-residents. If you don't live there, you are not subject to its 4.5% city tax. The same is true for Washington DC.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                            MD
                            United States
                            Member #1701
                            June 18, 2003
                            8360 Posts
                            Posted: September 7, 2006, 1:07 am - IP Logged

It's a government job. No one will be blamed. Besides, larger numbers look better for players.

SIDEBAR: four4me, I take it you are a Stargate fan?

yes i like the stargate sg1 and Atlantis series.

makes you wonder when the dream up these shows if there isn't something going on behind our backs. like the technologies they use to move the show along. Using ancient Egypt as a pre cursor for the ancient civilization that may have or not been the cradle of civilization descended from some far of distant planet. Who knows what they may have discovered in the hieroglyphics wether or not our ancestors came from another planet. Even though the show is factious it's still has a good theme.

United States
                              Member #30470
                              January 17, 2006
                              10345 Posts
                              Posted: September 7, 2006, 2:38 am - IP Logged

RDC137:

Correction about NYC: New York City cannot collect its personal income tax on non-residents. If you don't live there, you are not subject to its 4.5% city tax. The same is true for Washington DC.

It was years ago but I lived in North Jersey and worked in Manhattan and NYC income tax came out of every check.