Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 11:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Good State Lottery websites

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Bradly_60.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Delaware
United States
Member #30273
January 14, 2006
494 Posts
Posted: September 7, 2006, 9:43 am - IP Logged

RDC137:

Correction about NYC: New York City cannot collect its personal income tax on non-residents. If you don't live there, you are not subject to its 4.5% city tax. The same is true for Washington DC.

It was years ago but I lived in North Jersey and worked in Manhattan and NYC income tax came out of every check. 

That was shot down by the New York state courts in 1998. NYC has been trying to pass a commuter tax since then, especially post-9/11 using that as the reason. The state ruled New York City's tax on non-residents unconstitutional, but allowed Yonkers to keep theirs. This is interesting because other major cities tax at least some of their wages.

Also, NYS lowered the top tax rate to 6.85% for this coming tax year. Pataki wants to look good for the farmers in Iowa when he runs for president.

Preppy's avatar - scene sunoverlake.jpg
    Los Angeles County, CA
    United States
    Member #2161
    August 24, 2003
    30 Posts
    Posted: September 7, 2006, 12:12 pm - IP Logged

RDC137 from Delaware:

Nice trick, however, you are comparing apples and oranges!!  Some states don’t tax lottery winnings, some only tax residents, while others tax residents and non-residents.  Of course Washington DC would not withhold taxes from non-residents. Washington DC and West Virginia tax residents, but do not tax non-residents, check out the FAQ section of the websites. Indiana, Maryland, New York, and New York City tax residents and non-residents, check out the FAQ section of the websites and also contact the revenue department of each state.

If you are a non-resident and the proceeds from the wager exceed $5,000 from the New York Lottery, the proceeds are considered New York source income and are subject to New York taxes. If you are a non-resident and the proceeds from the wager are $5,000 or less from the New York Lottery, the proceeds are not considered New York source income and are not subject to New York taxes.

Maryland (your neighboring state) states that “if your client receives winnings from Maryland lottery games, racetrack betting or gambling, income tax must be paid on the prize money. This would apply if your client was either a resident of Maryland or a nonresident.”

“If your client is a nonresident and received prize winnings from a Maryland source, compute the Maryland income tax by multiplying your client's gross winnings by a special nonresident tax rate of 6 percent (based on a combined rate of 4.75 percent and the lowest local income tax rate, which is 1.25 percent).”

In the case of California, California neither taxes residents nor taxes non-residents if they win a lottery that is played within the state of California. California does tax California residents on external lottery winnings (gambling winnings from another state).

Delaware
      United States
      Member #30273
      January 14, 2006
      494 Posts
      Posted: September 7, 2006, 2:57 pm - IP Logged

A few months ago I did a posting on which states tax vs. don't tax. Maryland taxes give me a headache, but I haven't had to pay any on anything. They, like NY and NJ, are considered a tax h***.

Delaware taxes lottery winnings the same as California, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. No tax for their own respective lotteries, but they will tax all others. That is why I will only play Powerball in Delaware (that plus the anonymous winners factor).

Preppy's avatar - scene sunoverlake.jpg
        Los Angeles County, CA
        United States
        Member #2161
        August 24, 2003
        30 Posts
        Posted: September 8, 2006, 1:13 am - IP Logged

A few months ago I did a posting on which states tax vs. don't tax. Maryland taxes give me a headache, but I haven't had to pay any on anything. They, like NY and NJ, are considered a tax h***.

Delaware taxes lottery winnings the same as California, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. No tax for their own respective lotteries, but they will tax all others. That is why I will only play Powerball in Delaware (that plus the anonymous winners factor).

The only way you can stay anonymous in California is to use a legal entity, but that is not guaranteed. I looked at your posting from a few months ago and this is some of the information I have:

No state tax on Lottery Winnings for residents or non-residents:
        Non –multi state lottery - Florida

Mega-Millions States - California, New Jersey, Texas, and Washington

Powerball States - Delaware, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, and US Virgin Islands

No state tax on Lottery Winnings for non-residents but state tax for residents:
        Mega-Millions States - none

Powerball States - Washington DC and West Virginia

State tax on Lottery Winnings for both non-residents and residents:

Mega-Millions States – Illinois, Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, New York, and  Virginia

Powerball States – Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico,

North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Vermont, and Wisconsin

Delaware
          United States
          Member #30273
          January 14, 2006
          494 Posts
          Posted: September 8, 2006, 9:26 am - IP Logged

Your information appears to be correct.

Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
            Atlantic Mine, Michigan
            United States
            Member #416
            June 23, 2002
            1614 Posts
            Posted: September 8, 2006, 9:33 am - IP Logged

Considering some problems with some official state websites I was wondering what official websites would people here consider good and what they look for in a website. I'd expect any state to have some basics:

Game rules/how to play

Daily results that are updated on the same day and are 99% accurate with mistakes being corrected soon.

Any specials or promotions they are having plus current scratch offerings.

Past drawing information going back at least 3 years with jackpot information for lotto style games.

I have noticed some sites are confusing while other sites are very well run. WA state's website is pretty good but they are slow on updating it. The Michigan website didn't really have a how to play or rules area that I could easily find. The British Columbia website is very good but they really push the online sales of tickets.

Just wondering what official websites people here like (we already know this one is good) 

" The Michigan website didn't really have a how to play or rules area that I could easily find."

Actually I find Michigan's website the best...no just because I live here.

If you click on the On-line game tab up in the left hand corner you will get the list of all the game and just click on the game and that is where all the information about the games are.

I also like how they tell you how many winners at every level or everyone single drawing that they conduct even Club Keno.  They also list the stores and cities that sell jackpot winning tickets which makes it interesting also.  I still haven't seen a state that does that yet.

Brad