Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 4:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Has This Ever Happened To You?

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 10 years ago by justxploring.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: September 8, 2006, 7:52 pm - IP Logged

Once in a while you'll hear this story:

"I have a friend who didn't play her numbers last week and she lost $20 million!" Some people swear it's happened to them.  "I forgot to buy a ticket last night and my numbers were drawn." The odds are so great, it almost seems unbelievable.

I realize my obsession with playing the same numbers isn't rational, but I haven't changed them in over 12 years.  I often think about changing games or buying quickpicks instead, but I keep remembering those horror stories. 

So, is there anyone on this board who can honestly say he/she would have won a jackpot but switched or forgot to play that night? 

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
    Mcminnville, Oregon
    United States
    Member #3013
    December 13, 2003
    3052 Posts
    Posted: September 8, 2006, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

That scenario has never happened to me.  When I started to play the lottery over 10 years ago I was faithful with the same numbers and did not hit much.  I realized that the numbers are in a state of constant change and it is true that if you play the same numbers you could easily hit a jackpot.  But it is also true that you could never hit a jackpot and for me I do not play that many numbers so I like to change my numbers every drawing.  If I keep a set of numbers it is no more than 2 weeks for Powerball and 5 weeks for Mega Millions.  Good luck with your numbers I hope they hit for you.-weshar75

Raven62's avatar - binary
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #17843
      June 28, 2005
      49784 Posts
      Posted: September 8, 2006, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

The numbers that I quit playing, 10 years ago, still haven't hit or even come close.

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
        Nova Scotia
        Canada
        Member #9934
        December 27, 2004
        884 Posts
        Posted: September 8, 2006, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

I have stopped playing some numbers and wondered if they could have been the jackpot. I fill out tickets slips  and keep some of them, put them away. I could have winning numbers and not know it. That would be disappointing if they had been winners and I didn't play them. I play different numbers every few weeks plus insta piks. If you feel good about some numbers keep playing them.

Beth

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
          Member #14
          November 9, 2001
          31358 Posts
          Posted: September 8, 2006, 9:30 pm - IP Logged

no - still waiting

love to nibble those micey feet.

Sunny California
            United States
            Member #40295
            May 31, 2006
            7712 Posts
            Posted: September 8, 2006, 9:46 pm - IP Logged

I used to play the same numbers too but quit. Years later they never showed up so what does that tell you? Change can be a good thing.

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
              Michigan
              United States
              Member #22395
              September 24, 2005
              1583 Posts
              Posted: September 8, 2006, 9:48 pm - IP Logged

That is a story I hope to never tell.

I forget my numbers 10 minutes after I check them!  So, I'll never know if they came in or didn't come in.

Big Smile

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10353 Posts
                Posted: September 8, 2006, 10:00 pm - IP Logged

I'm sure it really has happened to some people, but a lot more people than it really happened to tell such stories....would shoulda coulda

The clerks where we play told us that a guy that comes in everyday has been playing the same pick 3 for over 4 years and it hasn't hit....

Let's see, with a payout of $500 for $1 straight, and saying he plays just mid day or just evening, 365 x's 4 = 1,460....well, you get the idea...

"You're stuck $1,460 so far, chasing a $500 payoff"

"But these are my lucky numbers"

Green laugh

Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: September 9, 2006, 3:16 am - IP Logged

That is a story I hope to never tell.

I forget my numbers 10 minutes after I check them!  So, I'll never know if they came in or didn't come in.

Big Smile

A very good reason to buy a quickpick!  If I don't think about a number for a long time or play it more than once or twice, I'll probably forget it too. I think I'm stuck with these after 12 years, as crazy as it sounds. Crazy 

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
                    Member #9517
                    December 10, 2004
                    1272 Posts
                    Posted: September 9, 2006, 8:29 am - IP Logged

Once in a while you'll hear this story:

"I have a friend who didn't play her numbers last week and she lost $20 million!" Some people swear it's happened to them.  "I forgot to buy a ticket last night and my numbers were drawn." The odds are so great, it almost seems unbelievable.

I realize my obsession with playing the same numbers isn't rational, but I haven't changed them in over 12 years.  I often think about changing games or buying quickpicks instead, but I keep remembering those horror stories. 

So, is there anyone on this board who can honestly say he/she would have won a jackpot but switched or forgot to play that night? 

If she had played those numbers nothing says those numbers would have been drawn by the lottery company. Everything is just coincidences.

Coastal Georgia
                      United States
                      Member #2653
                      October 30, 2003
                      1866 Posts
                      Posted: September 9, 2006, 10:15 am - IP Logged

Good topic...

I have one full card ( 5 plays ) on the GA Fantasy 5 I have been playing for several years now without a 5 of 5. Several times 3 of 5, but not even one 4 of 5...

I don't play them every draw, but I see the numbers every day and I hope I don't see "my numbers" when I don't play them. That would be tough to swallow..

In retrospect, I wish I never continued playing them. I do better with QP's, but since they are memorized I have to play them....

DD

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
                        Michigan
                        United States
                        Member #22395
                        September 24, 2005
                        1583 Posts
                        Posted: September 9, 2006, 10:51 am - IP Logged

Justxploring

If you continue, maybe year 13 will be the lucky one.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19829 Posts
                          Posted: September 9, 2006, 11:05 am - IP Logged

Since I pick and check my numbers using a computer, I have a record of all the combinations I've played until I delete them.  Occasionally I recheck some of my old picks before I delete them and so far none would have won big if I had kept playing them.  I think the odds of having played a combination that would have won are not much better than the odds of playing a combination that will win.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
                            North Dakota
                            United States
                            Member #13397
                            April 5, 2005
                            1623 Posts
                            Posted: September 9, 2006, 12:06 pm - IP Logged

I guess this is "kinda" related to this topic.  One time about or year or so ago I played about $15 worth of QP's in Tennessee for Powerball.  I didn't win anything on those tickets in TN; however, I held on to them for some reason.  The following Tuesday I saw the Mega Millions numbers...  I would have matched 4/5 plus the megaball if I had played those numbers.  Needless to say I was pretty sick for the rest of the week after that one.  (Considering MM is played in GA which is less than 15 miles from where I live).

How are you going to win if you don't play?

Wandering Aimlessly
                              United States
                              Member #25360
                              November 5, 2005
                              4461 Posts
                              Posted: September 9, 2006, 1:14 pm - IP Logged

I guess this is "kinda" related to this topic.  One time about or year or so ago I played about $15 worth of QP's in Tennessee for Powerball.  I didn't win anything on those tickets in TN; however, I held on to them for some reason.  The following Tuesday I saw the Mega Millions numbers...  I would have matched 4/5 plus the megaball if I had played those numbers.  Needless to say I was pretty sick for the rest of the week after that one.  (Considering MM is played in GA which is less than 15 miles from where I live).

Actually, this is related and exactly what I mean. So take that sick feeling and multiply it by 12 years and think of how you'd feel if you stopped playing.  It's almost some form of addiction I suppose.  I keep thinking of the time I was in Vegas about 25 years ago and played roulette for a while. I must have lost $100 or more (in 1980 dollars) and bet on 22 several times. I got up when I had no chips left and heard "22!"  It was the very next spin.  I know the odds for a 6/53 game, and I doubt if my picks would hit if I change, but I don't know if I dare take the risk. Agree with DD about QPs. That's what I was planning to buy instead since every jackpot in FL has been won with a QP.  In one news release, a man who had been playing the same numbers since 1995 said he decided to buy a QP for the first time and he won.