Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 8:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Has This Ever Happened To You?

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 10 years ago by justxploring.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19830 Posts
Posted: September 9, 2006, 1:43 pm - IP Logged

I guess this is "kinda" related to this topic.  One time about or year or so ago I played about $15 worth of QP's in Tennessee for Powerball.  I didn't win anything on those tickets in TN; however, I held on to them for some reason.  The following Tuesday I saw the Mega Millions numbers...  I would have matched 4/5 plus the megaball if I had played those numbers.  Needless to say I was pretty sick for the rest of the week after that one.  (Considering MM is played in GA which is less than 15 miles from where I live).

Since they were "QP's", they weren't numbers you might have played the next time you played.  Had they been numbers you usually played whenever you played MM, you would have felt worst.  You were unlucky to be at the right place too early.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
    Harbinger
    D.C./MD.
    United States
    Member #44103
    July 30, 2006
    5583 Posts
    Posted: September 9, 2006, 9:21 pm - IP Logged

Once in a while you'll hear this story:

"I have a friend who didn't play her numbers last week and she lost $20 million!" Some people swear it's happened to them.  "I forgot to buy a ticket last night and my numbers were drawn." The odds are so great, it almost seems unbelievable.

I realize my obsession with playing the same numbers isn't rational, but I haven't changed them in over 12 years.  I often think about changing games or buying quickpicks instead, but I keep remembering those horror stories. 

So, is there anyone on this board who can honestly say he/she would have won a jackpot but switched or forgot to play that night? 

Hasn't happened to me, but quite possible, I mean if you didn't play it you never had it. Playing the same numbers over and over again in these games of chance is certainly an interesting point of discussion. I used to play the same ones over and over until the slips got unreadable.  Now I have a couple of similar combinations that I play across several games between D.C. and MD., then I throw in combinations that I change daily. I started doing this a couple of months ago and started hitting regularly, 2 of 5 3 of 5 and two 4 of 5's also hitting 3 of 6 and several 4 of 6 on the combinations that I create daily from my computer.  The thing is, it is work, time consuming work.  But this work is good exercise because it forces you to look more closely at what has been deveolping in the games.

What has happened to me more often than I even like to think about is on the 5 of 39 game in MD.  Bonus Match 5 several of my 4 out of 5 hits have missed the necessary 5th big money number by a digit; shoulda been a 33 instead of my 32 or shoulda been 18 instead of 19.  Last week I played 8597 straight for $10 guess what came up 8697! This truly drives me insane, I walk around for awhile saying "Why can't I hit this %$&*@ game". But you get over it and you keep on keepin' on cause it will come.

jarasan  US Flag LOL!

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
      FEMA Region V Camp #21
      United States
      Member #520
      July 27, 2002
      5699 Posts
      Posted: September 9, 2006, 9:22 pm - IP Logged

Buy it and forget it.  No worries.  Tomorrow's another day.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

NC
        United States
        Member #41968
        June 25, 2006
        16 Posts
        Posted: September 9, 2006, 11:50 pm - IP Logged

It has never happened to me. I guess I will be playing the same 3 sets of #s at Powerball till the day I die or until I hit The Big One.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: September 10, 2006, 2:22 pm - IP Logged

I just checked the news section on the FL Lottery site to see if Sat evening's winner bought a QP.  Yup!  So, as far as I know, every single big jackpot winner has won with a QP.  This is one of the reasons I started this thread. I know there have been many discussions about personal numbers vs quickpicks, but if I choose to buy some quickpicks I'll have to either spend more money or give up my personal numbers, something I hesitate to do.

Has anyone else followed their local news and noticed the same pattern? It just makes me wonder. The last 2 jackpots won were in my area. $6M to a pool of 16 nurses and now a $6 ticket in Port Charlotte which is about an hour north. That's where the big hurricane hit in 2004 and there are still blue tarps all over the area. Maybe a pool of Hurricane Charley victims won - that would be nice.  Well, congrats to the winner(s) whoever they are.

floridian's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing

United States
            Member #45802
            August 28, 2006
            335 Posts
            Posted: September 10, 2006, 3:48 pm - IP Logged

justxploring:

I wish I could say I was that close to winning but I can't even say that.  However, I will tell you a sad story about a almost.

I use to frequent a web site where a guy claimed he played all the time.  I believe it was the New Jersey Lottery.  One day he worked hard to come up with some numbers to play and when he did play them that night there were no winners.  When the next draw came he forgot to play the same numbers as he had intended, since he was out of the city.  He played some others.  Of course, his originals hit number for number and their were no winners that night either.  If he had played as he had intended he would have been the only winner and it was worth $3,000,000.  This was back in the late ninetys and three million was worth a lot more.  Obviously, not near as much as your 20 million dollar example but a nice chunk of cash anyway.

To this day he grieves over his loss and it apparently has had a profound effect on his life.  I know he needs to let go but it appears it is easier said than done.

Interesting post, makes one wonder about all the what if's in life.

I wish all your picks are winners and all your winners are monsters.

Floridian

nassaufinestguy's avatar - cigar
              nassau,bahamas.
              Bahamas
              Member #10537
              January 16, 2005
              277 Posts
              Posted: September 10, 2006, 3:51 pm - IP Logged

you have an idea whats hot for florida tonite.

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
                Nova Scotia
                Canada
                Member #9934
                December 27, 2004
                884 Posts
                Posted: September 10, 2006, 3:59 pm - IP Logged

Nancy,

Keep playing those numbers  that you always play. They could come up when you least expect it. I will play certain numbers, birthday numbers for example and a insta pik or as it's called in upper Canada and the U.S. a quick pick.  If you want to buy an extra ticket, if you can afford it, get a quick pick too, but keep playing those numbers if your instincts tell you too.

United States
                  Member #45802
                  August 28, 2006
                  335 Posts
                  Posted: September 10, 2006, 4:33 pm - IP Logged

justxploring:

This is really a good thread.  I want to reply one more time but this time about quick picks.

I know some guys that talk about the law of big numbers and swear that if you extract large amounts of numers from a personal RNG and do this several times you stand a better chance of winning than you do from buying a quick pick from your friendly lotto dealer.

The odds are approximately 22.5 million to one to win the Florida Lottery on a single pick 6.

You are correct that better than 50% of the time a quick pick wins.  This has been the case for several years now.  It also holds true for MegaMoney only the percentage is a little higher.  So I guess we can say that 1 out of 2 times we play, a quick pick would have been as good as the numbers we picked.

I happen to have a very good RNG and I sometimes use it for fun.  The guys tell me I should use it all the time if I play more than one ticket.  They said I should use the numbers I get from the RNG for at least one pick.

For what  it is worth here is the strategy:

1.  Set up the RNG to generate at least 10,000 combinations of 6 numbers each.

2.  Repeat the process but this time with 100,000 combinations.

3.  Again with 500,000 combinations.

4.  Several more times with varying sizes of combinations that suite you. Eventually you will arrive at your own strategy and combination amounts.

5.  Write down the last combination that is generated by each of these operations.

6.  Play how many you want.  This process gets you into the midst of the law of big numbers.

This action, so I am told will provide a much better mix than does the friendly lottery dealer's RNG originating from Tallahassee and is a truer random pick which tends to lower the odds.

Hey, remember I said for what it is worth.  I have a DOSS RNG virtually sitting on the shell and is capable of generating over 1 million 6 number combinations in less than 90 seconds.  So this process may be easier for me than other folks.

I wish all your picks are winners and all your winners are monsters

Floridian

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                    Harbinger
                    D.C./MD.
                    United States
                    Member #44103
                    July 30, 2006
                    5583 Posts
                    Posted: September 10, 2006, 6:39 pm - IP Logged

justxploring:

This is really a good thread.  I want to reply one more time but this time about quick picks.

I know some guys that talk about the law of big numbers and swear that if you extract large amounts of numers from a personal RNG and do this several times you stand a better chance of winning than you do from buying a quick pick from your friendly lotto dealer.

The odds are approximately 22.5 million to one to win the Florida Lottery on a single pick 6.

You are correct that better than 50% of the time a quick pick wins.  This has been the case for several years now.  It also holds true for MegaMoney only the percentage is a little higher.  So I guess we can say that 1 out of 2 times we play, a quick pick would have been as good as the numbers we picked.

I happen to have a very good RNG and I sometimes use it for fun.  The guys tell me I should use it all the time if I play more than one ticket.  They said I should use the numbers I get from the RNG for at least one pick.

For what  it is worth here is the strategy:

1.  Set up the RNG to generate at least 10,000 combinations of 6 numbers each.

2.  Repeat the process but this time with 100,000 combinations.

3.  Again with 500,000 combinations.

4.  Several more times with varying sizes of combinations that suite you. Eventually you will arrive at your own strategy and combination amounts.

5.  Write down the last combination that is generated by each of these operations.

6.  Play how many you want.  This process gets you into the midst of the law of big numbers.

This action, so I am told will provide a much better mix than does the friendly lottery dealer's RNG originating from Tallahassee and is a truer random pick which tends to lower the odds.

Hey, remember I said for what it is worth.  I have a DOSS RNG virtually sitting on the shell and is capable of generating over 1 million 6 number combinations in less than 90 seconds.  So this process may be easier for me than other folks.

I wish all your picks are winners and all your winners are monsters

Floridian

I have never won more than $2.00 with any lottery quickpicks, they are useless as far as I am concerned.  If 50% of the winners are QP'S there is a reason for this, point in case right now, Nobody has won PBALL or BEGFORMILLIONS [megamillions] for weeks, I've hit twice 3 of 5 in this  PBALL period and the PBALL this past wed. no thanks to QP'S.  I believe the reason people hit on QP'S is because of shear number of non-regular players that play when the jackpots get big, it is more likely that someone gets lucky with so many numbers RNG'D.  You can randomize a million combos and still not hit a number worth more than a $100.00! The game should be pari-mutual at least. 1 : 14,254 for 4 out of 5 for a hundred bucks, you are better off playing PICK 3 or PICK 4. These powerball people are making a killing while the regulars raise the jackpot hitting nothing & tiny hits, and sure enough, the pot gets big, someone who never plays because $10,000,000 isn't worth a doillar play, decides to play because now it's worth playing cause it's $120,000,000.00 is why the QP hits. 

Play games with better odds, case in point; last year a guy in D.C. played the same six numbers six times on a game called DC DAILY 6, it pays 250K for 6 of 39, guess what, he hit it.  He got the numbers from a fortune cookie several days earlier!  I call those CP'S [cookie picks],  what luck! I mean he could have stopped playing them at any time but for $6.00 a day it paid off. The odds for a 6 of 39 is 1 : 1,631,311  a lot better than 1 : 146,107,982 for 5 of 5 and the PBALL [ BEGFOR MILLIONS ODDS ARE RIDICULOUS].  Even the 5 of 55 is 1 : 3,563,606 for 200K it is a very tough nut to crack and not worth it, even if you  hit on  the multiplier.  Anyway, I hope someone who plays regularly hits either one of these big games. Hey, that sounds familiar,  big game, I've heard that name somewhere before, maybe they should call it The Big Game(s).  LOL

jarasan

United States
                      Member #45802
                      August 28, 2006
                      335 Posts
                      Posted: September 10, 2006, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

I have never won more than $2.00 with any lottery quickpicks, they are useless as far as I am concerned.  If 50% of the winners are QP'S there is a reason for this, point in case right now, Nobody has won PBALL or BEGFORMILLIONS [megamillions] for weeks, I've hit twice 3 of 5 in this  PBALL period and the PBALL this past wed. no thanks to QP'S.  I believe the reason people hit on QP'S is because of shear number of non-regular players that play when the jackpots get big, it is more likely that someone gets lucky with so many numbers RNG'D.  You can randomize a million combos and still not hit a number worth more than a $100.00! The game should be pari-mutual at least. 1 : 14,254 for 4 out of 5 for a hundred bucks, you are better off playing PICK 3 or PICK 4. These powerball people are making a killing while the regulars raise the jackpot hitting nothing & tiny hits, and sure enough, the pot gets big, someone who never plays because $10,000,000 isn't worth a doillar play, decides to play because now it's worth playing cause it's $120,000,000.00 is why the QP hits. 

Play games with better odds, case in point; last year a guy in D.C. played the same six numbers six times on a game called DC DAILY 6, it pays 250K for 6 of 39, guess what, he hit it.  He got the numbers from a fortune cookie several days earlier!  I call those CP'S [cookie picks],  what luck! I mean he could have stopped playing them at any time but for $6.00 a day it paid off. The odds for a 6 of 39 is 1 : 1,631,311  a lot better than 1 : 146,107,982 for 5 of 5 and the PBALL [ BEGFOR MILLIONS ODDS ARE RIDICULOUS].  Even the 5 of 55 is 1 : 3,563,606 for 200K it is a very tough nut to crack and not worth it, even if you  hit on  the multiplier.  Anyway, I hope someone who plays regularly hits either one of these big games. Hey, that sounds familiar,  big game, I've heard that name somewhere before, maybe they should call it The Big Game(s).  LOL

jarasan

Hey guy I am with you.  I only posted the stuff about the RNG strategy to be conversational.  It has a lot of holes in it at best.  Remember I said for what it is worth.

You are correct when you indicated that people probably buy more tickets when the pots get huge and win by luck more often than not.  Well, that's gambling and all of us are really working hard to find that miracle edge.

Some of my buds, who play on a regular basis, have hit many 4 out of 6 and several 5 out of 6.  Here in Florida those hits sometime pay some serious money.

However, I am like you I do like to play Cash3 as it is called in Florida.  But I can't help myself from playing the big game a couple of times a month for nothing more than to dream of what things could be.

I really hope all your picks are winners and your winners are monsters

Floridian

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                        Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: September 11, 2006, 11:49 am - IP Logged

Thanks everyone for participating in this thread.  I guess I'll continue playing my numbers for a while longer. Everyone has some good points, but if I change my system or play some quick picks, I'll have to spend more money unless I can somehow block out my numbers. (The way my memory's been lately, I'm surprised I can find my way home from the store!) I also agree that playing a game with lower odds might be smarter, since I haven't won anything in a long time. Floridian, either you have a lot of lucky friends or I'm very unlucky!  Getting 5/6 in the Florida Lotto game can pay well, as you wrote.  I wouldn't mind winning $7,000. However, I've never gotten 5 numbers and only got 4/6 twice in 12 years. Maybe this means my time is coming! 

I randomly googled some words and found that the Minnesota site has a lot of FAQs about PB. Although I don't play PB, the answers still apply to most games. Below in red is one of their answers to the question of whether a QP has any better odds. Interesting that multiples of 7 is the most common played.  I didn't realize they actually know what numbers people bet, but if they know the most commonly played combinations, they must have this information available. Maybe this has been discussed on LP in the past.

The percentage of quick-picks varies a great deal from game to game and also with the size of the jackpot. In Powerball, the quick-pick percentage normally runs about 70 percent, and about 70 percent of the winners are quick-pick players.

The bottom line is that how you pick your numbers has absolutely nothing to do with being a winner. The numbers 1-2-3-4-5*6 have exactly the same chance of winning as any other set of six numbers. The only thing is, if you pick your own numbers, and you base them on something logical, artificial or limiting (like dates), you are more likely to have to split the pari-mutuel jackpot prize because others may be using the same numbers. The most commonly played number combination is 7-14-21-28-35*42. If you won with that number, you would share the jackpot with many, many other players.