Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What was the deal with Powerball?

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 10 years ago by TheGameGrl.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #26330
November 16, 2005
330 Posts
Posted: September 21, 2006, 6:52 am - IP Logged

Was there a glitch in the system? I had another one of my sleepless nights and checked the Powerball website ever so often while I was surfing/chating.  They didn't post the rollover until around 6am EST. I figured since they were taking so long the jackpot had been won as that is usually the case.  Anyone know what happend?

Coastal Georgia
    United States
    Member #2653
    October 30, 2003
    1866 Posts
    Posted: September 21, 2006, 9:09 am - IP Logged

I don't know, but it was interesting that the first 2 numbers, 7 and 8 fell just like they did on the previous draw. 

DD

Maryland
      United States
      Member #35590
      March 20, 2006
      185 Posts
      Posted: September 21, 2006, 10:29 am - IP Logged

I don't know, but it was interesting that the first 2 numbers, 7 and 8 fell just like they did on the previous draw. 

DD

I got no comment...cause it always looks like I am the bad guy.......just read my mind!

LuckyGirl21's avatar - abstract
        North Carolina
        United States
        Member #45203
        August 16, 2006
        34 Posts
        Posted: September 21, 2006, 10:43 am - IP Logged

DD

Ain't that the truth.........seems funny if ya ask me....wish I would have played them again!!! It would of been a NICE birthday present for me!!!LOLBig Smile

DARE TO DREAM THE POSSIBILITIES!!!!

Party

PROUD TO BE A NORTH CAROLINA POWERBALL PLAYIN GAL!!!!!!!

United States
          Member #34266
          March 1, 2006
          188 Posts
          Posted: September 21, 2006, 10:45 am - IP Logged

I got no comment...cause it always looks like I am the bad guy.......just read my mind!

The odds of 7 and 8 coming up twice in two draws is astronomical!!  I got one number, so I guess the odds of that one number coming up in Saturdays draw is pretty good.  The good news is,  I don't have to waste my gas to go to PA to buy another ticket.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
            Member #41383
            June 16, 2006
            1969 Posts
            Posted: September 21, 2006, 1:19 pm - IP Logged

The odds of 7 and 8 coming up twice in two draws is astronomical!!  I got one number, so I guess the odds of that one number coming up in Saturdays draw is pretty good.  The good news is,  I don't have to waste my gas to go to PA to buy another ticket.

#7 I had pegged - and if you folks go look at history, it should have come as NO surprise to you, and if you want me to tell you why, PM me.

I would not have had #8 as a solid choice, but it's not too far-fetched either, if you look at it.  None of the numbers that hit surprised me.

I had a lot of things pegged in this game, beyond numbers, I had certain groups and scenarios nailed, but I cannot afford to play every scenario my statistics tell me to play.  That, and I didn't play the games my calcs told me to play, if I had, I would have had a 4/5, but it would have cost me $36 to get it, and even then, there is no guarantee. My limit is $10.

More lessons learned.

PS - they had the winning numbers posted at 11 p.m. CST, do you guys look at the Powerball Homepage ?  If so, go beyond that - click on 'Powerball Numbers' on the left side of the powerball.com website, that's where I see them.  The actual home page may just say 'results pending' all night long.

If you want to attend a PB drawing in-person, they are in Des Moines IA,  e-mail them, and they may invite you, they did me, I just have not gone to one yet.  

PSS - I will not be picking #7 or #8 in the next drawing, THAT would be astronomical, but not unheard of, there have been other 3-in-a-rows that have hit in the past.  #20 in May/June, #7 has done it, so has #45, #50, #32, #31, and #11 did it TWICE in two months.

Don't be too shocked, just go look at history. 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19825 Posts
              Posted: September 21, 2006, 1:27 pm - IP Logged

I'm reading you mind and I'm betting you're thinking it took that long to come up with a combination that had no winners or payed out the least, but the drawing was supposedly live.  I didn't see it so I can't swear to it.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Maryland
                United States
                Member #35590
                March 20, 2006
                185 Posts
                Posted: September 21, 2006, 1:52 pm - IP Logged

I'm reading you mind and I'm betting you're thinking it took that long to come up with a combination that had no winners or payed out the least, but the drawing was supposedly live.  I didn't see it so I can't swear to it.

You are just too good RJOHWink

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                  A long and winding road
                  United States
                  Member #17084
                  June 10, 2005
                  4525 Posts
                  Posted: September 21, 2006, 6:58 pm - IP Logged

the odds do NOT change contingent on the previous drawing. Thus why its a random ball drawing.

The combinations are equal each drawing . The numbers have the same weight in being pulled.

Heck the number 7 could be pulled again and it doesnt make it any more statistically advantageous. Its the luck of the draw and nothing more.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

NASHVILLE, TENN
                    United States
                    Member #33372
                    February 20, 2006
                    1044 Posts
                    Posted: September 21, 2006, 8:49 pm - IP Logged

I did see it.  I just  happened to be watching tv when the draw came on.  I thought there was no PB boardcast in Nashville.

Anyway, unless the draw was videotaped, the draw was legitimate.  The machines came on; the plunger dropped down; the plunger rose with a white ball atop; and there they were.

7-8-x-x-x.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                      Member #41383
                      June 16, 2006
                      1969 Posts
                      Posted: September 21, 2006, 8:50 pm - IP Logged

the odds do NOT change contingent on the previous drawing. Thus why its a random ball drawing.

The combinations are equal each drawing . The numbers have the same weight in being pulled.

Heck the number 7 could be pulled again and it doesnt make it any more statistically advantageous. Its the luck of the draw and nothing more.

I disagree.

What if #7 hits again, 3 in a row ?  Kinda rare, but not unheard of.

Would you continue to play #7 if it hit 3 times in a row ?  Why or why not ?

By chance, how long have you had Red Powerball #40 in play ?

Yes, it is random, but we are playing the 'best odds of randomness'.

#11 hit 3 times in a row - twice in two months, and now it's among the 'coldest' out there, but that doesn't mean I don't play it.

Did it use up its' 'luck' ?   I dunno, but I do know one thing - when I 'bet' against something - it hits. 

I DO agree with you - it is the luck of the draw, but I think a person can slant 'luck' SLIGHTLY in their favor.  This does not mean a person will win it next week or next year, but I think you can get in the ballpark a lot closer.  I know close doesn't count, but this is a game we all enjoy tinkering with. 

dingo's avatar - lottery of-birth.jpg
                        San Jose, California
                        United States
                        Member #42003
                        June 26, 2006
                        206 Posts
                        Posted: September 22, 2006, 4:06 am - IP Logged

I think even engineers who've designed that software have no ideas what numbers going to come next. All we can do is blame the randomness of computer. Let's just pick the winning number next times. Who knows #7 may come up again. I bet somebody will play #7, whereas some who get #7 on their quick pick gonna complain that #7 will not come out next draw.

---------------------

God never satisfied all people. Some lose, some win!

Honduras
                          Member #20982
                          August 29, 2005
                          4715 Posts
                          Posted: September 22, 2006, 10:09 am - IP Logged

petergrfn: does your name stand for peter griffin? the cartoon family guy? I thought about getting me that name too...Is cool name...either that or stewie...

Maryland
                            United States
                            Member #35590
                            March 20, 2006
                            185 Posts
                            Posted: September 22, 2006, 10:17 am - IP Logged

Yep....it just all happened randomly.....nice.....kool. Yep....I guess I am really stupid.

Saying the odds are the same that 7 and 8 will show up again twice in a row....does make it so. To be honest I get really ticked when people think we are stupid.....there are specific mathematical laws to randomness that will tell you that unless and external force is acting on this equation then you shouldn't be seeing what we are seeing. So saying a thousand times that a basball is square, doen't make it so.

What is clear is that....all balls do not weight the same.

It should also be understood that because the ball sets only go up to 56 balls...then even true randomness is not absolute but finite in the equation of the powerball and mega millions matrix.....and so you will have repeats of the same numbers, even the same pairs of numbers at times........but not like this...this is too obvious and blatant..........but then again, what do I know,...afterall I am stupid and just do as I am told...and nodd my head in agreement......hehehehe.....It's a "game" folks....enjoy the game.....we may differ in our views.......but I think we still enjoy bouncing our ideas and theories off one another. No hardfeelings here on my part......still waiting for the day when one of us actually get it done....instead of the fly-by-nighters who justget lucky(Yes jealously involved hereBig Smile)

Let's give it another shot.

United States
                              Member #26330
                              November 16, 2005
                              330 Posts
                              Posted: September 22, 2006, 10:24 am - IP Logged

Yep pumpi76 that's what the name stands for.  heaheha (trying to laugh like peter).  I was interested by the first 2 numbers coming up on two draws in a row. I'm guessing the numbers on Sat draw will be low numbers and will be close together.  1-2 or 4-5 then some numbers midrange numbers all under 30. That's my theory anyways. Don't tell anyone..hahaha. But I will probably get some QP's too.  Oh and I wasn't commenting on when the nubmers were posted on the Powerball website I was saying how they didn't announce the jackpot rollover until around 6am EST.  Usually when that happens it's been won or the post the rollover by 2 or 3 am EST.