Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:34 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What was the deal with Powerball?

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 10 years ago by TheGameGrl.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
NY
United States
Member #23835
October 16, 2005
3474 Posts
Posted: September 22, 2006, 2:19 pm - IP Logged

Yep....it just all happened randomly.....nice.....kool. Yep....I guess I am really stupid.

Saying the odds are the same that 7 and 8 will show up again twice in a row....does make it so. To be honest I get really ticked when people think we are stupid.....there are specific mathematical laws to randomness that will tell you that unless and external force is acting on this equation then you shouldn't be seeing what we are seeing. So saying a thousand times that a basball is square, doen't make it so.

What is clear is that....all balls do not weight the same.

It should also be understood that because the ball sets only go up to 56 balls...then even true randomness is not absolute but finite in the equation of the powerball and mega millions matrix.....and so you will have repeats of the same numbers, even the same pairs of numbers at times........but not like this...this is too obvious and blatant..........but then again, what do I know,...afterall I am stupid and just do as I am told...and nodd my head in agreement......hehehehe.....It's a "game" folks....enjoy the game.....we may differ in our views.......but I think we still enjoy bouncing our ideas and theories off one another. No hardfeelings here on my part......still waiting for the day when one of us actually get it done....instead of the fly-by-nighters who justget lucky(Yes jealously involved hereBig Smile)

Let's give it another shot.

<<Saying the odds are the same that 7 and 8 will show up again twice in a row....does make it so. To be honest I get really ticked when people think we are stupid.....there are specific mathematical laws to randomness that will tell you that unless and external force is acting on this equation then you shouldn't be seeing what we are seeing.>>

It sounds like you've got no idea what "random" actually means. Randomness is the exact reason that we see a lot of the things that some people think we shouldn't be seeing.

NY
    United States
    Member #23835
    October 16, 2005
    3474 Posts
    Posted: September 22, 2006, 2:53 pm - IP Logged

The odds of 7 and 8 coming up twice in two draws is astronomical!!  I got one number, so I guess the odds of that one number coming up in Saturdays draw is pretty good.  The good news is,  I don't have to waste my gas to go to PA to buy another ticket.

The probability of 7 and 8 coming up in consecutive drawings is about 1 in 15,000, but since it had to happen the first time for the second time to be noticeable, the probability is only 1 in 123. What's really astronomical is the odds that  dealing out the 52 cards from a standard deck of cards would result in the specific order you deal, but every time you do it you'll see that extremely unlikely result. If the 7 and 8 hadn't repeated this time people would simply be thinking it was unusual when a different set of numbers repeated in another week or two.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
      Member #41383
      June 16, 2006
      1969 Posts
      Posted: September 22, 2006, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

Does anyone here look at number history as a whole ?  Or just me ?

Numbers from the same game repeat more than you think, sometimes from the prior game, sometimes from 6 games ago, 12 games ago, even 25 games ago, but the facts are, it DOES happen.  It doesn't matter if it's from the prior game or from 25 games ago. Go look at the game from 5/17/2006 as the best example - it has 2 sets that repeated, and if you want, check out games from 8/16, 7/29, 6/3 to list a few.  Heck, on 8/26 we had two repeat from the prior game, but nobody said anything, my guess now is folks are rankled because #7 and #8 are close together, therefore more noticeable...  Nobody would have noticed if #42 would have repeated instead of #8.

Not too long ago #20 hit 3 times in a row, and in 4 out of 6 games, and has gone slightly out-of-favor since then. A bit before that, #20 had not hit in 35 straight games.  And most of us are aware of Red PB #40 - has not hit since October of 2004.  199 games.  Random ?

I only look at history since the last wholesale ballset change, and I don't look at history so much to help me predict what will happen, I use it to help me predict what is 'more' likely to NOT happen. 

If the lottery was not random, then that means it would be predictable.  But it's not predictable or we would have multiple winners every single drawing.  But we don't, therefore 'tis random. 

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
        PA
        United States
        Member #22983
        October 6, 2005
        2226 Posts
        Posted: September 22, 2006, 9:29 pm - IP Logged

Well this should give you a good idea of the odds. http://www.powerball.com/powerball/pb_nbr_search.asp

I think 7 and 8 have only ever came up together 3 times total so far, dating back to 1997.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
          A long and winding road
          United States
          Member #17084
          June 10, 2005
          4526 Posts
          Posted: September 22, 2006, 11:22 pm - IP Logged

Shane3- such thought patterns are common. Its common for a person who thinks its amazing if ya toss a coin and it comes up heads six times in a row! Same theory applies with the pulling of balls from a machine.  The fact is- the odds are 50/50 each time the opportunity to flip a coin exist.

One ball series of draws doesnt determine the next series is all I am saying. the odds stay the same. enough said.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014