Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 3:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Overseas gambling

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 10 years ago by four4me.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
Member #14
November 9, 2001
31343 Posts
Posted: October 3, 2006, 12:41 am - IP Logged

just withdrew a chunk of money from 5D.  they're saying we'll be able to keep gambling.

love to nibble those micey feet.

Parsons, Tennessee
    United States
    Member #45598
    August 24, 2006
    5 Posts
    Posted: October 3, 2006, 12:17 pm - IP Logged

Have you heard anything on betslips as to wether we can still play?

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
      Tennessee
      United States
      Member #7853
      October 15, 2004
      11338 Posts
      Posted: October 6, 2006, 1:23 am - IP Logged

i have a good thought.we all need to stick together on this.the first person who has problems relating to what we are discussing can just give a heads up to the rest of us so we will be ready in advance.everyone agree?

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
        Member #5344
        June 30, 2004
        23641 Posts
        Posted: October 6, 2006, 6:56 am - IP Logged

Cleaned out.. Closed.. Settled...

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

Kola's avatar - image
          Blundering Time Traveler

United States
          Member #28945
          December 25, 2005
          1527 Posts
          Posted: October 6, 2006, 10:10 am - IP Logged

Have you heard anything on betslips as to wether we can still play?

Hi Chevy.

This may help...If you look on the Betslips website - I think in the FAQ section, they explicitly say that Betslips is NOT a gambling service. Its a COURIER service. You give them your numbers and they help play for you, and you pay them for that help.

Now I don't know if the lawmakers will see it that way; Nevertheless, I'll continue to play. Nowadays, upon winning, I just withdraw the money as quickly as I can in case the plug is ever pulled for any trumped up reason.

Ciao.

Delaware
            United States
            Member #30273
            January 14, 2006
            494 Posts
            Posted: October 6, 2006, 11:06 am - IP Logged

Hi Chevy.

This may help...If you look on the Betslips website - I think in the FAQ section, they explicitly say that Betslips is NOT a gambling service. Its a COURIER service. You give them your numbers and they help play for you, and you pay them for that help.

Now I don't know if the lawmakers will see it that way; Nevertheless, I'll continue to play. Nowadays, upon winning, I just withdraw the money as quickly as I can in case the plug is ever pulled for any trumped up reason.

Ciao.

I'm pretty sure what Frist will say...

"LOCK 'EM UP!"

Kola's avatar - image
              Blundering Time Traveler

United States
              Member #28945
              December 25, 2005
              1527 Posts
              Posted: October 6, 2006, 1:35 pm - IP Logged

I'm pretty sure what Frist will say...

"LOCK 'EM UP!"

Ain't that the truth! After all, he has to start to collect the people's faith in his righteousness during his brewing bid to eventually run for the presidency.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23260 Posts
                Posted: October 6, 2006, 2:54 pm - IP Logged

Hi Chevy.

Ciao.

I think all the overseas web sites have the advantage of NOT being able to have the plugged pulled, so that would be the least of my concerns.  The two arrests in the USA of gambling CEOs (of which only one is still being prosecuted) are good examples of how the USA gov't has not been successful in shutting down their overseas businesses, and all the players' money in their accounts has been secure throughout.

There is an irrational panic that has spread throughout the USA players, but eventually people will calm down once they see that (a) this thing isn't even law yet, (b) once it is signed, it will be almost a year before Justice's interpretation is published, and (c) the bill does not make online gaming illegal (with the exception of sports betting, which was already illegal).  This is not the House bill that did attack online gambling.  This is a completely different bill, and far less restrictive.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                Help eliminate computerized drawings!

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                  Tennessee
                  United States
                  Member #7853
                  October 15, 2004
                  11338 Posts
                  Posted: October 6, 2006, 4:20 pm - IP Logged

i'm going to continue to play until the banks BLOCK transactions.it may never happen and i hope it doesn't but if it does then the party as we know it is OVER.

Kola's avatar - image
                    Blundering Time Traveler

United States
                    Member #28945
                    December 25, 2005
                    1527 Posts
                    Posted: October 6, 2006, 4:30 pm - IP Logged

I think all the overseas web sites have the advantage of NOT being able to have the plugged pulled, so that would be the least of my concerns.  The two arrests in the USA of gambling CEOs (of which only one is still being prosecuted) are good examples of how the USA gov't has not been successful in shutting down their overseas businesses, and all the players' money in their accounts has been secure throughout.

There is an irrational panic that has spread throughout the USA players, but eventually people will calm down once they see that (a) this thing isn't even law yet, (b) once it is signed, it will be almost a year before Justice's interpretation is published, and (c) the bill does not make online gaming illegal (with the exception of sports betting, which was already illegal).  This is not the House bill that did attack online gambling.  This is a completely different bill, and far less restrictive.

Thanks Todd.

The Justice's interpretation. Hmm...That should be interesting. Being that there is no precedent, they may legislate more so than interpret. I respect and appreciate the office of the Supreme Court, but with the make-up of the Court, the "interpretation" may not fall in favor of the gamblers. Or maybe it will. Who knows...just got to wait and see...

By nature I'm a relentless optimist! No irrational panic here

Chief Bottle Washer
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #1
                      May 31, 2000
                      23260 Posts
                      Posted: October 6, 2006, 4:30 pm - IP Logged

i'm going to continue to play until the banks BLOCK transactions.it may never happen and i hope it doesn't but if it does then the party as we know it is OVER.

That's not true.  If you want it to be over for you, then so be it, but I wish you'd stop pronouncing the end of all things just because you feel that way.  Other people may see your pronouncements and may not understand that other options will exist, and to think that other options will not exist is not being realistic.

Chief Bottle Washer
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #1
                        May 31, 2000
                        23260 Posts
                        Posted: October 6, 2006, 4:33 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Todd.

The Justice's interpretation. Hmm...That should be interesting. Being that there is no precedent, they may legislate more so than interpret. I respect and appreciate the office of the Supreme Court, but with the make-up of the Court, the "interpretation" may not fall in favor of the gamblers. Or maybe it will. Who knows...just got to wait and see...

By nature I'm a relentless optimist! No irrational panic here

I don't think it will get that far (Supreme Court). I think the Justice Department likes the fact that it is ambiguous right now, because it gives them wiggle room, allowing them to continue scaring people.  If the Supreme Court were to rule with finality that the Wire Act only covers sports betting they will lose their ridiculous interpretation of the law, and the flood gates will open.

FLORIDA
                          United States
                          Member #5364
                          July 1, 2004
                          88 Posts
                          Posted: October 6, 2006, 4:57 pm - IP Logged

I don't think it will get that far (Supreme Court). I think the Justice Department likes the fact that it is ambiguous right now, because it gives them wiggle room, allowing them to continue scaring people.  If the Supreme Court were to rule with finality that the Wire Act only covers sports betting they will lose their ridiculous interpretation of the law, and the flood gates will open.

Lord forbid that I could finally buy a Powerball or Mega subscription of my own free will......... I'll have to watch this over the next three years or so!

Kola's avatar - image
                            Blundering Time Traveler

United States
                            Member #28945
                            December 25, 2005
                            1527 Posts
                            Posted: October 6, 2006, 6:04 pm - IP Logged

"Ambiguity" is good. Works for me.  Yet the Justice Department calls their interpretation "broad" - giving it that nice all-encompassing appeal(wink).

Aw man, they're just too much - Funny stuff.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                              Member #14
                              November 9, 2001
                              31343 Posts
                              Posted: October 6, 2006, 7:30 pm - IP Logged

excellent article on this on bbc.com

love to nibble those micey feet.