Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 2:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Ridiculously low non-jackpot prize payouts have me fed up

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 10 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #379
June 5, 2002
11296 Posts
Posted: October 20, 2006, 10:45 am - IP Logged

The game that you should be complaining about (because of terrible non-jackpot prizes) is not Mega Millions or Powerball, but NY Lotto, which I call the world's biggest ripoff. Matching four numbers in Powerball wins $100, compared to $9 in NY Lotto on July 29, 2006.

Honduras
    Member #20982
    August 29, 2005
    4715 Posts
    Posted: October 20, 2006, 1:45 pm - IP Logged

The game that you should be complaining about (because of terrible non-jackpot prizes) is not Mega Millions or Powerball, but NY Lotto, which I call the world's biggest ripoff. Matching four numbers in Powerball wins $100, compared to $9 in NY Lotto on July 29, 2006.

I hate NY Lotto too I just forgot to post it...Also is italy superenalotto i think is called which is like 5 or 6 from 90...Yeah i hate New York lotto too, just forgot to mention it...Not only that but i dislike it because NY lotto doesn't pay a lot...

"Laura Simpson from Great Lakes, Illinois deserves to be rich..."          "She is so rare..."

johnph77's avatar - avatar
      CA
      United States
      Member #2987
      December 10, 2003
      832 Posts
      Posted: October 20, 2006, 4:49 pm - IP Logged

pumpi76 -

I'm not sure how Quick Picks are generated. There may be a Random Number Generator (RNG) in each terminal in stores but I'm thinking that they are just dumb terminals that signal the central computer to generate a random number, which, in turn, generates a certain combination. My reasoning is that when the system is down no terminal in any store can generate a ticket. If each terminal had an RNG this wouldn't happen. And duplicate combinations are generated in lotteries even when the total number of ticket sales for a given lottery are fewer than the total possible combinations.

Also, if the RNGs in the central computer work the same way as slot machines, that computer can generate hundreds, maybe thousands, of random numbers per second. The instant the terminal signals the central computer to generate a ticket, a certain random number is selected with the appropriate numeric combination. That information is returned to the terminal, which generates the printed ticket.

gl

j

Blessed Saint Leibowitz, keep 'em dreamin' down there..... 

Next week's convention for Psychics and Prognosticators has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

=^.^=

United States
        Member #9579
        December 12, 2004
        2121 Posts
        Posted: October 20, 2006, 7:50 pm - IP Logged

i'm just happy to be able to donate to lottery,so our property taxes can be so low for education,teachers,etc!

United States
          Member #9579
          December 12, 2004
          2121 Posts
          Posted: October 20, 2006, 7:55 pm - IP Logged

on randomness;only ramdom numbers are those selected from the numbers that no one has selected,then the lottery selects those numbers randomly,simple!

ayenowitall's avatar - rod serling4.jpg

United States
            Member #4416
            April 22, 2004
            1075 Posts
            Posted: October 20, 2006, 9:14 pm - IP Logged

The secondary prizes in games like PowerBall and MegaMillions are basically the undercard. The jackpot prize is the main draw. It's the huge edge taken on the secondary prize payouts that makes those giant jackpots possible. If you want bigger payouts for prizes comparable to the secondary prizes in a giant jackpot game, you should play scratch-offs and/or the daily games like Pick 3 and Pick 4. If you want to play for a giant jackpot, you'll just have to live with taking a beating on the secondary prize payouts. Personally, I think cashing any ticket is better than tearing it up. And I simply don't play the games which offer payouts that I don't like.

United States
              Member #9579
              December 12, 2004
              2121 Posts
              Posted: October 20, 2006, 11:15 pm - IP Logged

we have a 146,107,961 to 1 that our ticket will not be random.

NY
                United States
                Member #23835
                October 16, 2005
                3474 Posts
                Posted: October 21, 2006, 5:35 am - IP Logged

No.  It doesn't work that way.

If you can't do the math, just look at how it works now. 50% of sales goes directly to the state and 50% goes to prizes. 30% goes towards the jackpot, and 20% goes to the lower prizes. If it already takes 20% to pay the lower prizes, what do you suppose would happen if the lower prizes were all increased to 3 what they are now?