Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 12:55 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Florida Million Dollar Raffle Cool Marketing

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 10 years ago by justxploring.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
floridian's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing

United States
Member #45802
August 28, 2006
335 Posts
Posted: November 20, 2006, 11:42 am - IP Logged

They started selling the limited amount of raffle tickets this morning (1.125 million).  They have a thermometer on the web page showing the count down of ticket sales.  Really cool idea.  The tickets have only been available for a few hours and already they have sold over 115,00 or about 8.7% of the total tickets available or about 2.2 million dollars.

Man! at this rate they will be sold out in about 10 days.  Probably less cause people have not had a full day at this yet.

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
    ORLANDO, FLORIDA
    United States
    Member #4924
    June 3, 2004
    5896 Posts
    Posted: November 20, 2006, 12:52 pm - IP Logged

They started selling the limited amount of raffle tickets this morning (1.125 million).  They have a thermometer on the web page showing the count down of ticket sales.  Really cool idea.  The tickets have only been available for a few hours and already they have sold over 115,00 or about 8.7% of the total tickets available or about 2.2 million dollars.

Man! at this rate they will be sold out in about 10 days.  Probably less cause people have not had a full day at this yet.

floridan, I bought 10 this morning at my favorite Publix. Plan on purchasing another 10 when I stop at my favorite 7/11 this afternoon.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23267 Posts
      Posted: November 20, 2006, 12:55 pm - IP Logged

You're right, that's an excellent idea.  Looks like this:

remaining

ThermometerGreen bar

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
        Member #1826
        July 11, 2003
        2645 Posts
        Posted: November 20, 2006, 3:12 pm - IP Logged

Kind of like Mr. Hankey from South Park. He may wear a hat and have a face, but in the end, he's still a turd.

Just like this this raffle nonsense,  they may dress it up and make it look like a good deal, even giving it a neat thermometer. But when your facing 1 in 1,000, or in FL's case 1 in 10,000 odds for a whopping $20 chance, it's just like dressing up garbage.

Until they start getting some better overall odds, it's the biggest ripoff in America, even more than New York Lotto, and by no means is that a good deal. I expect better from Florida.

For an example of how a raffle-style game should be, check out how they do it in Australia.

(insert signature here)

United States
          Member #45802
          August 28, 2006
          335 Posts
          Posted: November 20, 2006, 4:10 pm - IP Logged

floridan, I bought 10 this morning at my favorite Publix. Plan on purchasing another 10 when I stop at my favorite 7/11 this afternoon.

I am with you CARBOB.  Many people think we are nuts but at my age let em laugh.  People I know and some at LP think the raffle idea is crazy and is just another ruse to take away money from Floridians who do not know any better.

I'll bet we can fine many many people who have plunked down $20.00 at one time for days on end in several states hoping to hit anything and don't.  So who is crazy?

I personally think it is fun and I like CARBOB have fared pretty well over the years doing raffles.  People who live in glass houses, well you know the rest.

F

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
            ORLANDO, FLORIDA
            United States
            Member #4924
            June 3, 2004
            5896 Posts
            Posted: November 20, 2006, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

I am with you CARBOB.  Many people think we are nuts but at my age let em laugh.  People I know and some at LP think the raffle idea is crazy and is just another ruse to take away money from Floridians who do not know any better.

I'll bet we can fine many many people who have plunked down $20.00 at one time for days on end in several states hoping to hit anything and don't.  So who is crazy?

I personally think it is fun and I like CARBOB have fared pretty well over the years doing raffles.  People who live in glass houses, well you know the rest.

F

And the bottom line is : Someone is going to win and it won't be me if I don't have a ticket.

United States
              Member #45802
              August 28, 2006
              335 Posts
              Posted: November 20, 2006, 6:00 pm - IP Logged

And the bottom line is : Someone is going to win and it won't be me if I don't have a ticket.

Amen brother!!!

F

stavros's avatar - avatar 6898.gif
                Florida
                United States
                Member #6147
                August 8, 2004
                1396 Posts
                Posted: November 20, 2006, 6:17 pm - IP Logged

Got my first ticekt today.  There will be more!

Good Luck!

Stavros

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                  Member #4877
                  May 30, 2004
                  5121 Posts
                  Posted: November 20, 2006, 6:45 pm - IP Logged

F

@@@@@@@@@@@..............................YOUR AGE???????????????

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

YOU.......................should HIT the PReeeeeeeNettttttttttAGREEmentPartyParty.................ODK.com

LOL

PSYKOMO 

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                    Member #4877
                    May 30, 2004
                    5121 Posts
                    Posted: November 20, 2006, 7:04 pm - IP Logged

@@@@@@@@@@@..............................YOUR AGE???????????????

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

YOU.......................should HIT the PReeeeeeeNettttttttttAGREEmentPartyParty.................ODK.com

LOL

PSYKOMO 

PartyLurkingPartyLurkingLovies

FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ODK.com

PartyPartyParty

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                      Chief Bottle Washer
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #1
                      May 31, 2000
                      23267 Posts
                      Posted: November 20, 2006, 7:52 pm - IP Logged

Kind of like Mr. Hankey from South Park. He may wear a hat and have a face, but in the end, he's still a turd.

Just like this this raffle nonsense,  they may dress it up and make it look like a good deal, even giving it a neat thermometer. But when your facing 1 in 1,000, or in FL's case 1 in 10,000 odds for a whopping $20 chance, it's just like dressing up garbage.

Until they start getting some better overall odds, it's the biggest ripoff in America, even more than New York Lotto, and by no means is that a good deal. I expect better from Florida.

For an example of how a raffle-style game should be, check out how they do it in Australia.

I disagree, I love the raffle games.  They make much, much better gifts than scratch-offs, IMHO.

BTW, that site you linked gave me a good laugh.  The phrase at the top of the page is, "The Pools has jackpotted to an estimated $295,000!"  The Pools has jackpotted?!  LOL

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                        Harbinger
                        D.C./MD.
                        United States
                        Member #44103
                        July 30, 2006
                        5583 Posts
                        Posted: November 20, 2006, 8:03 pm - IP Logged

JS9,

The aussie raffle lottery is like a 1:7 odds scratcher  $2.00 aussie (about $3.50 US) much better than most US scratch games. The MD. raffle started today $20.00 a ticket. I know you know about the machines. In the MD. game there is a new icon on the terminal for the game Countdown to Millions.  Here is the sticking point, in this game, if you accidently press 10 tickets for $20 each and press send, you just bought 10 $20 tix, there is no way to back out or cancel the order.  Typically if it a ticket sale of more than $40 it asks to confirm sale, this game doesn't.  LOL jarasan US Flag

United States
                          Member #379
                          June 5, 2002
                          11296 Posts
                          Posted: November 21, 2006, 3:55 pm - IP Logged

JS9,

The aussie raffle lottery is like a 1:7 odds scratcher  $2.00 aussie (about $3.50 US) much better than most US scratch games. The MD. raffle started today $20.00 a ticket. I know you know about the machines. In the MD. game there is a new icon on the terminal for the game Countdown to Millions.  Here is the sticking point, in this game, if you accidently press 10 tickets for $20 each and press send, you just bought 10 $20 tix, there is no way to back out or cancel the order.  Typically if it a ticket sale of more than $40 it asks to confirm sale, this game doesn't.  LOL jarasan US Flag

Maybe you meant A$3.50/US$2. The US dollar is more valuable than the Australian dollar.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                            Harbinger
                            D.C./MD.
                            United States
                            Member #44103
                            July 30, 2006
                            5583 Posts
                            Posted: November 21, 2006, 4:36 pm - IP Logged

Maybe you meant A$3.50/US$2. The US dollar is more valuable than the Australian dollar.

Yes.  You are correct there,  mate. jarasanUS Flag

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                              Wandering Aimlessly
                              United States
                              Member #25360
                              November 5, 2005
                              4461 Posts
                              Posted: November 22, 2006, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

I just came from Publix and the lady in customer service said they've been selling like crazy and people are buying 5 at a time.  I am trying to decide if I should look at it one of 2 ways:

(A) I need to save my money, pay off my debts and get back into the black, and I cannot afford to casually blow $20 on a single raffle ticket without putting myself deeper in the hole. So don't do it.

OR

(B) I just spent over $1,400 in one month at the dentist, my car died after buying 4 new tires and a new battery. Then I rented one for a week and finally had to buy another one, my DVD player broke, my blow dryer burned up, my pocketbook fell apart, the sole came off my shoes at work.....so what's wrong with spending another $200 bucks on a chance to win a million?  After all, it's all on credit anyway.

------ Decisions, Decisions, Decisions!! --------