Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 12:58 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The worst kind of lottery just over the horizon!!

Topic closed. 35 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Todd.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
Harbinger
D.C./MD.
United States
Member #44103
July 30, 2006
5583 Posts
Posted: November 20, 2006, 8:24 pm - IP Logged

OK since this is a lottery forum lets look at some odds. What are the odds that we'll have another 9-11? Let's say our odds result in a good hit,  another 9,000 dead American civilians.  What are the odds that we won't need a draft? Probably good.  Be intellectually honest with yourself.  What are the odds that the American people will unite like never before?  My guess is, they will like never before.  Maybe, sometime in the future we will realize that we are all in this together, just like when we got knocked upside the head in '41, when we trying to stay out of it.  Well, if you seen Adolf, Tojo, Stalin, Mussolini, Idi, Saddam, Castro, Mao, etc. in action, you ain't seen nothing. Watch Obsession if you get a chance. 

LOL  jarasan.  US Flag

Morrison, IL
    United States
    Member #4657
    May 13, 2004
    1884 Posts
    Posted: November 20, 2006, 9:30 pm - IP Logged

I do remember back in the 2004 elections that John Kerry warned us about a reinstatement of the draft (due to the war in Iraq) if we voted for Bush. However, I think Kerry would have pulled the plug on Iraq if he were President.

New Jersey
      United States
      Member #21206
      September 4, 2005
      949 Posts
      Posted: November 20, 2006, 10:30 pm - IP Logged

It is true that rich connected people will be able to avoid the draft.  George W. Bush got to have a drinking binge in the Alabama National Guard.  Dick Cheney didn't go to Vietnam because he "had other priorities."  Rush Limbaugh got out of the draft because he had anal cysts.

The fact is that everybody loves a war fought with other people's bodies.

Charlie Rangle is a Korean War Vet.  He was awarded the Purple Heart and the Bronze Star.  He was subject to the draft, as was I.    He served his country four years, from 1948 to 1952 and was, as his medals indicate, in combat.

Dick Cheney - who did not serve, who never thought of serving - and George W. Bush - who is not even known to have shown up for the bull evasion stint his daddy got him - are intellectual and moral cowards.  They dragged our country into an unnecessary war based on lies while ignoring the enemy who actually attacked our country. 

Did anyone here ever hear of Osama bin Laden?  No? 

I remind everyone that even while George's daddy is still trying to bail him out of his puerile screw-ups (James Baker indeed) still that the waiting list to get into the Air National Guard during the Vietnam War was six years long.  You really had to know someone to get in, and of course Georgie, the big warrior, did know somebody.

Our depleted and severely damaged military is being cycled into a civil war in which Americans had no dog to hunt - even if Halliburton had a dog to hunt - and it is extremely telling that the same people who cheered this moral absurdity are now trying to claim its Charlie Rangle's fault.  If things are so wonderful, why are National Guard units - who are supposed to protect people from national emergencies, like say, Katrina, being sent for a third tour?  Is that not a compulsion like a draft.

Of course this is typical of the type of moral cowardice and evasion that has characterized this whole affair.  The American people have the attention spans of lemons.  It takes a draft to make them think.

I am relieved that Charlie Rangle has courage, even if his detractors don't. 

I love to see you all squirm.  You deserve it. 

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10355 Posts
        Posted: November 20, 2006, 10:51 pm - IP Logged

It always comes down to the troops on the ground, grunts. Pilots and grunts fight the wars, and no matter how the recruiting statistics are played with to make it look like quotas are being met, there are never enough volunteers to be grunts. 

Prolonged wars are fought by grunts.

When there is an all volunteer force, the attitude of the public is, "Well, that's what they volunteered for" (Not always true - people did not volunteer so Draft-Dodger-In-Chief Clinton could take the people's minds off of his impeachment by bombing the Balkans). 

When everyone has a family member who just might be drafted and committed to some emgagement, somewhere, the very same public gets a lot more concerned about where and why.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
          Member #14
          November 9, 2001
          31369 Posts
          Posted: November 20, 2006, 11:08 pm - IP Logged

It is true that rich connected people will be able to avoid the draft.  George W. Bush got to have a drinking binge in the Alabama National Guard.  Dick Cheney didn't go to Vietnam because he "had other priorities."  Rush Limbaugh got out of the draft because he had anal cysts.

Charlie Rangle is a Korean War Vet.  He was awarded the Purple Heart and the Bronze Star.  He was subject to the draft, as was I.    He served his country four years, from 1948 to 1952 and was, as his medals indicate, in combat.

Dick Cheney - who did not serve, who never thought of serving - and George W. Bush - who is not even known to have shown up for the bull evasion stint his daddy got him - are intellectual and moral cowards.  They dragged our country into an unnecessary war based on lies while ignoring the enemy who actually attacked our country. 

I remind everyone that even while George's daddy is still trying to bail him out of his puerile screw-ups (James Baker indeed) still that the waiting list to get into the Air National Guard during the Vietnam War was six years long.  You really had to know someone to get in, and of course Georgie, the big warrior, did know somebody.

Our depleted and severely damaged military is being cycled into a civil war in which Americans had no dog to hunt - even if Halliburton had a dog to hunt - and it is extremely telling that the same people who cheered this moral absurdity are now trying to claim its Charlie Rangle's fault.  If things are so wonderful, why are National Guard units - who are supposed to protect people from national emergencies, like say, Katrina, being sent for a third tour?  Is that not a compulsion like a draft.

Of course this is typical of the type of moral cowardice and evasion that has characterized this whole affair.  The American people have the attention spans of lemons.  It takes a draft to make them think.

I think I love you!!!    Bravo!!!!!

love to nibble those micey feet.

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
            FEMA Region V Camp #21
            United States
            Member #520
            July 27, 2002
            5699 Posts
            Posted: November 20, 2006, 11:30 pm - IP Logged

Amen. 

"Bring it on".   (Just don't bring it my way) seems to be the flavor of the day.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10355 Posts
              Posted: November 20, 2006, 11:59 pm - IP Logged

"It is true that rich connected people will be able to avoid the draft."

That's usually the case but not always. After I joined I was still 17 and not old enough to go to Viet Nam yet, so was stationed at Ft Bragg in the 82nd Airborne until then.

We had a guy in our unit who had been in Viet Nam in the 173rd Airborne. He was from Maryland and his name was Agnew.   

Do "the math". 

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
                Wisconsin
                United States
                Member #1303
                March 27, 2003
                1508 Posts
                Posted: November 21, 2006, 7:32 am - IP Logged

Wow, I had totally forgotten about that.  Thanks for reminding me.  I suspect the mainstream media has also forgotten.

It's pretty much a dead issue now, according to the morning radio. Pelosi has issued a statement saying that any such legislative draft will never make it to the floor of Congress.

Obviously she sees what a large can of worms this would be.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

WIN  D's avatar - q05Q0
                  Stone Mountain*Georgia
                  United States
                  Member #828
                  November 2, 2002
                  10491 Posts
                  Posted: November 21, 2006, 9:17 am - IP Logged

Talk about your big "cop outs" during war.

Here's one of those Rich ....Slacker's now !  Went through the entire war in a couple of back water battle areas.....and never even got to Japan!

Plus..... he spent the entire war in the "Navy Reserve." He wasn't even regular Navy for goodness sake.  Slackers .....  

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/10/26/wpow26.xml&sSheet=/news/2003/10/26/ixworld.html

The only real failure .....is the failure to try.                               

Luck is a very rare thing....... Odds not so much. 

Odds never change .....but probability does. 

Win d    

silky's avatar - nw gingblade.jpg

United States
                    Member #30181
                    January 13, 2006
                    298 Posts
                    Posted: November 21, 2006, 9:40 am - IP Logged

I'm wondering if Charlie cut his finger opening his can food like Kerry did to get  his purple heart, I heard of bin when Clinton was in office getting all the blow job , and I even found out that it's not even sex. I have two brothers over there and were to come home in July, but they didn't and can't .  as for nam, MOST of them did drugs, not seeing crap except for what they imagine { do to the drugs they took }. and the ones that seen it all , didn't come home . That's the facts JACK.

United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10355 Posts
                      Posted: November 21, 2006, 10:18 am - IP Logged

I'm wondering if Charlie cut his finger opening his can food like Kerry did to get  his purple heart, I heard of bin when Clinton was in office getting all the blow job , and I even found out that it's not even sex. I have two brothers over there and were to come home in July, but they didn't and can't .  as for nam, MOST of them did drugs, not seeing crap except for what they imagine { do to the drugs they took }. and the ones that seen it all , didn't come home . That's the facts JACK.

Excuse me silky but I was one of "them" in 'Nam, did not do drugs, was in the infantry, got hit and spent a year in the hospital. not because of anything I imagoined but because of some little chaps in black pj's and rubber sandals with AK47's and Chicom grenades and 122mm rocket launchers.

Our unit went over from Ft Campbell to join the Brigade that was already there......only 10% of us made it back.

As far as "that's a fact, Jack", you obviously don't have any facts.

As it says over a map of Viet Nam in the Viet Nam Veteran's  halls,

"If you weren't there, shut the **** up about it." 

United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10355 Posts
                        Posted: November 21, 2006, 10:32 am - IP Logged

tntea

floridian stated in the OP that "The worst kind of lottery is just over the horizon"

The way the draft was conducted while Viet Nam was going on was called a lottery, people were called up when their birth date was drawn. 

WinD

That was some story! Good find, thanks for the link.  

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
                          FEMA Region V Camp #21
                          United States
                          Member #520
                          July 27, 2002
                          5699 Posts
                          Posted: November 21, 2006, 10:33 am - IP Logged

In '70 and '71 there was a national lottery for potential draftees based on their birthdays.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                            Member #5344
                            June 30, 2004
                            23641 Posts
                            Posted: November 21, 2006, 10:36 am - IP Logged

tntea

floridian stated in the OP that "The worst kind of lottery is just over the horizon"

The way the draft was conducted while Viet Nam was going on was called a lottery, people were called up when their birth date was drawn. 

WinD

That was some story! Good find, thanks for the link.  

ok.. thanks..

must be the way to get my numbers drawn. lol

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

United States
                              Member #30470
                              January 17, 2006
                              10355 Posts
                              Posted: November 21, 2006, 10:55 am - IP Logged

Thanks Rick G, I knew the lottery wasn't for the whole time of 'Nam but wasn't sure exactly when.

tntea

Good idea...ok, everybody posting in this thread, what day of the month were you born? Might be good fro a Pick 5 game or something

(don't want to violate Gail Howard's rules and play nothing but birthdates for a Pick 6)

I'll "open" - 14.