Welcome Guest
You last visited August 20, 2017, 11:08 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Making new friends.

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 11 years ago by kandi44.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Do you think it would be hard to make new friends after winning the lottery?

yes [ 13 ]  [31.71%]
no [ 14 ]  [34.15%]
maybe [ 7 ]  [17.07%]
unsure [ 1 ]  [2.44%]
may even lose the friends I have now. [ 6 ]  [14.63%]
Total Valid Votes [ 41 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
Member #4121
March 23, 2004
817 Posts
Posted: November 21, 2006, 12:50 am - IP Logged

I vote yes.  I think it would be hard. 

Party

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: November 21, 2006, 3:26 am - IP Logged

This is a difficult question to answer with a general response.  Of course the size of the jackpot matters, but so do many other things, i.e., the winner's social background and personality.  I think it would be harder to keep one's current circle of friends, for example, if most of the people he goes out with are from work and struggling to eke out a living. It might feel uncomfortable to go out for a beer or a pizza. I wonder if everyone would expect you to pick up the tab.  I don't think I'd have a problem making new friends because I would move to a place where nobody knows me.

floridian's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing

United States
      Member #45802
      August 28, 2006
      335 Posts
      Posted: November 21, 2006, 4:33 am - IP Logged

This is a difficult question to answer with a general response.  Of course the size of the jackpot matters, but so do many other things, i.e., the winner's social background and personality.  I think it would be harder to keep one's current circle of friends, for example, if most of the people he goes out with are from work and struggling to eke out a living. It might feel uncomfortable to go out for a beer or a pizza. I wonder if everyone would expect you to pick up the tab.  I don't think I'd have a problem making new friends because I would move to a place where nobody knows me.

Yes, it would be.  I voted you would probably lose some you already had and gain some you probably do not want.

Not only would everyone expect you to pick up the tab but would expect you to give them some of it with no strings attached.  I guess it is just human nature at work.  I am not condemning all humans but I have read too much about the demise of lottery winners not to believe some of it takes place. 

I agree it is dependant probably on the size of the jackpot and your personality.  An old mean spirited person like me might stand a chance but it would not be easy.  But guess what, I sure would like the chance to try.  Man, what a problem to have to deal with.  Do not throw me in the brier patch.

F

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
        Member #47420
        November 4, 2006
        3930 Posts
        Posted: November 21, 2006, 7:07 am - IP Logged

I don't know about new friends but probably the friends you have will probably change..You just will not be able to do the right thing in some peoples minds with a lot of winnings.Some friends you will not make happy if you don't give them money.That's my opinion..

Surge's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
          Ohio
          United States
          Member #46493
          September 11, 2006
          4211 Posts
          Posted: November 21, 2006, 8:02 am - IP Logged

Yes, it would be.  I voted you would probably lose some you already had and gain some you probably do not want.

Not only would everyone expect you to pick up the tab but would expect you to give them some of it with no strings attached.  I guess it is just human nature at work.  I am not condemning all humans but I have read too much about the demise of lottery winners not to believe some of it takes place. 

I agree it is dependant probably on the size of the jackpot and your personality.  An old mean spirited person like me might stand a chance but it would not be easy.  But guess what, I sure would like the chance to try.  Man, what a problem to have to deal with.  Do not throw me in the brier patch.

F

"I voted you would probably lose some you already had and gain some you probably do not want."  Very true!!

I agree with Floridian... you would find out who your "true friends" are.

Keep it simple 

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
            Member #5344
            June 30, 2004
            23641 Posts
            Posted: November 21, 2006, 10:39 am - IP Logged

I dont' there will be a problem. 

I have no trouble making friends.  Why would a few extra bucks make a difference?

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

Raven62's avatar - binary
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #17843
              June 28, 2005
              64901 Posts
              Posted: November 21, 2006, 11:08 am - IP Logged

Now that you're a MegaMillionaire or a PBMillionaire: You could become: A friend of those that have no friends.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Lotto Czar's avatar - sam
                Harrisburg, Pa.
                United States
                Member #3093
                December 23, 2003
                233 Posts
                Posted: November 21, 2006, 11:38 am - IP Logged

I voted no, it would not be hard to make friends because these so-called new friends would actually be making you.  In other words, there would probably be people just crawling out of the woodwork after you, saying they are your friend.  Look at Jack Whitaker in West Virginia.  As Bud Bundy (son of Al) says: Money can't by love, but it sure can rent a lot of it!"

I've had some experience, although by not hitting the lottery, but by having a woman (one step from welfare) fall in love with me.  Turned out, she was just after my checkbook so to speak, since she figured that since I made 3 times as much as her, I should share it.  Worse, she thought she should just move in and take it, Figuring she could make more in Pa than in South Virginia..  I could go on, but the moral of the story is to choose your friends carefully.  Do you buy them, rent them, or are they really your friends, and why?

Oh, andon that same line; substitue the word friends for relatives.  You'll be surprised how many you didn't think you'd have.  [your mother's third cousins nephews sister inlaws uncle--he needs hep with his car.  Like payments on a new one]

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
                  Member #4121
                  March 23, 2004
                  817 Posts
                  Posted: November 21, 2006, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

Now that you're a MegaMillionaire or a PBMillionaire: You could become: A friend of those that have no friends.

I love your post.  So true.

Big Grin Angel

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                    Mcminnville, Oregon
                    United States
                    Member #3013
                    December 13, 2003
                    3391 Posts
                    Posted: November 21, 2006, 6:36 pm - IP Logged

I do not plan on making new friends with my lottery winnings.  I already have a few friends that I know and we keep in touch.  I would not be looking for new friendships because I would not know if the person is being real or if they are looking for a hand out.  I have family and people that I know that would think my winnings entitles them to some but the bottom lines is I control me.  I do not need or want to know any more people than I have to know now.-weshar75

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                      Member #14
                      November 9, 2001
                      31615 Posts
                      Posted: November 21, 2006, 7:18 pm - IP Logged

I do not plan on making new friends with my lottery winnings.  I already have a few friends that I know and we keep in touch.  I would not be looking for new friendships because I would not know if the person is being real or if they are looking for a hand out.  I have family and people that I know that would think my winnings entitles them to some but the bottom lines is I control me.  I do not need or want to know any more people than I have to know now.-weshar75

I can count my good friends on one hand - lots of acquaintances - but good friends are precious. 

love to nibble those micey feet.

Bryan's avatar - Lottery-002.jpg
                        Mid-Missouri
                        United States
                        Member #644
                        August 31, 2002
                        4271 Posts
                        Posted: November 21, 2006, 7:37 pm - IP Logged

You know, you don't have to tell anybody you won the lottery... That way you get to see what kind of people a person really is and then later if you continue to have a friendship with this person or people then you can tell them you have a boat load of cash...Naughty

The Show " How the lottery changed my life" was on again last night and a 21 year old kid (wise beyond his years) says he tells no one until he knows the person for quite awhile. He was in the middle of making a movie (a hobby he wanted to pursue) and the other producers of the film thought he had a silent financial backer. They had no idea he had money himself. They were well into the production before he told them otherwise. (yeap, one smart feller he is)

Bryan  :)

freeport bahamas
                          Bahamas
                          Member #46427
                          September 10, 2006
                          63 Posts
                          Posted: November 22, 2006, 10:41 pm - IP Logged

well i look at it like this ,you should know who had your back when you were down and out and who was there when you had nothing , those are the persons i would throw a little something too,  those other fly by nighters, who only know you when they need you,i would ask them one thing, if i didnt come into this money , would you have come here to ask or bother me for help ? , no you would go to george , or clinton  or anyone else except me, so now is the time for you to act like im broke and you go and bother someone else, or i could purchase that shotgun i never had , and sit on my porch and practice my skeet shooting,  im out of those disk"s so the first senseable person to set foot on my porch, well as they say, its time to start practice,,,DunkBashBed

Wandering Aimlessly
                            United States
                            Member #25360
                            November 5, 2005
                            4461 Posts
                            Posted: November 26, 2006, 8:32 pm - IP Logged

F

If you're mean spirited, I'd hate to run into a genuine misanthrope!  If you win a lot of money and you're concerned about meeting new people, you can use me as a guinea pig. (but I still expect you to pick up the tab!)

Wink

Wandering Aimlessly
                              United States
                              Member #25360
                              November 5, 2005
                              4461 Posts
                              Posted: November 27, 2006, 1:55 am - IP Logged

If you're mean spirited, I'd hate to run into a genuine misanthrope!  If you win a lot of money and you're concerned about meeting new people, you can use me as a guinea pig. (but I still expect you to pick up the tab!)

Wink

I usually don't respond to my own posts hours later, but I worded that last comment incorrectly. (is there a "duh?" smiley?)  I meant it as a compliment to Floridian, meaning you sound like a nice person. Sometimes there's an electrical short from the signals that travel from my brain to my fingers.