Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 1:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What is up with MM/PB

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 10 years ago by bitrunner.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
Atlantic Mine, Michigan
United States
Member #416
June 23, 2002
1614 Posts
Posted: December 2, 2006, 9:27 am - IP Logged

What has been up with these games.  These games have always produced big jackpots but now it seems like it doesn't roll more than a couple times.  I can't remember the last time either game was at $100+ million, can you?  I mean it has been months.  I can't remember when the jackpots were won so many times at such small levels.  I miss playing these games and getting into lottery mania when the jackpots get really high.  What do you guys think?

Brad

United States
    Member #379
    June 5, 2002
    11296 Posts
    Posted: December 2, 2006, 9:49 am - IP Logged

At least for today (12/2), Hot Lotto has the highest jackpot in the US. Too bad it's not near you.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
      Member #2338
      September 17, 2003
      2063 Posts
      Posted: December 2, 2006, 9:51 am - IP Logged

Powerball has been struggling since North Carolina joined. Mega has been struggling since it's inception as it's current game. Without a price increase or some other change I'd get used to the idea that large jackpots for either game are a thing of the past.

Eventually Euromillions will hold all 10 of the top 10 record jackpot amounts unless they add Germany or some other large country without changing the odds. 

United States
        Member #34266
        March 1, 2006
        188 Posts
        Posted: December 2, 2006, 10:02 am - IP Logged

Jackpots could be smaller because the number of  people playing has decreased.    I know quite a few people who have just stopped playing because of the odds, and they play scratchers instead.    I think they should increase the payout for getting the mega ball, from $2 to $5.   

Morrison, IL
          United States
          Member #4657
          May 13, 2004
          1884 Posts
          Posted: December 2, 2006, 12:14 pm - IP Logged

No, players are just getting luckier. If nobody thought they could win jackpots under $100 million, the lotteries would go out of business. After all, do you play to win, or to raise the jackpot?

United States
            Member #16612
            June 2, 2005
            3493 Posts
            Posted: December 2, 2006, 1:50 pm - IP Logged

It's strange that both MM and PB won consecutive jackpots within a three day period. PB won their jackpot on Wednesday while MM won their jackpot on Friday.

Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
              Atlantic Mine, Michigan
              United States
              Member #416
              June 23, 2002
              1614 Posts
              Posted: December 2, 2006, 2:05 pm - IP Logged

It's strange that both MM and PB won consecutive jackpots within a three day period. PB won their jackpot on Wednesday while MM won their jackpot on Friday.

Lately this has been happening quite a bit.  PB will have the lead (not really but according to their annuitize structure) for the first two to three drawings but then MM starts to beat the jackpot of PB.  Well maybe 2007 will be a year of big jackpots.

Brad

fbird's avatar - nw archer.jpg
                White Lake,Mi
                United States
                Member #1495
                May 12, 2003
                5546 Posts
                Posted: December 2, 2006, 2:14 pm - IP Logged

I guess you have to ask yourself a question......do I really care if it's 12,20,40 or 200 million....just so long as I win...lol. Lets put it this way ...I if play, it is to win....not to build up the jackpot!!!!!!!!

VAL

Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me: I may not follow.

Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Albert Camus

four4me's avatar - gate1
                  MD
                  United States
                  Member #1701
                  June 18, 2003
                  8361 Posts
                  Posted: December 2, 2006, 2:24 pm - IP Logged

I agree that it's the luck of the draw any jackpot can be won at any level. the fact that the odds are astronomical are mute. it all depends on whom does or not have the winning ticket.

If in fact the most winners are with q picks it stands to reason there might be high and low pots which are won. many times when the jackpot grows it seem as though it's more about the money ball than anything else. Some of the people get 5 white balls but not the money ball on a weekly basis.

he or she who has all 5 balls and the money ball wins. Let it be me!

NY
                    United States
                    Member #23835
                    October 16, 2005
                    3474 Posts
                    Posted: December 2, 2006, 3:02 pm - IP Logged

Powerball has been struggling since North Carolina joined. Mega has been struggling since it's inception as it's current game. Without a price increase or some other change I'd get used to the idea that large jackpots for either game are a thing of the past.

Eventually Euromillions will hold all 10 of the top 10 record jackpot amounts unless they add Germany or some other large country without changing the odds. 

As long as you use a reasonable definition of "large jackpot" we should expect plenty of them in the future with the game running just as it does now. The average size of jackpots will always be a function of the odds and  the amount of each ticket that goes toward the jackpot. With odds of 175 million to one we can expect the long term results to be one winning ticket for every 175 million tickets that are sold. With 30 cents of each ticket going toward the jackpot we can expect the long term average for jackpots to be about $52 million. Because drawing results are random and the combinations that are played are somewhat random, individual jackpots will sometimes be less than the average and sometimes they'll be more than the average. You can't have jackpots of $300 million without also having jackpots of $12 million.

We all know that with the curent odds and $1 tickets there are already plenty of players who don't buy tickets until  the jackpot has rolled a few times.  We can fantasize all we want about what we could do with the net from winning a jackpot that's hyped as $400 million, but raising the odds or the cost of a ticket isn't going to create more regular lottery players, but it is a great way to reduce ticket sales.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                      Mcminnville, Oregon
                      United States
                      Member #3013
                      December 13, 2003
                      3051 Posts
                      Posted: December 2, 2006, 3:15 pm - IP Logged

I was looking at the history of 2006 winners in Powerball and up till now their have been 10 winning jackpots and 11 winners because one jackpot recently was split.  Out of those winning jackpots half of them exceeded the $100 million annuity.  Out of the half 2 were in the $100 million range, 3 were in the $200 million range and their was 1 that was over $300 million.  I think though because the jackpots happened in the first half of 2006 players tend to forget that fact.  Kind of what has Powerball do for me lately.  It usually works out though over the course of a lottery year that their will be both high and low jackpots.  Just one may have a better year than the other because it is a cycle.-weshar75

California
                        United States
                        Member #46824
                        October 1, 2006
                        270 Posts
                        Posted: December 2, 2006, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

As long as you use a reasonable definition of "large jackpot" we should expect plenty of them in the future with the game running just as it does now. The average size of jackpots will always be a function of the odds and  the amount of each ticket that goes toward the jackpot. With odds of 175 million to one we can expect the long term results to be one winning ticket for every 175 million tickets that are sold. With 30 cents of each ticket going toward the jackpot we can expect the long term average for jackpots to be about $52 million. Because drawing results are random and the combinations that are played are somewhat random, individual jackpots will sometimes be less than the average and sometimes they'll be more than the average. You can't have jackpots of $300 million without also having jackpots of $12 million.

We all know that with the curent odds and $1 tickets there are already plenty of players who don't buy tickets until  the jackpot has rolled a few times.  We can fantasize all we want about what we could do with the net from winning a jackpot that's hyped as $400 million, but raising the odds or the cost of a ticket isn't going to create more regular lottery players, but it is a great way to reduce ticket sales.

KY Floyd....quick question, wouldn't the average jackpot of $52 million be the cash value?  That equates to about $87 million for the advertised jackpot. 

BTW, a reasonable jackpot for me would be the one I win. 

New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #21206
                          September 4, 2005
                          949 Posts
                          Posted: December 3, 2006, 12:30 am - IP Logged

In the first 4 months of 2006, MM produced 2 jackpots of more than $260M, annuity, paying $160M in cash and $149M in cash.  Each of these pots took more than 2 months to build.

Statistically, these jackpots are very unlikely.  The model I've developed indicates that from start of a run, it has a 51% chance of rolling 7 times.

The actual length of MM runs in 2006 thus far is 7.6, meaning the MM lottery is being won slightly less than expected.

There are bound to be big jackpots, and there are bound to be stretchs with lots of winners.

This year the MM lottery paid out over $660M in cash prizes (not annuity prizes), with $310M of that devoted to just two prizes.

California
                            United States
                            Member #46824
                            October 1, 2006
                            270 Posts
                            Posted: December 4, 2006, 12:28 pm - IP Logged

In the first 4 months of 2006, MM produced 2 jackpots of more than $260M, annuity, paying $160M in cash and $149M in cash.  Each of these pots took more than 2 months to build.

Statistically, these jackpots are very unlikely.  The model I've developed indicates that from start of a run, it has a 51% chance of rolling 7 times.

The actual length of MM runs in 2006 thus far is 7.6, meaning the MM lottery is being won slightly less than expected.

There are bound to be big jackpots, and there are bound to be stretchs with lots of winners.

This year the MM lottery paid out over $660M in cash prizes (not annuity prizes), with $310M of that devoted to just two prizes.

Prob988....question on your comment on the length of runs thus far in 2006 fo MM.  My tracking shows for 2006 there have been 15 runs, begining at the first of the year (January 3rd at 12 million).  My tracking shows the average run to be 6.3.  This tracking does not include the current run.  I am defining a run as inculding all draws, for example the last jackpot for $40 million had 5 draws, would also could be described as a run of 5.  Is this how you are calculating your numbers?

New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #21206
                              September 4, 2005
                              949 Posts
                              Posted: December 4, 2006, 12:51 pm - IP Logged

Prob988....question on your comment on the length of runs thus far in 2006 fo MM.  My tracking shows for 2006 there have been 15 runs, begining at the first of the year (January 3rd at 12 million).  My tracking shows the average run to be 6.3.  This tracking does not include the current run.  I am defining a run as inculding all draws, for example the last jackpot for $40 million had 5 draws, would also could be described as a run of 5.  Is this how you are calculating your numbers?

I am sorry, but my post includes an error.  My figure refers to all MM draws since the matrix change to the new format, and not just the figures in 2006.

It is probably true that my number is a better one to use since the sample size is larger.