Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 10:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Leaving Lottery Post (LP)

Topic closed. 34 replies. Last post 10 years ago by DoubleDown.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

If you won a big jackpot, would you leave LP?

Yes [ 7 ]  [5.79%]
No [ 59 ]  [48.76%]
Not Sure [ 10 ]  [8.26%]
No, but I would keep my big win a secret. [ 19 ]  [15.70%]
No, and I would tell LP members I won. [ 14 ]  [11.57%]
Are you kidding?Yes LP members would hound me too! [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
I'd stay, like the members. [ 12 ]  [9.92%]
Total Valid Votes [ 121 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
prosperity$'s avatar - Lottery-043.jpg

United States
Member #47591
November 13, 2006
380 Posts
Posted: January 9, 2007, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

never ,ever,ever,/my new hobby

Drum White BounceHello my lottery family/may *****Pro$perity***** help us all /through gods blessings/love,respect ,good luck and great gambling to all*******$$cc$$$*********    "I love dem doubles"PartyJack-in-the-Box

Lotterologist's avatar - lightbulb
    Lotto City, Michigan
    United States
    Member #36256
    March 30, 2006
    1472 Posts
    Posted: January 9, 2007, 7:09 pm - IP Logged

No.

The Lottery Post is like Hotel California. You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave!  Wink

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23267 Posts
      Posted: January 9, 2007, 7:45 pm - IP Logged

Perhaps I am just greedy or maybe I just look at numbers a bit differantly. For me, a "BIG" jackpot would require at least 1 more zero ($10,000,000 PLUS).

Simply put, anything less then that is pretty much precommited in my mind. For example, with the MegaMillions at $122,000,000, the Cash payout would only be around $66,000,000 with after tax value of roughly around $30,000,000.

I would set aside roughly $5,000,000 for basic home repairs, remodeling as well as a few expansions I am interested in (just not sure how to talk the Wife into letting me do those modifications to her house), while another $3,000,000 would be earmarked for several of our favorite charities. Of course, since I would have paid off all my debts, I would have to set up at least $2,000,000 in an escrow to make sure taxes and insurance on the house was kept up. Then, I would probably sit aside $2,000,000 for my daughter so she could finish her education and keep her bills paid. Finally, the remaining $18,000,000 would be split between my wife and I to invest how we see fit whereas I would put roughly $8,000,000 into at least 18 to 24 decent long term growth and income stocks to insure future income while protecting the principle. And the remaining $1,000,000 would be used to dabble in stock options.

So yeah, I would probably stay if I hit big cause by time I got done, I would be just as poor afterwards as I was before I started. But hey, that's just how I think.

That was actually pretty interesting to hear how you'd split up your $30 Mil.  I kinda laughed when I heard the $5M for home repairs.  That's one leaky house!  LOL

Maybe I'll start a new topic thread like this.  I hope you don't mind if I copy and paste your text.  I'd love to hear how everyone else would split it up, using the same kind of breakdown.  (Minimum of $1M chunks.)

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

SirMetro's avatar - center
        East of Atlanta
        United States
        Member #6191
        August 11, 2004
        1389 Posts
        Posted: January 10, 2007, 11:41 am - IP Logged

That was actually pretty interesting to hear how you'd split up your $30 Mil.  I kinda laughed when I heard the $5M for home repairs.  That's one leaky house!  LOL

Maybe I'll start a new topic thread like this.  I hope you don't mind if I copy and paste your text.  I'd love to hear how everyone else would split it up, using the same kind of breakdown.  (Minimum of $1M chunks.)

Well, do need a new roof since it was built in like 5 stages, BUT, the $5M would also cover the following;
        New Insulated Metal Roof,
        New Commercial AC system for the house (I like having a 65 degree year round house),
        Dedicated AC system for the Pool Room (yes, the pool is already indoors, just would be nice to completely enclose it and keep it temperature controlled year round),
        a pool water heating system (would have to be electric since our neighborhood does not have gas),
        Refinish the pool room (includes insulating the walls and building a second level that would house changing rooms and showers),
        complete and expand the stainless steel bar I have in the pool room with a refrigeration system, ice maker and margarita maker as well as stock it with all my favorites (Crown Royal Select with it’s own dedicated freezer to keep it cool),
        Convert the current garage to a play room complete with a stainless steel pool table,
        replace all the kitchen appliances with stainless steel and rework the kitchen/dining room area as well as the Mother-in-law suite (currently not in use),
        add a 5 car garage with enclosed breeze way to the house,
        replace my current 120 gallon salt water aquarium with a 2,000 gallon in-wall aquarium as well as install a dedicated purification system in combination with a real-time digital light system to recreate natural light as well as a complete night light system to allow easier viewing of the tank life at night,
        refurbish wife's pin-ball machine (an original with Rod Sterling actual voice track),
        re-carpet entire house,
        redo ceilings and repaint all the walls,
        install a perimeter light system at the ceiling,
        replace tub with something much nicer,
        put in wood and tile floorings in various areas,
        replace current recliners (then duct tape the cats paws so they can't scratch my furniture),
        install self-concealing wireless computer centers (I like to play online too much),
        replace 60" widescreen for a special customized 8 foot wide screen system that would have no less then 3 digital projectors (something that could eventually evolve into a 3-dimensional video system) along with the latest in sound technology,
        completely redesign the entire yard, landscape, driveway entry along with an outdoor pond system with a built-in fountain (along with a smart predator deterrent system)

So you see, my wish list is not only numerous, it is relatively expensive as well (the pool table I want lists for $300,000) and $5M is probably a very conservative estimate.

But hey, if your going to dream, dream big, it gives you incentive to try harder.

Sir Metro

Oh darn, almost forgot, and go to DISNEYWORLD weeeeee

Coastal Georgia
          United States
          Member #2653
          October 30, 2003
          1866 Posts
          Posted: January 10, 2007, 4:36 pm - IP Logged

Well, do need a new roof since it was built in like 5 stages, BUT, the $5M would also cover the following;
          New Insulated Metal Roof,
          New Commercial AC system for the house (I like having a 65 degree year round house),
          Dedicated AC system for the Pool Room (yes, the pool is already indoors, just would be nice to completely enclose it and keep it temperature controlled year round),
          a pool water heating system (would have to be electric since our neighborhood does not have gas),
          Refinish the pool room (includes insulating the walls and building a second level that would house changing rooms and showers),
          complete and expand the stainless steel bar I have in the pool room with a refrigeration system, ice maker and margarita maker as well as stock it with all my favorites (Crown Royal Select with it’s own dedicated freezer to keep it cool),
          Convert the current garage to a play room complete with a stainless steel pool table,
          replace all the kitchen appliances with stainless steel and rework the kitchen/dining room area as well as the Mother-in-law suite (currently not in use),
          add a 5 car garage with enclosed breeze way to the house,
          replace my current 120 gallon salt water aquarium with a 2,000 gallon in-wall aquarium as well as install a dedicated purification system in combination with a real-time digital light system to recreate natural light as well as a complete night light system to allow easier viewing of the tank life at night,
          refurbish wife's pin-ball machine (an original with Rod Sterling actual voice track),
          re-carpet entire house,
          redo ceilings and repaint all the walls,
          install a perimeter light system at the ceiling,
          replace tub with something much nicer,
          put in wood and tile floorings in various areas,
          replace current recliners (then duct tape the cats paws so they can't scratch my furniture),
          install self-concealing wireless computer centers (I like to play online too much),
          replace 60" widescreen for a special customized 8 foot wide screen system that would have no less then 3 digital projectors (something that could eventually evolve into a 3-dimensional video system) along with the latest in sound technology,
          completely redesign the entire yard, landscape, driveway entry along with an outdoor pond system with a built-in fountain (along with a smart predator deterrent system)

So you see, my wish list is not only numerous, it is relatively expensive as well (the pool table I want lists for $300,000) and $5M is probably a very conservative estimate.

But hey, if your going to dream, dream big, it gives you incentive to try harder.

Sir Metro

Oh darn, almost forgot, and go to DISNEYWORLD weeeeee

Now THAT's a man with a plan !!!

Go get em....