Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

To my fellow LP members

Topic closed. 31 replies. Last post 10 years ago by ayenowitall.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
California
United States
Member #46824
October 1, 2006
270 Posts
Posted: December 18, 2006, 2:31 pm - IP Logged

I do agree with you CASH, there should be at the very least an option of a lump sum cash payout.  I believe OH used to be the same way, someone correct me if I'm wrong.  Not too long ago in Ohio you had to specify at the time of the ticket purchase whether or not you wanted the "cash option", and that option was printed on the ticket.  If you didn't specify then you would be locked into an annuity if the jackpot was won.  Again, someone correct me if I'm wrong, this is just what I remember.

Surge...the rule in Ohio is you have 60 days from the date of your claim to choose cash or annuity.  There are two Mega Million states (Texas and New York) that say you must choose cash or annuity at time of purchase.

Good information on this topic is on the USA Mega Web Site under Mega Millions FAQ and the question "After I buy a ticket, can it be changed from annuity to a cash option?"

What caused the different ways states treat this situation was an IRS ruling a few years back that allowed a lottery winner 60 days to select cash or annuity after winning.  Each state then chose their own way to handle the situation.  Texas and New York didn't change, some states (Massachusetts for example) made the selection timeframe 60 days from the date of the drawing, while others (such as California and Ohio) made the selection timeframe 60 days from the date you file your claim.  In every state where you have a choice, should you not select within the 60 day window then the jackpot will be an annuity.

Surge's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
    Ohio
    United States
    Member #46493
    September 11, 2006
    4173 Posts
    Posted: December 18, 2006, 5:43 pm - IP Logged

Surge...the rule in Ohio is you have 60 days from the date of your claim to choose cash or annuity.  There are two Mega Million states (Texas and New York) that say you must choose cash or annuity at time of purchase.

Good information on this topic is on the USA Mega Web Site under Mega Millions FAQ and the question "After I buy a ticket, can it be changed from annuity to a cash option?"

What caused the different ways states treat this situation was an IRS ruling a few years back that allowed a lottery winner 60 days to select cash or annuity after winning.  Each state then chose their own way to handle the situation.  Texas and New York didn't change, some states (Massachusetts for example) made the selection timeframe 60 days from the date of the drawing, while others (such as California and Ohio) made the selection timeframe 60 days from the date you file your claim.  In every state where you have a choice, should you not select within the 60 day window then the jackpot will be an annuity.

Oh, I forgot OH was Mega Millions now.  I was referring to when OH had Super Lotto. 

Will Ohio still be a part of the Mega Millions game when we get the Lotto Classic in January?

Keep it simple 

United States
      Member #379
      June 5, 2002
      11296 Posts
      Posted: December 18, 2006, 5:50 pm - IP Logged

Oh, I forgot OH was Mega Millions now.  I was referring to when OH had Super Lotto. 

Will Ohio still be a part of the Mega Millions game when we get the Lotto Classic in January?

Of course Ohio will still have MM. In fact, MM is better than Ohio Classic Lotto (just as MM is better than        Lot O'Play) because the cash value of the MM annuity floats, while the percentage of Ohio Classic Lotto will be 50%. Ohio stiffs lump-sum winners of in-state games, but not MM cash value winners.

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
        Clarksville
        United States
        Member #487
        July 15, 2002
        17638 Posts
        Posted: December 18, 2006, 5:57 pm - IP Logged

Sorry, I like annuities.. checks coming the mail which actually means I have to manage my money..not let it manage me.

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

Delaware
          United States
          Member #30273
          January 14, 2006
          494 Posts
          Posted: December 18, 2006, 6:36 pm - IP Logged

Georgia and New Jersey also require pre-selection.

California
            United States
            Member #46824
            October 1, 2006
            270 Posts
            Posted: December 18, 2006, 7:08 pm - IP Logged

Georgia and New Jersey also require pre-selection.

rdc137.... both New Jersey and Georgia offer pre-selection, i.e. you make a selection of cash or annuity when purchasing your ticket.

The USA MEGA site says Georgia is 60 days from the claim date and New Jersy is 60 days from the drawing date for selecting cash or annuity option.  Do you know if once you claim your winnings are you offered the chance to change your option, if within the time limit in either of these states?

United States
              Member #379
              June 5, 2002
              11296 Posts
              Posted: December 18, 2006, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

rdc137.... both New Jersey and Georgia offer pre-selection, i.e. you make a selection of cash or annuity when purchasing your ticket.

The USA MEGA site says Georgia is 60 days from the claim date and New Jersy is 60 days from the drawing date for selecting cash or annuity option.  Do you know if once you claim your winnings are you offered the chance to change your option, if within the time limit in either of these states?

GA and New Jersey allow annuity choosers to change their minds. But NY and Texas do not. If you choose annuity in NY or Texas, you're SOL.

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                Magnolia, Delaware
                United States
                Member #18795
                July 20, 2005
                789 Posts
                Posted: December 19, 2006, 12:42 am - IP Logged

Nearly 50,000 members are proud to call LotteryPost.com their home; technically, we now comprise an "army." Is there one among our numbers who isn't at least remotely acquainted with Cash Only's position on annuity payments?

Probably not; he was making his views very clear even before I joined up: He doesn't like annuity payments, and he believes games which don't offer a cash option are inherently unfair.

Now, you all know how much I hate posting an opinion that might be unpopular or, Heaven forbid, one that might hurt someone's feelings. If you know I hate it, then you also know I'm gonna do it anyway, so here goes:

Personally, I decline to accept CASH Only's apology, because I don't believe he owes me one. 

If he's guilty of anything, it's refusing to be silenced; we can only convict him of exercising the very small voice he has in legislating such matters.

Close your eyes for a minute (well, read this first ...) and imagine that we ALL felt that same level of passion for the same issue. Now imagine that we all felt that way at the same time.

Suddenly, our voice isn't so small, is it? (This plays a lot better if you imagine me slowly waving the American flag against a fade-out background of majestic mountains and grain fields and stuff; the music will just start automatically ...)

I applaud CASH Only's untiring efforts. He does what he can do to keep this issue alive by essentially forcing us to think about it every time we see his screen name. There is nothing written in the Sacred Scrolls (rules page) mandating that we must read Cash Only's posts. When someone sees "jim695" on the homepage, he probably assumes that I've posted yet another boring diatribe on the subject of the Hoosier Lottery. When we see "LOTTOMIKE," there's a good chance we'll have the opportunity to cast a vote. It's a form of branding, I guess; we ALL have our buttons, and we all have issues we're passionate about. 

We're running a little short on tolerance, though. Rather than criticize and attack each other for our individual views, opinions or obsessions, would it be so much more difficult to support and encourage the intelligent discussion of those concerns? Even when we disagree (it's been known to happen here), the very concept of the word, "community" demands that we have the good sense to realize and accept that certain issues are more important to our neighbor than they might be to the rest of us. If we can't accept that, then we can't truly call ourselves a "community," and we certainly wouldn't dare call ourselves an "Army;" an army is capable of achieving complete unity.

Military imagery aside, let's look at CASH Only's posts from, say, six months ago. He didn't really seem to have much to say, except for what everyone already knows. His posts from that time and previous were very succinct and pretty much devoid of any real meat. Jump ahead a few months and he finally begins to explain a few things, and supporting his arguments rather than simply and constantly defending them. I think this alone speaks volumes in support of my LP.com "community" theory. After all these years, he has finally reached a point where he feels comfortable enough to join in on some of the barbershop banter, and wonders if maybe some of us would like to know what he thinks about other topics. Now that he's beginning to come out of his shell, will we kick him back into it?

I don't post very often anymore because, quite frankly, I reached a point several months ago where I could predict with some accuracy the responses I'd read to any given topic. Besides, the forum just isn't that interesting anymore; the message boards are full of member predictions and requests for dream numbers and the like. Too many outspoken members have stopped posting, and I suspect most can be traced to the same cause (see paragraph 9).

In case my vote should matter, I say, "Keep those rants coming, CASH Only." Keep posting, and if someone doesn't want to read your opinion, well, then, I suppose they won't read it. Still, I encourage you to make comments that challenge my own opinions. I would rather see your posts than remember them, because it means you're still here - you're still one of us - you're still a member of the community you've helped to create. I like living here, but it wouldn't be the same without you. So keep 'em coming. Even if no one else reads what you have to say, I'll read it, if for no other reason than because I believe someone should. If you'll take the time and trouble to speak your mind, I offer you my promise to see that your words will find an ear. You're one of us, and I owe you that meager consideration.   

We're heading for territory none of us wants to occupy. Todd our God might own this web site, but LotteryPost.com really belongs to all of us; it's ours because we are the communal heart that beats within its heaving chest. If we don't come together now, we may soon divide into East LotteryPost.com and West LotteryPost.com. Or, if you prefer, Upper LP.com and Lower LP.com. No? Right and Left? Red and Blue? Well, then, make up your own analogy, but I'm asking you to choose one that will cause you NOT to want this to happen as much as I ... um ... don't (I think that's right).

Well, you know what I mean. At least I hope you do; not for my own sake, but for the sake of our community.

Merry Christmas, everyone ... 

I Agree!                  But jim695, do you know what's so disheartening to me? It's the fact the owner (chief bottle washer) of this community has decided to tell CashOnly not to mention anything about what he has been saying all this time ever again, if he wishes to be taken seriously ever again! Please correct me if I'm wrong. I thought our chief bottle washer was supposed to be unbiased? And if so, from what I just read, that seems not to be the case at the present moment! 

Maybe our chief bottle washer should have put that part in a PM to CashOnly as not to let the whole community see him being just as biased as CashOnly is toward any lottery that makes a person take an annuity payout!

And if I am wrong in my assumption that the owner/chief bottle washer was to be unbiased. Then I ask the whole community to please accept my deepest apologies for thinking such an unheard of thing.

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

Raven62's avatar - binary
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #17843
                  June 28, 2005
                  49657 Posts
                  Posted: December 19, 2006, 8:49 am - IP Logged

I Agree!                  But jim695, do you know what's so disheartening to me? It's the fact the owner (chief bottle washer) of this community has decided to tell CashOnly not to mention anything about what he has been saying all this time ever again, if he wishes to be taken seriously ever again! Please correct me if I'm wrong. I thought our chief bottle washer was supposed to be unbiased? And if so, from what I just read, that seems not to be the case at the present moment! 

Maybe our chief bottle washer should have put that part in a PM to CashOnly as not to let the whole community see him being just as biased as CashOnly is toward any lottery that makes a person take an annuity payout!

And if I am wrong in my assumption that the owner/chief bottle washer was to be unbiased. Then I ask the whole community to please accept my deepest apologies for thinking such an unheard of thing.

Following your motto: "Shoot First, Ask Questions Later (if still alive)"?

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
                    Member #91
                    January 19, 2002
                    11926 Posts
                    Posted: December 19, 2006, 9:23 am - IP Logged

Bartista Express writes:     But jim695, do you know what's so disheartening to me? It's the fact the owner (chief bottle washer) of this community has decided to tell CashOnly not to mention anything about what he has been saying all this time ever again, if he wishes to be taken seriously ever again! Please correct me if I'm wrong. I thought our chief bottle washer was supposed to be unbiased? And if so, from what I just read, that seems not to be the case at the present moment! 

And if I am wrong in my assumption that the owner/chief bottle washer was to be unbiased. Then I ask the whole community to please accept my deepest apologies for thinking such an unheard of thing

Sorry, I tend to disagree that Todd is being biased obout this.  It is not the issue of annuity vs. cash only that is being discussed here more than the issue of cash only posting it on evry topic when most of them are not discussing anything about it.  Go back and read through his post, you'll have people talking about winning football bets, and cash only's chime is that he drove through that state and did not play unllucky for life.....and if you go back through most of his post you will see the same thing..That's trolling ,,,he's looking for a reaction.  If he wanted to Cash only could start a topic and just keep updating....I dont think anyone would have an issue with that except for him, and the lack of attention it might recieve.....As a Chief bottle Washer I would have done the same thing cause I know he  has been warned about it before......

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

United States
                      Member #379
                      June 5, 2002
                      11296 Posts
                      Posted: December 19, 2006, 10:05 am - IP Logged

Bartista Express writes:     But jim695, do you know what's so disheartening to me? It's the fact the owner (chief bottle washer) of this community has decided to tell CashOnly not to mention anything about what he has been saying all this time ever again, if he wishes to be taken seriously ever again! Please correct me if I'm wrong. I thought our chief bottle washer was supposed to be unbiased? And if so, from what I just read, that seems not to be the case at the present moment! 

And if I am wrong in my assumption that the owner/chief bottle washer was to be unbiased. Then I ask the whole community to please accept my deepest apologies for thinking such an unheard of thing

Sorry, I tend to disagree that Todd is being biased obout this.  It is not the issue of annuity vs. cash only that is being discussed here more than the issue of cash only posting it on evry topic when most of them are not discussing anything about it.  Go back and read through his post, you'll have people talking about winning football bets, and cash only's chime is that he drove through that state and did not play unllucky for life.....and if you go back through most of his post you will see the same thing..That's trolling ,,,he's looking for a reaction.  If he wanted to Cash only could start a topic and just keep updating....I dont think anyone would have an issue with that except for him, and the lack of attention it might recieve.....As a Chief bottle Washer I would have done the same thing cause I know he  has been warned about it before......

Maybe Todd is less symphathetic towards me now as he used to be simply because (as a New Jersey resident who probably does not visit NY state often) he does not see firsthand as I do how crooked the NY Lottery is for a state that does not use computerized drawings save for Quick Draw.

New Jersey Pick-6 Lotto is a very good game. It has the usual 50% payout vs NY Lotto's ridiculously low 38%-40%. When Todd plays Pick-6, he does not have to choose cash or annuity UNLESS he wins. Mega Millions in New Jersey does require the choice to be made when you play, but if you choose annuity and you win, you CAN change to lump sum. If you choose annuity on MM through the NY Lottery and you win, you're SOL. Finally, New Jersey scratch games that are annuitized (except the "lose" for life variety) have a cash option. NY has numerous annuity-only scratches, NONE with a cash option. NY currently has four versions of Lose for Life.

The NY Lottery has a new director (hired by the outgoing governor; will Spitzer replace him?). He needs to listen to lottery players like me, and push the NY legislature to make changes in the lottery that he cannot make himself. He cannot be a puppet like the current director.

Coastal Georgia
                        United States
                        Member #2653
                        October 30, 2003
                        1866 Posts
                        Posted: December 19, 2006, 10:13 am - IP Logged

Maybe Todd is less symphathetic towards me now as he used to be simply because (as a New Jersey resident who probably does not visit NY state often) he does not see firsthand as I do how crooked the NY Lottery is for a state that does not use computerized drawings save for Quick Draw.

New Jersey Pick-6 Lotto is a very good game. It has the usual 50% payout vs NY Lotto's ridiculously low 38%-40%. When Todd plays Pick-6, he does not have to choose cash or annuity UNLESS he wins. Mega Millions in New Jersey does require the choice to be made when you play, but if you choose annuity and you win, you CAN change to lump sum. If you choose annuity on MM through the NY Lottery and you win, you're SOL. Finally, New Jersey scratch games that are annuitized (except the "lose" for life variety) have a cash option. NY has numerous annuity-only scratches, NONE with a cash option. NY currently has four versions of Lose for Life.

The NY Lottery has a new director (hired by the outgoing governor; will Spitzer replace him?). He needs to listen to lottery players like me, and push the NY legislature to make changes in the lottery that he cannot make himself. He cannot be a puppet like the current director.

CASH,

Direct your vent to the NY Lottery Director- put your energy into it like you have done with your posts here and eventually you might see a change in their philosophy.

I agree with your assessment of the NY Lottery- I'm glad I play in GA and SC...

Good luck

DD 

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10345 Posts
                          Posted: December 19, 2006, 11:10 am - IP Logged

CASH Only

You said, "The NY Lottery has a new director (hired by the outgoing governor; will Spitzer replace him?). He needs to listen to lottery players like me, and push the NY legislature to make changes in the lottery that he cannot make himself. He cannot be a puppet like the current director."

This is true, but there's a bigger problem and that is simply all the other lottery players.  It doesn't matter who a states'ottery director is, as long as the money keeps coming in, which it does, oh does it, the lottery will keep "getting it on". 

The only way to get a game or a payout sstem to changed radically for the better for the players would be if sales dropped off noticeably. Ain't happening. It's lotto - most folks figure (and rightfully so) that it's "getting struck by lightning" at best (odds) so they're not going to get that passionate about it. (We're talking jackpot games here, not Pick 3/4) 

Look at Mega Millions - it has gotten progressively worse for the players but play they do!

these threads can be quite informative but personally I get an extra chuckle out of them because we're talking lottery jackpot games and a lot of these posts assume a win.

Green laugh

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

konane's avatar - wallace
                            Atlanta, GA
                            United States
                            Member #1265
                            March 13, 2003
                            3333 Posts
                            Posted: December 19, 2006, 11:22 am - IP Logged

Sounds like the most complained about lotteries on LP are a microcosm of larger problems in government which sorely need to be cleaned up, revised, even restructured.  However, so long as politicians bring home the right brand of bacon to their constituents while dipping their hands deeply into special interest pockets it will remain same-old/same-old. 

Good luck to everyone!

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                              Chief Bottle Washer
                              New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #1
                              May 31, 2000
                              23260 Posts
                              Posted: December 19, 2006, 12:25 pm - IP Logged

That's ridiculous.  Maybe if you have an opinion about me you should direct it to me, instead of directing it to another member.

By the way, I speak for the dozens of people who e-mail me weekly about the annoying non-stop, repetitive posts made by Cash Only.  To imply that I am biased somehow is ignorant.  Maybe you should try reading the forums before throwing accusations about me. 

You should take your own advice and post your negativity in private.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                              What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                              Help eliminate computerized drawings!