Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

which is best--powerball or mega millions

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 10 years ago by scorpio.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

which game do you think is best--powerball or mega millions?

powerball [ 18 ]  [40.00%]
mega millions [ 11 ]  [24.44%]
both are great [ 13 ]  [28.89%]
not sure at this time [ 3 ]  [6.67%]
Total Valid Votes [ 45 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
LOTTOMIKE's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
Tennessee
United States
Member #7853
October 15, 2004
11338 Posts
Posted: December 17, 2006, 7:14 am - IP Logged

i know i've done this poll a while back but there are a lot of new members.which do you think is best...powerball or mega millions.give the reason why you think the game you chose is best.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23351 Posts
    Posted: December 17, 2006, 9:38 am - IP Logged

<Moved to Jackpot Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

ayenowitall's avatar - rod serling4.jpg

United States
      Member #4416
      April 22, 2004
      1075 Posts
      Posted: December 17, 2006, 10:21 am - IP Logged

I think MegaMillions is best because I don't play it and I've never lost any money on it.

PowerBall, on the other hand, .... 

New Jersey
        United States
        Member #21206
        September 4, 2005
        949 Posts
        Posted: December 17, 2006, 5:09 pm - IP Logged

I don't know if anyone follows it or cares, but I regularly post the expectation value for these games.  The expectation value is the possible reward (the prize size) divided by the odds of winning it.  I bet with an expectation value of 1.00 is considered a good bet.    Typically neither of these lotteries become a good bet until the prize is well over an advertised annuity value of over $200,000,000.

The annuity values of both games are fraudulent in that they do not record the actual value.  As a share of the advertised value, MM actually has a bigger cash prize.  However the odds of winning that prize are actually lower.

Right now with the advertised prizes close to one another, the PB is a slightly better bet.  This is often not the case however.  The expectation value for PB now is 0.37 whereas the expectation value for MM is 0.31

For the record, I live in a border area and can easily play either game.  I do pay attention to the expectation values and play accordingly. 

NY
          United States
          Member #16556
          June 1, 2005
          1053 Posts
          Posted: December 18, 2006, 1:01 pm - IP Logged

megamillion for me only because i dont get powerball in NY and i  dont feel like driving to jersey to play it ,im havin a hard enough time hitting the jackpot on MM so i figure im savin some money too not going for PB Smiley

Raven62's avatar - binary
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #17843
            June 28, 2005
            51098 Posts
            Posted: December 18, 2006, 1:54 pm - IP Logged

megamillion for me only because i dont get powerball in NY and i  dont feel like driving to jersey to play it ,im havin a hard enough time hitting the jackpot on MM so i figure im savin some money too not going for PB Smiley

You would be disappointed if you drove to New Jersey expecting to buy a PowerBall Ticket:

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Coastal Georgia
              United States
              Member #2653
              October 30, 2003
              1866 Posts
              Posted: December 18, 2006, 3:06 pm - IP Logged

I play both games, but prefer the Powerball due to the multiplier feature.

The extra dollar has increased my payout several times...

However, I won't be too picky- I will gladly take either jackpot.

...DD

NY
                United States
                Member #16556
                June 1, 2005
                1053 Posts
                Posted: December 18, 2006, 4:23 pm - IP Logged

ah..i thought nj had it too, guess the news was showing all those people in line at Conn.

pidwilli's avatar - TheChosen
                  Greenville, NC
                  United States
                  Member #48026
                  December 6, 2006
                  135 Posts
                  Posted: December 18, 2006, 5:44 pm - IP Logged

I agree with DoubleDown on this, the powerplay option gives an overall improved chance of a return on investment. If you can even call it an investment.

I would say that Powerball is the most fun to play for me, although, I do play MM from time to time when I travel, but I do not go outta my way to purchase tickets.

Cheers and best of luck in the drawings, the point is to have fun and enjoy the dream of winning, even if living the dream is only for a few of us.

Pid

United States
                    Member #16612
                    June 2, 2005
                    3493 Posts
                    Posted: December 18, 2006, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

My vote is for both LOTTOMIKE. However, I like Mega Millions more than Power ball because California also has Super Lotto Plus game.

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                      Magnolia, Delaware
                      United States
                      Member #18795
                      July 20, 2005
                      789 Posts
                      Posted: December 19, 2006, 11:36 am - IP Logged

I like MM because of the higher dollar percentage amount that goes to the jackpot and that means it takes less time to reach the 50 million dollar cash value than PB. I play PB also but only when the cash value reaches 50 million and that takes forever because of the low percentage dollar amount that goes to the jackpot.

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                        Mcminnville, Oregon
                        United States
                        Member #3013
                        December 13, 2003
                        3092 Posts
                        Posted: December 19, 2006, 12:09 pm - IP Logged

Powerball is 5 minutes away or less and Mega Millions is 2 hours and 15 minutes one way.  I do play both but Powerball is more convenient.  So I play it more and hopefully I will win one of the jackpots.-weshar75

NY
                          United States
                          Member #23835
                          October 16, 2005
                          3502 Posts
                          Posted: December 19, 2006, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

ah..i thought nj had it too, guess the news was showing all those people in line at Conn.

If you saw it on NYC news stations it was definitely Connecticut, since that's a short drive for the news crews. If you do decide to drive,  don't go to Connecticut unless it's a lot closer than Pennsylvania. If you won anything serious you'd pay taxes to CT, but not PA.

California
                            United States
                            Member #46824
                            October 1, 2006
                            270 Posts
                            Posted: December 19, 2006, 9:33 pm - IP Logged

I like MM because of the higher dollar percentage amount that goes to the jackpot and that means it takes less time to reach the 50 million dollar cash value than PB. I play PB also but only when the cash value reaches 50 million and that takes forever because of the low percentage dollar amount that goes to the jackpot.

BaristaExpress...Mega Millions does have a higher percentage amount go to the jackpot then does Powerball, but not that much.  Mega Millions is 31.8% and Powerball is 30.3%(rounded). 

The reason that Mega Millions moves quicker is  Mega Millions has a greater population base to pull from versus Powerball.  Rough estimates are 150 million for Mega Millions, 100 million for Powerball.  The greater the population, the greater the sales.

Morrison, IL
                              United States
                              Member #4657
                              May 13, 2004
                              1884 Posts
                              Posted: December 22, 2006, 8:15 am - IP Logged

Powerball's cash jackpot is also usually less than 30.3% of sales because they have to take away from the jackpot to cover the set prize reserve, and multiple times they've had more second place winners than expected, so the money has to come from somewhere. The states would be damned if they had to pay it out of their own program funds, so, ultimately, the nonguaranteed jackpot winner pays for greater than expected fixed prize payouts and guaranteed jackpot payouts. Mega Millions, on the other hand, has not had any drastic second place prize payouts over the past two years, so they often can pay the full allocated jackpot amounts.