Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 1:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

which is best--powerball or mega millions

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 10 years ago by scorpio.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

which game do you think is best--powerball or mega millions?

powerball [ 18 ]  [40.00%]
mega millions [ 11 ]  [24.44%]
both are great [ 13 ]  [28.89%]
not sure at this time [ 3 ]  [6.67%]
Total Valid Votes [ 45 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
FEMA Region V Camp #21
United States
Member #520
July 27, 2002
5699 Posts
Posted: January 20, 2007, 2:25 pm - IP Logged

Choice not offered.......neither.  Both games are ridiculously high odds games with an infinitesimal  chance of winning a ridiculous amount of money.  Just my opinion.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

United States
    Member #10720
    January 23, 2005
    933 Posts
    Posted: January 20, 2007, 9:09 pm - IP Logged

Mega is better because I can play it and watch it here in nj. But also because it is a lot easier to systemize - I have had much more wins in Mega than Powerball. If they added the Megaplier it would be a LOT better! I wish the two games would merge although that would mean adding more balls. Everytime another state joins they seem to do that and it fouls up my algorithms and then my program crashes on me! What I like with Powerball beside the PowerPlay option is it has a cooler name! "Mega Millions" is too many words & too many syllables! (and redundant unless the jackpot was several million million (trillion) dollars!)

United States
      Member #16612
      June 2, 2005
      3493 Posts
      Posted: February 26, 2007, 7:55 pm - IP Logged

I hope MM on this run sets up a new US record jackpot hit between 365 and 390 million.

CCHS13's avatar - chi jpeg.jpg
        Illinois
        United States
        Member #46704
        September 23, 2006
        3692 Posts
        Posted: February 26, 2007, 8:35 pm - IP Logged

I play both but the power play has MM beat as far as Im concerned

although I hear California's governor "The Terminator" was able to negotiate

a sweet MM deal for their state.  Wish Illinois had it like that

And I even signed Todd's petition

Men Lie Women Lie Numbers Dont

United States
          Member #50120
          February 26, 2007
          13 Posts
          Posted: February 26, 2007, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

i know i've done this poll a while back but there are a lot of new members.which do you think is best...powerball or mega millions.give the reason why you think the game you chose is best.

virtually the same.  I can't name many differences so I voted:  "they are both great"

Psst.....

Where is the "they are both great if you win" option?

heh...

NY
            United States
            Member #23835
            October 16, 2005
            3474 Posts
            Posted: February 27, 2007, 2:18 am - IP Logged

Even pick 3 is great if you win. As far as I'm concerned MM has PB beat hands down, but that will change as soon as PB has a jackpot that's a lot higher than MM. The odds in both games are high enough that there's absolutely no realistic chance of winning, so the better game is the one that will pay more if I happen to get incredibly lucky.

United States
              Member #9579
              December 12, 2004
              2121 Posts
              Posted: February 27, 2007, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

i like the pb because of multiplier too,but when i travel to atlantic city,nj,i can get twice the tickets,but still don't win much.seems like at this time,pb wins a lot out in northwestern states.

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                Gurnee, Illinois
                United States
                Member #49731
                February 12, 2007
                917 Posts
                Posted: February 27, 2007, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

I voted both are great in that they both offer millions of dollars I eventually will win!  In fact, I am going to win the Mega Millions jackpot prize tonight (thanks in advance to all who continue to support this game) and then do a double take in winning Powerball tomorrow night (gotta love living in Chicago near Wisconsin with Indiana not too far away).  Once I win, I will largely play PB because I want to have a chance to win a record amount regardless of the advertised jackpot...one can only do that by focused play using the Powerplay feature (or the Megaplier for you lucky Texans).  It's all about the dough and the 1 in .... chance of winning.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

md
                  United States
                  Member #14047
                  April 20, 2005
                  579 Posts
                  Posted: February 27, 2007, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

I don't know if anyone follows it or cares, but I regularly post the expectation value for these games.  The expectation value is the possible reward (the prize size) divided by the odds of winning it.  I bet with an expectation value of 1.00 is considered a good bet.    Typically neither of these lotteries become a good bet until the prize is well over an advertised annuity value of over $200,000,000.

The annuity values of both games are fraudulent in that they do not record the actual value.  As a share of the advertised value, MM actually has a bigger cash prize.  However the odds of winning that prize are actually lower.

Right now with the advertised prizes close to one another, the PB is a slightly better bet.  This is often not the case however.  The expectation value for PB now is 0.37 whereas the expectation value for MM is 0.31

For the record, I live in a border area and can easily play either game.  I do pay attention to the expectation values and play accordingly. 

Prob988-

What would be the cash value of a $400,000,000 Mega Million Jackpot?  I'm curious and you seem to be the one that would know.  I welcome anyone's best estimation. 

twisted's avatar - underground
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #2376
                    September 25, 2003
                    582 Posts
                    Posted: February 27, 2007, 3:58 pm - IP Logged

Prob988-

What would be the cash value of a $400,000,000 Mega Million Jackpot?  I'm curious and you seem to be the one that would know.  I welcome anyone's best estimation. 

The cash value of a $400,000,000 Mega Millions Jackpot would be approximately $235,155,600 (according to the current cash value to annuity ratio).  This ratio of cash value to annuity would change depending on the interest rate that affects the current market value of government securities used to fund the annuity.

md
                      United States
                      Member #14047
                      April 20, 2005
                      579 Posts
                      Posted: February 27, 2007, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

The cash value of a $400,000,000 Mega Millions Jackpot would be approximately $235,155,600 (according to the current cash value to annuity ratio).  This ratio of cash value to annuity would change depending on the interest rate that affects the current market value of government securities used to fund the annuity.

Thank you!

md
                        United States
                        Member #14047
                        April 20, 2005
                        579 Posts
                        Posted: February 27, 2007, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

Thank you!

twisted's avatar - underground
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #2376
                          September 25, 2003
                          582 Posts
                          Posted: February 27, 2007, 4:06 pm - IP Logged

Thank you!

No problem.  You might want to check out www.ohiolottery.com (official website of Ohio Lottery).  It tries to list a accurate (I don't know how accurate it is) cash value of the current annuity jackpot.

United States
                            Member #9579
                            December 12, 2004
                            2121 Posts
                            Posted: February 27, 2007, 4:28 pm - IP Logged

oh ok.i just got torn away,breaking news about stock market crashing.